Thread: Changing rear shocks after a week of penetrating oil ....guess what

Time Online: 3 Days 8 Hrs 40 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs

Changing rear shocks after a week of penetrating oil ....guess what

I changed my front shocks about 7 days ago bilstein 5100s.
    I saw the rear upper bolts were rusty so I got some penetrating oils on it 3 times a day for a good week now . I go in with a flashlight and check the top nuts out yesterday and find the passenger side outer nut is perfectly 90 upright to the bolt sheared flat across.. with only 1 weld on 1 side of the thing not even on both sides of the nut or around it .? Unsafe much from factory...
    I simply pinched it with 2 fingers and pulled a little and it broke off .

I'm not even gonna try and save any nuts and bolts now I'm just gonna try and remove all other 3 and replace everything with new hardware . What's my best method to get them out if 1)snap the hex head off 2) snap the nut off ontop and it spins or strips .3) best way to remove welded nuts ?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 37 Secs
    Had to remove them from a friend's rig. We snapped the heads of the bolts off to get the shock out. Then used a coal chisel and hammer to bust the weld nut off (or maybe it was a pry bar, don't remember). There is a notch in the fender right beside the crossmember you can access them from. You can also get a wrench in there to do up the new ones.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 12 Hrs 58 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    Had to remove them from a friend's rig. We snapped the heads of the bolts off to get the shock out. Then used a coal chisel and hammer to bust the weld nut off (or maybe it was a pry bar, don't remember). There is a notch in the fender right beside the crossmember you can access them from. You can also get a wrench in there to do up the new ones.
    yup this is the same cave man method we did on a buddies rig!
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.

Time Online: 3 Days 8 Hrs 40 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs
    What's the easiest feeling the new nut and washer onto and bolt through the bottom upwards like factory . Or bolt through the top down and nut and washer on the bar pin side of the shock . Does it really matter? Or is it easy to put a new nut and washer were factory one was if i drop the tailpipe

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 37 Secs
    I put the nut on top. Just held it in place with the closed end of the wrench.