Thread: Jeep starting problem

Time Online: 2 Days 2 Hrs 15 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs

Jeep starting problem

So here is the problem I have a 97 tj 2.5l when I turn the key everything on the dash goes dead when I push the clutch in to start it. I tested the battery 12.6 good chased it to the starter 12.6 good. Pulled the ignition switch to see if it was broke nope its good. Put a fuse in the # 20 fuse slot nothing changed. Tried the old jump the starter with a screw driver trick nothing just a hum. That's where I'm at any ideas?

Thanks

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 43 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 50 Secs
    Check your grounds.

Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 9 Hrs 30 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    x2 on the grounds
    Essex County Jeep Club
    -1999 TJ "50 Shades of Jeep"

Checked the grounds all seem good so I pulled the 19 fuse and put it in the 20 slot jeep started (yes). Went to bed got up went to start the jeep and nothing check all fuses all are fine. Put 19 fuse back in same problem as before. Everything goes dead. I believe 19 fuse controls the clutch safety with so disconnect switch and make a jumper for the plug. That 'll do it. NOOOpe still nothing. I don't get how it started once ran great and now is dead again. UGH!

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    When you say you checked the grounds and they "seemed good", what does that mean? Did you check them for continuity or just look at them? Did you disconnect them and clean them? Did you remove and clean the battery terminals/connections?

It sounds like you getting a large amp surge and a connection is going dead as a result. This may be because of a connection with a lot of resistance. I'd take jumper cables and send positive and negative power down to the starter and rule out the starter. The fact that you stated that you jumped the starter at the solenoid and it still didn't work is an issue because you just bypassed the entire electrical system...except some ground connections...
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 20 Hrs 24 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    make sure all the terminals are completely tightened. my buddy just had a problem with his and it was a semi tight terminal on the post.
    Also have another battery hooked up with cables and try again. some batteries will hold a charge but don't have the cranking amps available to start the vehicle.
    IM GOING TO FECAL IN YOUR GARDEN

Yes checked all grounds for continuity and have replaced the starter already, new battery and cables

Thanks

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 21 Hrs 40 Mins 40 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 18 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomeo View Post
    make sure all the terminals are completely tightened. my buddy just had a problem with his and it was a semi tight terminal on the post.
    Also have another battery hooked up with cables and try again. some batteries will hold a charge but don't have the cranking amps available to start the vehicle.
    X2 with this. I had the same problem and it cost me $300 for a new starter...turned out the positive connection the the battery was loose...so now I have an extra starter because they are not returnable...
    Signed with an X

May my YJ RIP
    Building an SAS Xterra...slowly

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by MobyBaja View Post
    Yes checked all grounds for continuity and have replaced the starter already, new battery and cables

Thanks
    If we can assume your battery is good...then again, the ground or positive battery connections are the only things to go wrong if you have a new, properly functioning starter since you stated that if you jumped the starter at the solenoid it still won't turn over.

If you still don't think you have a continuity issue, then I would do what I suggested in my previous post and just run a set of jumper cables straight from the battery posts to the starter and see if it turns over. If it turns over, you still have a continuity issue between the starter and the battery.

Got the voltage meter out today and learned the voltage coming out of the switch on the yellow feed is only 8 volts. The main power wire is delivering 12 volts to the switch and the switch is delivering 8 volts. I ordered a new switch lets hope thats it.

Nope not it. So I set out to remove and clean up all the grounds I could find. Turned the key and it started. Alright turn the key again and just the solenoid clicked ugh. Turn it again turns over but have to pump the gas pedal to get it to run. At least it runs kind of. Any Ideas where to go from here. I'm guessing the grounds were weak and under load of starting were no good.

OK problems back but if I turn the wheel it seems to start. Is there a ground connected to the steering wheel on this thing?

Found it ..... turns out that the new battery ground cable that I installed was bad. Love it when that happens. Don't know how don't care. Replaced it with one off a parts rig and away she goes. Exchanged the new one and installed it. She runs like a dream 6hrs of wheeling later all is good.

Thanks for the help

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Glad you got it figured out...

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 10 Hrs 5 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 37 Secs
    fawken grounds... glad you got it fixed...
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs
    Lol so the first 2 suggestions were right after all. I hate chasing gremlins.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.