Thread: 1997 JEEP TJ - no engine kight no fuel gauge no amp gauge

Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 10 Hrs 17 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 41 Secs

1997 JEEP TJ - no engine kight no fuel gauge no amp gauge

1997 JEEP TJ 4 litre. No Start. NO engine (bus) light, no amp,no fuel gauge. Fuses all good. Battery good. Cranks over. ASR good but switched just in case. Internet mentioned it was CPS sensor. I got 2 (dont ask) did not fix issue. Multimeter are strange. On ALL 3 wire sensors- I get a ground and 5 volts on both wires instead of just the one. Also the red/white main wire feeding computer is 12v when ignition off but drops to 4.1 volts when ignition on. Every electrical item still works on jeep. I also change computer as got overly frustrated with old one and got a used one from wrecker. It produces the exact same readings. I did notice that someone already had the wrecker computer so possible faulty. (unknown) Any suggestions.

Also cant plug in code reader as there is no communication to computer

Anyone? Its now at garage emptying every pocket testing wiring and so far no luck except for bill rising and still no start.

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 36 Mins 40 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    You said you have no gauge power - does this mean you have no ignition power to anything with the key on? I know you said electrical accessories work but I'm just trying to get this clarified.

Have you checked for spark and injector pulse?
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Ignition on -cranks but no check engine light or amp gauge. no communication to computer.. All other electrical issues function. all sensors have a low 4.5 volts but jump to 5.1 when I indroduce 12 volts to orange wire. Changed relays. Changed CPS sensor-many times. Shop is having no luck.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Whoever is working on it really needs to stop at the "No communication to computer" part. What do you mean by that? Was a code reader or scanner plugged in and a code came up for "No BUS" or " No Comms" or something else like that? Or was the scanner unable to connect with the computer?

unable to connect with computer

My Mood
    Buzzed
    If it can't connect, you need the wiring schematic to trace the key on and key off power wires to the computer along with all of the ground wires. Everyone of them needs to be tested for continuity. It isn't going to be very many wires.

I would assume that a shop would have access to the wiring schematics and diagnostic procedures for checking this?

Trace the power wire you were talking about where the voltage dropped with the key on. What supplies power to that wire? Where does it come from? Find the source of the low voltage. Again, a proper schematic would quickly answer all of these questions.

Without really being sure what has been done by the shop, I would question their ability to solve the problem when they are changing crank sensors while the scanner won't link to the computer. The way you have explained it, it doesn't sound like they know what they are doing.

Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 17 Hrs 6 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 57 Secs
    there should be 12v at the obd2 port, would check that first, if it doesn't have power there you need to address that issue, then check for codes

no point going any further until you can connect to the ecm with scanner, your wasting time and money.

if you do have power there then i would check the data lines back to the ecm, if they are good then check that the ecm is getting all the proper power plus grounds it needs.
    Now i have a JEEP I am getting good at fixing things lol

Only has 4.1 volts at port. I temporarily had it running running a 12vfused wire and got engine light on and relays clicking. then no start after a few weeks BUT had codes to read. PO320 which says no crank reference hence changing CPS . PO300 multiple miss fires. I did not change cam position sensor (disc). I seem to have bought myself an expensive wire diagram from garage and thats it. Getting jeep home again and try these ideas. Thanks. Wiring Sucks

Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 21 Hrs 14 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 27 Secs
    This happened to mine awhile back checked all the wiring twice has some other people do the same thing. I turned out to be the main power wire from the computer, the pin was broke and would touch every once in awhile or partially connect giving stupid reading.

It lives. Computer was not receiving full 12v at port. I ran a wire from fusebox and taadaa. thanks fro the input

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 15 Hrs 1 Min 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 21 Secs
    Hey Rudy that's great you got her running again.

Bill and I went for fall run in Minden yesterday and was wondering how you were doing!
    92 RENEGADE

ECNALUBMA NA SI PEEJ REHTHO YM

82 Toyota long bed

Baby steps back into jeeping. Running stock on 31s. Planning on to get out there 2017. Cant wait.Its been too long