Thread: Need assistance in finding vibrations Cant FIND IT

Time Online: 3 Days 8 Hrs 40 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs

Need assistance in finding vibrations Cant FIND IT

Hey guys and gals . How's it going please HELP ME !!

So long story short the jeep vibrates in the steering wheel as well as in your seat where your butt is and floor pan .

-90km -.-slight vibration is picked up in the wheel nothing in seat
    -100km-.- vibration is now noticeable in the wheel and now feel it In the seat
    -105-110km-.- vibration is very intense in wheel . Vibration is strong in seat . And now you can feel vibs in floor pan big time

Vibration isn't strong at first just a small quick shutter feeling but grows with speed emensely

4 months I've never gone above 100k or else it shakes bad. Over the past 2 weeks I've changed the following to try and stop it
    -front and rear diff rebuild (carrier bearings /pinion bearings /all shims/hardware/crush sleeve .everything but the main gear and spider gears
    -front sway bar links rubicon express 0-2" tj adjustable
    - had tires balanced and rotated on Friday of last week .
    - new 2x Dana Spicer front axle u joints non greasable NOTE this was done Monday this week. Masked the issue a bit but vibs still there . Allowed me to go over 100 to 105/110 . Only allowed me to get 5 km/h more before they start up again
    - new Dana Spicer 2x non greasable rear driveshaft. 3 weeks ago
    - installing tomorrow don't know if it'll help but 4 new bistein 5100s 0-2" shocks.
    -back in feb/March I can't remember I put a CROWN grand Cherokee upgrade kjt with the solid bar and bigger the rods . Almost all of the rubber boots on the the rods have broke and leaking grease big time . No play in tierods though .
    !!No play in ball joints either !!

ONLY thing I can think left is tires because they are warped really bad plus were out of alignment for like 5 months so I'm thinking it's tires but won't they fix themselves with time ? Or is it at a point were there to far warp to even out?

Or / transmission (I've had some rattling and sounds from it past month but this vibration was here prior to it so I believe if anything the vibration has started it's collateral damage and other weak bearings are failing now . I'll record the sound tonight and update post after .

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 12 Hrs 58 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    tires may have a flat spot or a slightly shifted belt, have you tried rotating them to a different spot, maybe borrow a buddies tires and run it?
    remove front drive shaft and run it?
    not sure but did you extend/relocate rear trac bar after lift
    have you checked all fasteners from the lift you installed something may have come loose
    checked pinion angle after lift?
    put it up on stands and run it up to 100 km... do you still have same issue, if so, not tires or rims. I'm not a big fan of doing this but have done it..

I don't know a lot about TJ/LJ just tossing out some ideas/
    keep us updated?
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Just to confirm - How did the tires balance? Ok or not? When you say they are "warped", what does that mean? If they are out of round but still balanced ok, you are still going to get vibration.

Have you verified the front shaft is in good shape? Is the CV assembly in the rear shaft in good shape? Are the driveline angles appropriate? None of these things are mentioned as things you have looked into.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Yes I rotated tires front to back . I plan on swapping a set on tomorrow that are same size and will find out then if the tires are the cause .

I plan on removing front driveshaft tomorrow morning and running it. Quick question !! .....even if its in rwd and the front axle isn't under load or being used and is just going along for the drive can it cause that issue .? I thought the front driveshaft was only the issue if used in 4wd and the vibration occurs ..? And my lift is a 1.75 BB above the coil springs . I didn't think that would cause any driveline issues . All I did after that was extend the sway bar links and that's it .

Quote Originally Posted by Stickybongsmoking View Post
    Just to confirm - How did the tires balance? Ok or not? When you say they are "warped", what does that mean? If they are out of round but still balanced ok, you are still going to get vibration.

Have you verified the front shaft is in good shape? Is the CV assembly in the rear shaft in good shape? Are the driveline angles appropriate? None of these things are mentioned as things you have looked into.
    Tires balanced up ok nothing to crazy was required at most 1.5oz on 1 rim but that's the most . Most rims were .5 on inside and outside give or take a .25 oz . And by warped I mean cupping or the term "out of round " as you say . If you pass your hand over the tire you can feel gradual bumps as it isn't warn even .

Front driveshaft u joint at the diff is 6 months old I have never touched the cv joint and I would assume they are old and warn but it doesn't have much play . As i said in orevious post i will be dropping drivehaft tomorrow as well as driving jeep with different set of 31x10.5x15 tires . My jeep is a tj unlimited non rubicon i dont have a cv rear joint just a regular tj style .

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 36 Secs
    So, things it could be.
    As cdt said, the front shaft as the CV joins are old. (any play is too much play by the way)

Rear shaft angle the pinion angle should be exactly parallel to the tcase output angle.

Tires cupped tires will probably not come back to smooth, I suspect ether the front shaft or tires will fix the issue.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

So I got the front driveshaft off to check if that eliminated the vibs
    WINNER WINNER chicken dinner
    The cv was all seized up . The joints wouldn't give much so new cv rebuild needed is all .
    And I changed the tires too to find it pulled straight with the different set on rather than all over the place with my set .... .
    So that just means the tires are gonna wear faster, but i figure I'll change them in January anyways so .
    Thanks cheesy, stickybongsmoking, and drizit for help

Got a new thread coming for a issue I found this morning with rear shocks .

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 36 Secs
    Excellent, glad you found it. Don't forget the centering ball when you do the joints.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 12 Hrs 58 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    glad you figured it out..

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 28 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Glad you figured it out. The front shaft is easy to overlook.