Thread: South Western Ontario Aiming For The Yukon

Time Online: 1 Hr 10 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Lightbulb South Western Ontario Aiming For The Yukon

To celebrate Canada's 150th a buddy and I are Jeeping from South Western Ontario aiming for the Yukon. Don't know how far we will get but as the bikers like to say, "It is the journey not the destination". Although in this case the destination does have some importance.

The plan is to leave On Monday May 29, take the long way staying in Canada because of our purpose, head north to the Bruce Peninsula, grab the Chi-Cheemaun to Manitoulin Island, round Lake Superior, and be on our way.

Along the way we would like to meet up with any like minded off road enthusiasts, have a coffee and hopefully be invited to wheel on your favorite local off road trail or with your club or group on an organised event. We will have a flexible route plan and schedule so we hope to be able to accomodate any invitations.

Both of our trucks have 33" BFG KO2 tires with 1-1/2" SpiderTrax adapters, RockHard oil pan and transmission skid plate, ACE Rock Rails, ARB deflator, SmityBilt air compressor, SmityBilt X20 10,000 lb winch, Cobra 19DXIV CB radio, class III receiver hitch with D-ring shackle kit, 30' 20000 lb tow strap, tools, spare oils etc, and whatever else. And we are using GaiaGPS on an Android Tablet.

In addition the 2016 Wrangler JK 4-door has 2-1/2" Rock Krawler Flex Stage 1 suspension lift, TrailHead Customs steel front bumper and MetalCloak Diff cover; and the 2014 Wrangler JK 2-door has a winch mount that can be readily moved between front and back.

We are retired guys, each with one full year of off road experience with the London Area Jeep Owner's Club [LAJOC] including a basic club organised local Off Road 101 course, a full day very serious OF4WD Off Road 101 course up on the Canadian Shield, and some additional weekends up on the Shield around Bobcaygeon and Minden mostly rock crawling, first on beginner then on intermediate trails. We are definitely not into advanced trails or deep water. And mudding - well it's OK but rock crawling is not so messy

We are adventurous. We'd love to spend some time on your favourite local trail or with your club or group on an organised event. We are using the Gaia GPS app on an Android Tablet, so if you can point us to GPX files for local trails that would be very helpful.

I'll keep this thread updated as our plans evolve. I may start a FaceBook page for this event but, while I have been a high tech computer guy for decades, I am relatively new to FaceBook.

I have on past holidays been to the west and east coasts and up the MacKenzie highway when it was gravel to Hay River - but that was back in the '70s in a Mazda 616

Thank you,

FeMick@hotmail.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MickDawdy
    https://www.facebook.com/London-Area...12253/?fref=nf
    LAJOC | Welcome to LAJOC’s New Website
    http://mdawdy.webs.com/

Time Online: 1 Mth 20 Hrs 24 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 32 Secs
    Hey guys I'm sure glad you posted your trip on hear. I'll be following, good luck sounds like quite the adventure.
    Don't ask me cause I don't know.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 12 Hrs 58 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    sounds like fun... will be watching for updates and pictures.... we all like pictures.... check out T.O.R.E park in Alberta... I have friends there that say its awesome!
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
    ... check out T.O.R.E park in Alberta ...
    I Googled TORE. Looks like an adventure. Will put it on the list

Time Online: 4 Mths 3 Days 6 Hrs 26 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 8 Secs
    Very cool and the best of luck. Will be following this for sure.
    IM GOING TO FECAL IN YOUR GARDEN

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 8 Hrs 45 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 23 Secs
    i enjoy following these types of journeys. wish i could do the same one day.

feel free to stop by my place as you head towards the soo. i'm about an hour west of espanola on the highway.
    proud OF4WD member #3875

Time Online: 1 Yr 3 Mths 2 Wks 5 Days 3 Hrs 24 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 38 Mins 59 Secs
    subscribed, looking forward to further posts
    WHAT WOULD MACGYVER DO?

2004 rubicon: 12,000 lb titan winch, 35" goodyear wranglers, staang's belly-up skid, cobra 29 cb, highline fenders, trailhead bumpers

http://www.youtube.com/user/onehosereh#p/u

VA3 HWG, OF4WD #5571, RETREAD #1

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 37 Secs
    Sounds like a heck of a trip. When I was heading to BC I found a site that had lots of trails in the west end of the country, I'll see if i can track it down for you again.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 15 Hrs 38 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 20 Secs
    I will be following your adventure aswell. I love road trips however i do it in comfort of my 10 foot truck camper. But in an newer open jeep would be bad to the bone hahahahahahhaa. I wish i was retire..........soon nuff though.
    92 RENEGADE

ECNALUBMA NA SI PEEJ REHTHO YM

82 Toyota long bed

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 2 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 22 Secs
    This sounds like quite the adventure keep us up to date with pictures and stories.
    2dr 5spd Cherokee
    I want to be tugged
    SMWIA 539

Thank you all for the interest. I'll post a proposed itinerary before we leave, and update it as we go along

Time Online: 1 Wk 9 Hrs 18 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 36 Secs
    Sounds Fun!
    2010 JKU Rubicon

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 5 Hrs 2 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 34 Secs

South Western Ontario Aiming For The Yukon

Following. Love these kind of adventures......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    RIP OD, YOU'LL BE MISSED.... BUT that's OK 'cuz you've been REPLACED !!!

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 6 Days 15 Hrs 10 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    Subscribed! watching with anticipation....
    89 YJ, 4.0 HO, 999 Auto, Twin Sticked D300, SOA, Full width 5:38 D60 front ARB, 5:38 full float D60 rear Detriot, 35 spline shafts, disc brakes all round, aluminum rockers, cage mounted racing seats, custom dash, tilt /quick disconnect steering, 39.5 TSLs on hummer wheels with double bead locks, full hydro steering, hydro boost brakes, 8274 w/synthetic rope, CJ front clip & tail gate, Custom Olive Green Paint Job !

SW Ontario to the Yukon

I have created a FaceBook Private Event where I will post pics and notes at the end of each day - as long as I am near a tower If you wish to meet up us for a coffee, or invite us to wheel on your favorite local off road trail or with your club or group on an organised event, or to just follow the progress of our adventure, then please send me a FaceBook Friend Request. Then in return I will invite you to the event page.

Note too that if I have already invited you, you in turn can invite your friends. I encourage you to do this for any friends who you expect may be interested in following this adventure.

Thank you,
    Mick Dawdy <- This is my FaceBook name. You can find me with a FaceBook search

Time Online: 10 Mins 57 Secs
    I done this drive twice once ina 88 Jeep Cherokee other time in a 2011 wrangler .. word of advice bring jerry cans. The Alaska Highway don't have a lot of Gas station. I remember filling up the tank at Fort St. John and then didn't refill till Fort Nelson then all the way to Whitehorse. Once you are up at the Kondike I suggest spending time in town and go for a drive up to dawson city.. that be a 5 hour drive from whitehorse. Also go for a cruise up the Dempster highway. The Yukon is the last true frontier. O and remember to wave when you see other drivers up there it a local thing we all do cause you might not know who save you when your broken down on the side. There is also no cellphone service once you leave whitehorse.

Thank you. I have ordered a jerry can mount so will be carrying the extra fuel.

Sunday May 28, 2017 Al Bennett and Mick Dawdy left from Brantford and London Ontario respectfully in off road prepared Jeep Wranglers heading for the Yukon. The purpose of the trip was to celebrate Canada 150. We returned about 8 weeks later.

I have completed my writeup about the trip to the Yukon and have decided to post it on each of the FaceBook sites and WebSites where I first posted the introduction. I have written it using MS Word 2007 and saved it as both docx and pdf files.

Since my original post of this summary on my FaaceBook page I have modified the file to include two videos which I had inadvertently omitted - one of a fox running along the road allowance near Sambaa Deh TP, the other a short video of my own Jeep in action with the Thunder Bay Jeep Club; and in the text I renamed what I had mistakenly called snow grass to its proper name, cotton grass.

The files are on DropBox set up so that anyone with the link can access them. Here are the links...

DOCX
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mz0ylxid3e...Pics.docx?dl=0

PDF
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nw2fgc05e...orPdf.pdf?dl=0

Click on either of the links - they take you to DropBox. There is an option in the "..." at the top right to download the file.

The docx file contains the full text with all pictures, links to Google maps, and with embedded videos, so it is a very large file - 518,115 KB. That is in excess of 500 megabytes, a bit more than a half of a gigabyte. It is the embedding of the videos that makes it so large.

The pdf file contains the full text with all pictures, links to Google maps, and with links to YouTube for the videos. This file is 9436 KB.

If you have any problems accessing or using the files please let me know. I do hope that you enjoy this.

Mick

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 12 Hrs 58 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    that was awesome.... thanx for sharing!