Thread: so i've kinda lost count.......

TJ_HOOKER is offline Moderator (yeah that's right, still.)
    My Mood
    Doh
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 5 Hrs 54 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min

so i've kinda lost count.......

So those of you who know me well, know I have a bit of a problem with vehicles. I literally have lost count how many i've owned and not one of them was left stock...... ever...... For those that I have not met yet..... I like to build, period. I like to build and when the building is done, I'm bored and move on..... usually at a loss Now however that I'm being medicated late in life for ADHD, its slowed me down a bit and hopefully I can stick with this one till the end....

Right, enough sappy stuff........ on to the start of a beautiful friendship...

The deets:

2015 JK Rubicon bought with 18,000km 2 weeks ago

we started last night installing:

2.5" Rubicon Express basic lift, no shocks (for now)
    1.25" Rough Country body lift (very nice install, way better design than available for previous generations)
    35x12.50x15 BFG m/t KM2
    15" Pro Comp black steel wheels (very minor caliper grinding in the front req'd, just some rough edges left from casting)

I chose the RE 2.5" basic lift based on what I read on many forums. I'm maybe going to wheel this a few times a year, and nothing too serious. Camp NL for sure, maybe a few other smaller runs here and there but I need to drive this to work every day and I commute from Guelph to Hamilton. With the 2.5" lift, there is no exhaust relocates (2011 and up) and drive shafts should not be a concern for some time either. I will run my stock shocks till they wear out, then change them later. No point in them just laying around or getting thrown out, theres nothing wrong with them and are actually working well with these springs. The RE kit is an easy install, and I like the rear track bar relocation bracket being on the frame vs the axle as well.

However, I do want to be on 35's with enough room to keep my stock flares, I prefer their looks vs aftermarket options (again, I'm getting old I guess lol). This is where the body lift comes in. With the JK body mounts being very different from previous wranglers, I can honestly say this is a really nice mod. There was a time when children would cry at the empty shelves where hockey pucks used to be at crappy tire, robbed of the good ol' game by those who wanted more lift.... This kit is very well thought out, great instructions, and very solidly built. I also like that when I POR-15 the entire underside of the JK this year, i'll get better access to the top of the frame, and when cleaning it as well. When I do have the coin for better drive shafts, i'll likely do a belly up skid plate and be able to lose the manual shifter extension we installed as part of this kit.

I've also acquired front and rear steel bumpers used off Kijiji and will be going on next. I need to decide if I want to move the new rear bumper up to conceal the minor gap from the body lift or use a weather strip of some kind. It depends on how much cutting and welding is req'd, I'm getting kinda lazy in my old age
    The bumpers are in decent shape, I threw a coat of paint on for now and will remove them for sandblasting and line-x before the winter. They are an ebay-ish brand, DV8, but they ship out of Cali and they stock replacement parts such as the swing away carrier's latch mechanism which is seized pretty bad. Excellent support and customer service, they quoted me $55usd to my door for the entire latch assembly, not too shabby. Front bumper is full width and offsets up to the flares for higher clearance and has a winch plate that bolts in to a recessed area on the top with the nuts welded in the bumper for easy installation or removal. Pics to come when installed.

big shout out to Alex at Jeepman's Offroad, can't thank you enough.

And on to the pics. We all know what a JK looks like on 35's so I won't prattle on too much more.

cheers,

hooker

Quote Originally Posted by NINE-T-1-RENEGADE View Post
    Sounds like you're making friends all over the place.

2015 MK7 VW GTI (Tam's car), catback, INJEN intake, DV+, Eurodyne stage 1.5 tuning 300whp

2015 JK RUBICON 2-door

2010 Harley-Davidson FLHX

TEAM VAS-NUT for life!!!!!!!!1111

Time Online: 4 Mths 3 Days 6 Hrs 48 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 8 Secs
    Looks good, nice stance. Was there any other dicking around with the body lift like previous models? linkage issues etc?
    Diggin the plate too
    IM GOING TO FECAL IN YOUR GARDEN

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 3 Mths 4 Days 14 Hrs 20 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 46 Secs

so i've kinda lost count.......

Looking good hooker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Professional lunatic
    TJ V3.0 in the works "This is only temporary, unless uhhhh..... it works."
    I get confused once numbers get bigger than I can count on my appendages. I'm only good up to 21!
    one quarter turn before something breaks is a good torque spec.

My Mood
    Doh
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomeo View Post
    Looks good, nice stance. Was there any other dicking around with the body lift like previous models? linkage issues etc?
    Diggin the plate too
    not really. There is a shifter spacer for a manual gearbox that must be installed but that's it. It came with plates to move up the back bumper but I didn't bother with those as I'm changing the bumper anyway.

My Mood
    Doh
    Quote Originally Posted by H8TO WRK View Post
    Looking good hooker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_HOOKER View Post
    not really. There is a shifter spacer for a manual gearbox that must be installed but that's it. It came with plates to move up the back bumper but I didn't bother with those as I'm changing the bumper anyway.
    Good info thanks. Might get this and a budget boost for the wife with some larger boots as well.

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 9 Hrs 35 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    Glad you kept the white letters out and my bad influence paid off!!

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 1 Hr 45 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 36 Secs
    White letters out! Man, you are old. Haha.

I second the Rubicon express lift kits. Put a re5525 on my cj 6yrs ago. It was the first lift kit i installed. Was very easy and complete. Didnt need anything else. It has been problem free and the quality is top notch.

I also second Alex as a great guy. Always had time to talk me through hurdles with my build.
    84 CJ7

03 Hummer H2

My Mood
    Doh
    Good info thanks. Might get this and a budget boost for the wife with some larger boots as well.
    I thought about it to save $$$ for other parts, however I really didn't like the way the jeep swayed on the highway or nose dived under heavy braking conditions. even at 2" spacers you should still relocate the rear track bar, my 07 jk had a 2" coil kit and no rear TB relocate bracket and it pulled the rear to one side noticeably.

with this kit i find the jeep far more stable at speed on the highway, and it takes some serious winds to move me in my lane now vs when I brought it home from Kingston bone stock. I commute daily from Guelph to Hamilton and see the 407, 403, Hwy 6, and plenty of backroads. It's still comfortable, and not terribly rough riding either.

just food for thought. to each his own....... cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_HOOKER View Post
    I thought about it to save $$$ for other parts, however I really didn't like the way the jeep swayed on the highway or nose dived under heavy braking conditions. even at 2" spacers you should still relocate the rear track bar, my 07 jk had a 2" coil kit and no rear TB relocate bracket and it pulled the rear to one side noticeably.

with this kit i find the jeep far more stable at speed on the highway, and it takes some serious winds to move me in my lane now vs when I brought it home from Kingston bone stock. I commute daily from Guelph to Hamilton and see the 407, 403, Hwy 6, and plenty of backroads. It's still comfortable, and not terribly rough riding either.

just food for thought. to each his own....... cheers
    That is excellent info and review. Thank you. Id definitely like something solid for her. We all know what its like driving a box on the highway lol. She'd like to learn to wheel a bit too but more so be my passenger. Shes got a 2017 Rubi JKU so this kit would be great for her.
    I will seriously consider Rubicon Express. I had the RE 4" leafs in my YJ. Did the job for sure and softened up just as I was jumping to the next level of suspension setups. Kinda wish I hadda kept them a bit longer t see the full potential. no turning back on the rig now lol

My Mood
    Doh
    That is excellent info and review. Thank you. Id definitely like something solid for her. We all know what its like driving a box on the highway lol. She'd like to learn to wheel a bit too but more so be my passenger. Shes got a 2017 Rubi JKU so this kit would be great for her.
    I will seriously consider Rubicon Express. I had the RE 4" leafs in my YJ. Did the job for sure and softened up just as I was jumping to the next level of suspension setups. Kinda wish I hadda kept them a bit longer t see the full potential. no turning back on the rig now lol
    right on man, make sure you post pics when it's done. cheers!