Thread: Power steering Issue Dodge Ram 1500

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 22 Hrs 31 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 7 Secs

Power steering Issue Dodge Ram 1500

Hey folks I need some help.
    2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Litre, Rack and pinion steering. 235000 KMs
    I am having a bitch of a time get the air out of my power steering fluid. Fluid type is ATF+4 as Chryco recommends. I have done the wheels off the ground, engine off, turn left/right 20x or more. I changed the pump last Sept, and about 3 weeks ago it started leaking and making noise. I sent it in to the dealers for pressure test, it was fine. But the temp outside was above zero, when it drops below zero, it screams again.
    So I just replaced entire pump and reservoir again, (came from a wreckers) did the bleed, steering lock to lock, it is much quieter, but on occasion I still hear the pump making noise and at low idle the steering is a little stiff.
    Still have air in the system? Any other way to bleed the system, anyone else have an issue like this?
    Last edited by thing1; 01-24-2016 at 08:49 AM.
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 6 Hrs 1 Min 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 19 Secs
    I use a vacuum bleeder for bleeding power steering systems. If you have a vacuum pump handy, make a fitting or adapter so that you can attach it to the power steering resivoir filler. With the front wheels off the ground start the engine, attach your vacuum pump and pull about 15 hg and slowly turn the wheels lock to lock a few times. When turning the wheels "bump" the steering off the locks a couple times but don't hold against the locks, this helps bleed any air out of the pressure relief valve. Release the vacuum and top the fluid up and you should be ready to go. This is how I bleed some of the more stubborn power steering systems.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by misfitmechanic View Post
    I use a vacuum bleeder for bleeding power steering systems. If you have a vacuum pump handy, make a fitting or adapter so that you can attach it to the power steering resivoir filler. With the front wheels off the ground start the engine, attach your vacuum pump and pull about 15 hg and slowly turn the wheels lock to lock a few times. When turning the wheels "bump" the steering off the locks a couple times but don't hold against the locks, this helps bleed any air out of the pressure relief valve. Release the vacuum and top the fluid up and you should be ready to go. This is how I bleed some of the more stubborn power steering systems.
    No vac bleeder, might just send it in and have it done.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    So after the 3rd pump blew up, it turned out to be an issue with the steering rack. All changed and working good! Thank god was I able to return all the pumps and get money back!