Thread: Drive clean and the hated p0456 "small evap leak"

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 6 Hrs 7 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs

Smile Drive clean and the hated p0456 "small evap leak"

2010 JK 3.8 2 DR
    I have been looking at the check engine light P0456 for years.
    It is a very small evap leak. I never gave a damn.
    Just like the cracked windshield.
    However, dummy that I am, I got blindsided by the 7 year drive clean rule.
    Just as I am going to enjoy the rest of the summer off before my birthday sticker renewal.
    I cleared all the codes by pulling the battery.
    Scan tool could not clear the permanent P0456.
    Replaced gas cap, evap integrity module, o ring and electrical taped evap lines near battery.
    Drove it till all the other monitors were clear.
    Evap monitor was still not ready.
    I took it in in for the free Drive clean test and it passed with the evap monitor not ready.
    Was I ever pleasantly surprised!
    That is one major easy loophole in the driveclean test for so many of us to exploit.
    Last edited by Chad; 07-25-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    2010 Rubicon 2dr wimp wagon

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs
    Yep in a tj there's usually one monitor not ready due to a design flaw that chrysler has a tsb for. But if you are out of warranty they will happily charge you to fix it. Unfortunately you only get to have one monitor not ready before you fail so don't have any other issues
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 6 Hrs 7 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    It seems like too many drivers were furious at the drive clean rules waiting for their monitors to complete the lengthy drive cycles.
    And, as you have pointed out, many vehicles have buggy algorithms. (not just jeeps)
    It is good that the government caved in a bit on these stupid rules.
    Just wait, 10 - 20 years.
    100's of Millions of vehicles will have cracked and leaky evap hoses, sensors and seals.
    Citizens will be so pissed off, I predict the governments in all provinces and states will shitcan these stupid rules.
    Problem is, how will millions of drivers extinguish their damned CEL or MIL lights?
    recalls?

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Wk 21 Hrs 39 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    I was thinking different with the new rules. First time pass (conditional) and fail two years later if unresolved.

Edit...yes. Cut and pasted from MTO.

"The prohibition against consecutive conditional passes comes into effect on April 1, 2017. A vehicle that received a conditional pass after that date will be prohibited from receiving a consecutive conditional pass at the next testing cycle.

For example, if a vehicle was issued a conditional pass in May 2017, the next scheduled test in May 2019 must result in a full pass."

So your saying they are passing (full) vehicles with an incomplete monitor? That's great if true. I'm in the same boat. Be great if I could get one more full pas before a conditional.
    Last edited by Cornchip; 07-27-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 9 Hrs 30 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    my understanding is a conditional pass is only if you failed and you payed $450 or more in repairs and you still cannot pass an etest. With the regular etest you can pass if 1 or 2 monitors (I believe it depends on what year of vehicles) haven't checked in, but you do not have a check engine light on. I just had an etest done on my tj and it had a lazy o2 sensor but it hadn't checked in yet so I passed but as I was driving the next day my check engine light came on
    Essex County Jeep Club
    -1999 TJ "50 Shades of Jeep"

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 4 Hrs 21 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 50 Secs
    So we have already learned that vehicles will pass with 1 monitor that hasn't run.

The Evap monitor will not run its tests during the following conditions: Fuel tank is nearly full, or nearly empty.

So in theory, if someone didn't want their Evap monitor to run (say they had a evap code that kept coming back), but had to make sure the other monitors had run, they could just drive around, making sure to keep the fuel tank nearly full.

But of course no one would ever cheat their way thru an etest, so of course its only a theory.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs

Drive clean and the hated p0456 "small evap leak"

Quote Originally Posted by jpaholic View Post
    But of course no one would ever cheat their way thru an etest, so of course its only a theory.
    Lol no.... Never....