Thread: Got front driveshaft rebuilt and transazle installed different centering ball

Time Online: 3 Days 8 Hrs 40 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs

Got front driveshaft rebuilt and transaxle installed different centering ball wrong

hey guys so last week tuesday i got my front driveshaft rebuilt at trans axle. i brought it in and told them what i wanted.
    i wanted 3x dana spicer 1310 series HD non greasable u joints and for the centering ball kit everybody was goinig with the

Dana SpicerŪ 211355X CV 1310 Greasable Centering Yoke

now i told the shop i wanted this one and they said it wouldnt work because the height isnt enough and they put on the

Dana SpicerŪ 211544X CV 1310 Non-Greasable Centering Yoke

when i went to bolt it all back up when i would tighten one side and rotate 180° To tighten other 2 it wouldn't be flush with the yoke but kinked out a little. So id tighten them, theyd fall in place rotate 180° again to tighten the first set I did and it be pulled out a little again .

GOOGLE is telling me the 211544 that they put on my shaft is for a cherokee and not able to fit jeeps that came stock with the greasable front center ball and I Google jeep tj stock joints and it said it came with a non greasable . CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHICH ONE I NEEED or if I just need new bolts with new threads to draw it in

Below is a screenshot showing that the height E on mine is 1.650 " The greasable one is shorter at 1.530" making .120" different
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170927-133940.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	337.0 KB 
ID:	104457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170927-133858.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	359.9 KB 
ID:	104458
    Last edited by LJ newb; 09-27-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 25 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Just so we are clear, the pic you posted is of a weld yoke. Transaxle replaced the weld yoke on the driveshaft? Why? What you posted is not the center yoke.

Besides that, an overall length difference of .120" is rather minimal and should be the difference between the driveshaft fitting back in or not. I read your post twice and it is not quite clear to me what is going on or how the length of the weld yoke is relevant to the problem you are having.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 58 Secs
    I can tell you stock would be non-greasable. The rest of your post doesn't make sense as to what you are asking.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickybongsmoking View Post
    Just so we are clear, the pic you posted is of a weld yoke. Transaxle replaced the weld yoke on the driveshaft? Why? What you posted is not the center yoke.

Besides that, an overall length difference of .120" is rather minimal and should be the difference between the driveshaft fitting back in or not. I read your post twice and it is not quite clear to me what is going on or how the length of the weld yoke is relevant to the problem you are having.
    hey thanks for reply..... i dont know why you are saying they aren't the centering yoke in my pictures, i wouldn't post the wrong images when asking for help "plus in the images it says cv socket yoke right at the top under the picture that's cut off." , they are the ONLY dana spicer greasable and non -greasable centering yoke with centering ball kit available for jeep tjs and cherokees below are the links to the parts so you can see better from quadratec what i mean , the pictures simply didnt have the centering balls installed just the yoke themselves with measurements, but YES they are the centering yokes !! here are the links..... I WANT to install the correct one for my year 2005 jeep tj unlimited. in STUS off road http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-5.htm the guy who has a website on jeep repairs he uses the https://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_1102.htm GREASABLE centering ball/yoke kit .........AT transaxle they installed https://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_1103.htm and if you read the title they say the applications they fit and the one they gave me says nothing about TJ's yet all the forum talks are saying to get the non greasable one with that part number 211544x THAT Transaxle installed. i dont want the wrong centering yoke and ball installed simply there is 1 correct option and yet 2 are available with different specs.
    Last edited by LJ newb; 09-28-2017 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RBJeepThing View Post
    I can tell you stock would be non-greasable. The rest of your post doesn't make sense as to what you are asking.
    yes it does if you understand what im asking. 2 types available on the market for the tj GREASABLE and NON-GREASABLE, from dana spicer currently
    certain people go with 1 type and some go with another. i read on 1 forum a guy bought the greasable kit 211355x and it wouldn't ft properly and is having the same issues more or less i am so he went and got the NON-GREASABLE 211544x WHICH transaxle installed on my jeep and hes saying that is the CORRECT one and yet IT ISNT FITTING on mine and each time i rotate the shaft around to tighten the 4 bolts the 2 i tighten always have a couple MM of clearance and arent fully pressed in . EVEN with a pry bar i couldnt wedge it fully in to the fixed yoke on the transfer case so THATS my issue . two many people using both and yet everybody is saying choose the one or the other!! the dealership only sells full shafts so i cant ask them , and both local mechanics havent a clue. thanks please let me know if you have any ideas .

My Mood
    Buzzed
    So, is the issue that the CV assembly does not seem to have enough angular movement to let the u-joint rest at enough of an angle to bolt flat to the yoke? It sort of sounds like that is the issue. Or is it that the two yokes are for two different u-joint widths? I'm trying to understand specifically what the impediment is for the yoke not drawing in the u-joint properly when you do the bolts up. I re-read all of your posts and you did not state what, specifically, is stopping the joint from merging with the yoke.

Almost all YJ/TJ/XJ's use 1310 series joints in the drive shafts so there is a lot of part commonality between them in regards to front drive shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickybongsmoking View Post
    So, is the issue that the CV assembly does not seem to have enough angular movement to let the u-joint rest at enough of an angle to bolt flat to the yoke? It sort of sounds like that is the issue. Or is it that the two yokes are for two different u-joint widths? I'm trying to understand specifically what the impediment is for the yoke not drawing in the u-joint properly when you do the bolts up. I re-read all of your posts and you did not state what, specifically, is stopping the joint from merging with the yoke.

Almost all YJ/TJ/XJ's use 1310 series joints in the drive shafts so there is a lot of part commonality between them in regards to front drive shafts.
    Yes you are correct with my issue . I cannot fully get the driveshaft u joint at the cv to fully go in to the fixed transfer case yoke . If I get one side in the other kinks out on a very slight angle and won't go on flush . . Hense why I thought the new centering yoke / ball was incorrect because that was the only part of the cv i replacd other than the u joints themselves . I didnt tou h the h yoke or the centeeing ball cover i resued them . And i was worried i stripped the holes in the centering yoke when trying to tighten the 4 bolts back up . They would just keep spinning and have no grip it seems . And the dealership wants 9$ a bolt but local auto parts don't carry them either . Any good bolt shops around other than RE Glover? They don't carry them either

My Mood
    Buzzed
    If the CV assembly is running out of angular movement just trying to bolt it up, something is obviously very wrong with the CV assembly. It is hard to say what is going on there without seeing it.

As for other replacement bolt options, you could look to Brofasco and Fastenal.

Time Online: 4 Mths 3 Days 6 Hrs 26 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 8 Secs
    Is the t-case yoke nut backed off a bit?
    IM GOING TO FECAL IN YOUR GARDEN