Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CB Information - A CB'ers MUST READ

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 2 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    The info in this article regarding cable length is erroneous and should be removed.
    ----------------------
    Justin
    2012 Subaru WRX STi
    1996 Dodge RAM 1500
    2009 CAN-AM Outlander 650 MAX XT

Time Online: 5 Hrs 21 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    it is is SOOOO ERRONEOUS........ erroneous.........WTF use some words we can all understand...can you dumb it down for those of us who don't share your heightened level of education.....

ERRONEOUS............

where the fawk is my websters dictionary
    PITBOYZ WILD CHILD
    PITBOYZ BRAMPTON CHAPTER (PB4L)
    OF4WD member # 2543

www.Pitboyz.ca

TEAM MOTIVE MEDIA

God made all people..... and Smith and Wessen made them equal.

Time Online: 9 Hrs 13 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    A suggestion for the clubs out there re CB's ..
    They are old and antiquated. (I have nothing against them at all )
    I know they are cheap.
    But if the 4x4 clubs checked in their local areas they will find different Ham radio clubs that can help get your ham radio licence, there buy opening up a whole new world of more reliable and varied trail communications to you all.
    There are system already in place that allow you to communicate from Toronto to Huntsville and beyond.

Regards
    Richard - VE3UOD

2016 75th Anniversary Wrangler Unlimited X 2
    Sarge Green & Mojave Sand

2007 FJ Cruiser
    3" Lift, GPS, Dual Band Ham Radio equipped.
    285/70/R17 Hankook Dynapro M/T's, DC2 Rims
    Spring Tail Solutions Storage system

Richard;

I've suggested it to more than a few around here. Out in British Coloumbia, over 50% of all off road enthusiasts utilize Amateur radio for many reasons, repeaters, better gear, all sorts of reasons, but for some reason it has not caught on here, i'm in the process of getting my examiners certificate, so i'd be more than happy to run a course and test anyone who wants to get their license. That being said, people around here have an issue paying more than $20 for a CB radio - so $250-400 for a decent mobile ham rig isn't going to fly, especially considering that most people are communicating within 100 meters, and CB does that just fine.

Time Online: 4 Hrs 5 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Well I have a military CB..It is analog..Analog is great for coverage on londistance point to point chatin and digital capture depending on the unit....Digital is good for accurate signal capture and strength..

My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 1 Day 9 Hrs 10 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmatush View Post
    A few things:

I simply plugged in an FM transmitter into the external speaker output of the CB unit and set it to a blank FM station on the stereo - now I have more than enough volume to hear the CB when offroading.

Cheers.
    Clever idea, I think I'll use that idea the next time I hit the trails.

I have a Cobra 29 NWST with a 3' Firestick and find that it performs "hit & miss". Some days I get good reception, some days I don't even though I have the antenna tuned. Maybe part of my problem is too many damn knobs on it.
    just my two cents...take it for what its worth...

95 YJ, RE 4" lift, 33" Procomp Extreme M/T's, Warn M8000 and mud - Trail Queen
    04 Liberty Sport, 2.5" Rusty's lift, ProComp LT245/75R16 AT's & a pair of Hella 700FF Lamps - Highway/Trail Ride & sometimes tow rig

mugsy is offline Mugsy the Animal Steel-Moderator
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 8 Hrs 4 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 57 Secs
    bump for the season
    my wife (RIP) hated my jeep too so i ran her over with it and now we are both happier (me and the jeep)

RETREAD #13

04 Wrangler, 4" lift and 33's

while is is being bumped i would like to note -- the firestik website has alot of incorrect information on it.

Example: The "having wavelengths of coax" thing is completly false.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 44 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by grinthock View Post
    Richard;

I've suggested it to more than a few around here. Out in British Coloumbia, over 50% of all off road enthusiasts utilize Amateur radio for many reasons, repeaters, better gear, all sorts of reasons, but for some reason it has not caught on here, i'm in the process of getting my examiners certificate, so i'd be more than happy to run a course and test anyone who wants to get their license. That being said, people around here have an issue paying more than $20 for a CB radio - so $250-400 for a decent mobile ham rig isn't going to fly, especially considering that most people are communicating within 100 meters, and CB does that just fine.
    If you ever put on a course, PLEASE let me know! I'd love to get a license.

Edit: So I purchased a 3ft wilson antenna but I'm wondering if I should go longer. It's still in the package and I can still return it, but I don't want it to stick above the top of my jeep by too much because I park in the garage. I was also planning on mounting it to my spare tire carrier for the time being (until I get a new rear bumper). Thoughts? I've read the thread on the #1 mistake made by CB'ers, and I've loaded up a lot of threads recently on antenna information, I'm wondering if there's anything else I should know before going ahead with the install.
    Last edited by Engineer Joe; 07-27-2009 at 10:45 PM.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

So where does one locally buy an SWR meter?

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 54 Mins 25 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    So where does one locally buy an SWR meter?
    I scored mine off of ebay for 3 bucks and 8 bucks shipping.
    OF4WD Member #5196

Thank macka, but I was hoping to find one in the immediate area. The guys at the source had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. And although walmart and crappy tire both sell CB's, neither sell the meters.

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 54 Mins 25 Secs
    You can always check out Queensway CB, I don't know anything about it other then the name, and it comes up on google. No website but a map and contact number.

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 16 Hrs 20 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 7 Secs
    macka is a crack head and should have told you to call me since he has forgotten that i have a few radios (like the one i bought, so he could use it?)
    what i post get deleted so never mind

So I have an SWR tuner (thanks to all those that offered theirs), but I can't bring my reading below 3. I ensured there was no continuity between the live and the ground in the cable and there was none. Since I used my tire carrier (the metal part, not the plastic part) as my antenna ground, I'm wondering if my problem is that I just don't have a good ground.

If that is the case, could I ground the tire carrier to the brake light return cable? I'd rather do that than run a separate cable to the frame.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 18 Hrs 53 Mins 40 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs

CB Information - A CB'ers MUST READ

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    So I have an SWR tuner (thanks to all those that offered theirs), but I can't bring my reading below 3. I ensured there was no continuity between the live and the ground in the cable and there was none. Since I used my tire carrier (the metal part, not the plastic part) as my antenna ground, I'm wondering if my problem is that I just don't have a good ground.

If that is the case, could I ground the tire carrier to the brake light return cable? I'd rather do that than run a separate cable to the frame.
    Either ground which i dont think it is if you use tire carrier , if anything check the insulator on the bracket or check the wires , those cheap crimped coax tend to split apart if over tight, if not prob bad magnagic field becuase your antenna is 3 feet long . Shorter then roof .. Francis 5 or 4 feet best antenne for jeep setup and cheapest.
    You you ever in my hood I'll give ya hand got all the equipment .
    Last edited by RockCrawler; 10-27-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    JEEP SRT8 2007 SILVER

Quote Originally Posted by RockCrawler View Post
    Either ground which i dont think it is if you use tire carrier , if anything check the insulator on the bracket or check the wires , those cheap crimped coax tend to split apart if over tight, if not prob bad magnagic filed becuase your antenna is 3 feet long . roof lenght.. Francis 5 or 4 feet best antenne for jeep setup and cheapest
    Umm.... thank you

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 20 Hrs 9 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 51 Secs
    Since this thread appears to be alive again, i hope no one minds me adding a cent or twos worth??
    IMO if you're gonna run a whip off the back, make it a (preferably steel) 102". It's a true 1/4 wave and has the height where sure you're not firing of the principle portion of the antenna, you're at least still radiating something off the upper half which is above the roofline. Re: magnet mounts. I used a Wilson 5k on my ram (center/rear of quadcab) and got a near 2Mhz bandwidth - very versatile antenna!!