Thread: Rear dana 44 upgrading to locker

Time Online: 8 Hrs 52 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs

Rear dana 44 upgrading to locker

Hi every one almost ready to do the work but need some help.

I have a 2014 jku sport , its what I could afford at the time, well I have been good and my warrenty is up and its time for the upgrades.
    I have been compiling parts for my build .

Ultimate Dana 44 crate axle, w e locker.
    rough country 4" X lift kit w ajustable control arms, and track bar
    HD rims 17x9 with offset for lift,
    superchips Trail Dash 2 w wiring harness to control lockers and computer mods, ie gearing ect
    Nitto trail 35" tires

but need help with rear end I have the stock Dana 44 rear , my question is what will I need and do to have an E locker in the rear, and on the front will my wheel ends from my dana 30 fit the new 44 ie steering nuckles and such???

all help is appreciated
    thanks Tim

as I do not have much experience with axles and gears and spline counts I want to be sure what I need and to be able to make informed decision
    thanks again

or if anyone has a Rubicon rear they want to sell drop me a line and what you are asking.....

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 40 Secs
    The rubi rear locker will not just drop in, the housings are a bit different. A better bet is look to a locker designed for the rear you own. Arb, ox, Yukon, lots of options. Also now is the time to consider a 35 spline upgrade and you will need to get a 35 spline locker if you want to do it.

To the best of my knowledge the ultimate 44 uses stock wheel ends and will fit your stock outters just fine.

Don't know if it's in your budget but this wouldn't be a bad time to consider Reid or rancho knuckles though. That way your track bar can be setup for the new high steer geometry that comes with em.

Lastly, to the best of my knowledge you will need a new front drive shaft as the pinion length is different (not to mention the lift height) and the trail dash will not control the lockers unless you own a rubi. You will need to wire up some switches and relays.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Hey Drizit , in with the knowlage .. good to hear from you , I did some research, myself after posting,.
    I think I would say I would prefer to stick w the 30 spline as they would probably be easiest and cheepest to replace and find. .

I think I found the locker I was looking for or would need to match the one in the front,
    its an Eaton e locker , part # 19969-010 its a 30 spline meant for gearing above 3.74 . and comes with wiring harness just not ring and pinion guess Im in for $1600 in parts and then the labor to install . close to what I paid for the crate axle built
    any way and I talked to the guys at superchips and they informed me of what I need to use the Traildash 2 to work to control my lockers , yep more wires..
    as a welder I am used to burning wire not pulling it ...
    wasnt sure about the wheel ends had not got that far yet.
    getting excited as all my parts pile up but sad the budget has been blown for now. hope I get there soon ..

thanks again Drizit, in with the knowlage . hope one day I can repay the favor.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Any time man, have you looked at some of the other brands of locker? That sounds a bit rich. (although I haven't priced one recently) it's not a commonly chosen locker for aftermarket applications, things like you have to be careful to make sure it's fully engaged before gassing it. Some of the others are a bit more robust.

You are right that a 35 spline shaft will be harder to come up with if you damage one. However it's also less likely to happen, they basically put your shaft strength at the same level as a semi float D60. Although... There is also new Teraflex full float kit but they only come in 30 and 32 spline. (and you need 8 bolt rims, it's an expensive upgrade)

I do like the Eaton , and is pricey but its what came in my new ultimate 44 , need the match set ya know. but I cannot find it for less than $1200 unless in the states but get hammered on duties brokerage fees ect. TAX TAx TAX .

I have been looking at those high steer nuckles you mentioned , what do you know about the Teraflex set,?
    and the parts keep coming,

My Mood
    Twisted
    I don't know anything about the teraflex ones except that they don't lift the tie rod quite as high. I couldn't find any comparative reviews. I do know the Rancho ones are basically identical to Reid who are the go to knuckle manufacturer.