Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are jeeps crappy in snow?

Time Online: 8 Hrs 43 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    I'll throw in some more of the same. Can spin very quickly in 2wd but in 4wd it handles quite well. Driving down an unplowed back road the driving characteristics completely change when shifting from 2wd to 4wd. I shift my TJ a lot, too. In and out of 4wd with changing road conditions. Trying to drive up an ice covered hill a few years ago. Couldn't get tractions with the ass end swinging all over the place. Pulled it into 4wd and it climbed the hill like it was dry pavement.

Mike

Time Online: 6 Days 5 Hrs 22 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 30 Secs
    The full frame would be stronger than a car wouldnt it?? And the fact that you are higher is always a plus.
    98 ZJ Slate 5.9
    08 WK 3.0L CRD

Time Online: 1 Hr 45 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    It's easy to read too much into the "SWB Jeeps are lousy in winter" message. Yes they have short wheelbases and rear wheel drive so if you stomp the gas in a slippery situation you are going to spin around faster than in most cars, so either don't stomp the gas on a slippery surface or put it in 4HI and go nuts. Remember 4wd doesn't help you stop

I have a TJ and a Plymouth minivan. The minivan is more stable in snow (front wheel drive, long wheelbase, automatic, no power) but the TJ is my first choice any time the weather is bad. If you're going to drift off into a rush hour trance, sucking coffee eating breakfast and reading the paper on the drive to work, an SWB jeep isn't your best choice. If you're the tiniest bit alert, using 4wd when it makes sense, and not driving like an idiot then the Jeeps are great winter vehicles.

Like everyone says, the best mud tires are generally not the best snow tires so think about going back to boring tires for the winter. I run the MT/Rs all winter and... um... have a lot of fun.

There was one really bad day last winter when I found the Jeep trying really hard to spin around on a road covered with freezing rain (Hwy 12 going up to Port Perry). That spooked me for a bit but then I saw a half-dozen cars go off the road at the same spot. At least I had a winch to pull them out
    Every morning, I commute.
    Mild-mannered man. In a business suit...

Time Online: N/A
    Originally posted by RubiksCube
    Remember 4wd doesn't help you stop
    I've seen this posted here quite a few times. And I have to say I disagree.. 4WD CAN help you stop.. USE COMPRESSION BRAKING folks. Then you have both the front and rear tires helping you slow down. Slamming on your brakes in the snow is a dumb idea anyways. That'll just end up putting you in a ditch..
    And you CANNOT steer when you lock up the wheels.

I've used it on the highway, and offroad.. and anyone that goes offroad knows that this works well when you don't want to be locking up your tires.

Cheers!
    Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world.

Compression braking in slippery conditions will make you loose control for sure so I disagree

Time Online: 34 Mins 16 Secs
    Originally posted by XJGraham
    Compression braking in slippery conditions will make you loose control for sure so I disagree
    How long have you lived in Canada and drove on ice\snow covered roads? Compression braking is what they even teach kids in drivers ed. I agree with Stubbs.
    __ ____
    [l_,[____],
    l--L- -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)-o-)_)

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 10 Hrs 14 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 3 Secs
    Turning wheels still have directional stability as friction is still being generated between the contact surface and the roadway. Stepping on the brakes can overcome the friction generated on the road, creating a slide. Compression braking when used properly with moderate applications of the brakes (ie, not dropping into 2nd while zipping along in 5th) will allow you to maintain control of the vehicle.
    1990 YJ - Pavement Sucks. Put out to pasture
    1999 TJ - Pavement Still Sucks. Inherited the good parts from Pavement Sucks to continue the legacy

Listen young grasshopper to DarkWolfX. He is a man of wisdom and great truth.

Originally posted by XJGraham
    Well, I know it's worked for me.. YMMV...

Of course, you would need to know WHEN to use it and when not to...

Jay74 Guest
    compression braking works best in slippery conditions, sounds like XJGRAHAM been in the ditch a few times lol , try using hte compression technique and you will see the difference

Time Online: 8 Hrs 43 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Originally posted by DarkWolfX
    Compression braking when used properly with moderate applications of the brakes (ie, not dropping into 2nd while zipping along in 5th) will allow you to maintain control of the vehicle.
    On the other hand, application of the brake, when used properly, alone will also allow you to maintain control of the vehicle. The problem with using engine compression to slow down the vehicle is the speed at which it is effective. You don't always have time to wait for the engine to slow you down. I've avoided t-boning somebody on the 401 in slippery conditions using the brakes alone. I guess it's all based on what you're trained to do. Either way, most vehicles on the road would be safe in the winter if driven responsibly. The original question should be, "Am I capable of driving a SWB Jeep in the winter", not is the Jeep safe in the winter. It's all about the driver.

Mike

Originally posted by Landshark
    It's all about the driver.

Mike
    Exactly there is no such thing as a Jeep Error, only a driver error.

Time Online: 1 Hr 15 Mins 35 Secs
    Exactly LS. Most people in panic will stand on the brakes and slide helplessly into whatever is in front of them. Leave LOTS OF ROOM and a combination of engine and brakes to slow you down. This way it'll only be the moron behind you that gets his insurance jacked for following too closely.

I do believe that SWB Heeps require a lot more attention than a LWB 4x4 though. They'll swap ends on you in a hurry if you get distracted. Good tires are a must, the guy who posted about the Goodyear AT/S', agree 100%, best tire I have ever run in snow.
    Need technical services or an anti-virus solution? www.i3tg.com

Disaster recovery? Ask me how. www.dynamicdr.com

My Philosophy

I tried compression breaking many years ago in my old International Harvester (ya I know) and ...well....I was young. Went from 3rd to first, and away I went spinning down the road....WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Anyway, Jeeps are awesome in the snow givin the type of tires, and the driver behind the wheel.

And whats up with mini vans anyway...those guys think they are invinsible in snow and ice....but thats another story...

Mini-vans.....hate those guys...
    "Where does it say Humpty Dumpty was an egg"
    SiSu: "enigmatically tough and independent in personality, exhibiting staying power under the most adverse conditions."
    Your World Right Now
    Proud member of the Krawlerz Team!!

in 2wd on slippery conditions compression braking will make the rear lock up. As far as 4wd i am not sure

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    I hope not...

My automatic XJ seems to compression brake at the drop of a hat! If I just take my foot off the brake on some hills (on-road...) I don't speed up. It's very sensitive to throttle input; I can tell the exact second I have no pedal pressure.

(Hey, is that normal for a 91 4.0 Automatic? Almost feels like a standard sometimes...)

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

That's perfectly normal.

XJGraham - You must be doing something terribly wrong for your tires to lock up...

Time Online: 1 Hr 45 Mins 56 Secs
    >>Mini-vans.....hate those guys...

They're not bad actually. LWB + FWD + no power = pretty tame driving. They don't stop real good but you have to work harder than in most vehicles to get in trouble.

In the Jeep I don't have to wait for the plow and I can drive through the unpacked snow where the traction is better. Maybe the answer is to mount the winch on the front of the minivan and park the Jeep for the winter.

Hmmm... '98 Plymouth Voyager with a winch and MT/Rs. Hmmm....

Time Online: 2 Hrs 21 Mins 27 Secs
    Well some very good valid replys to my post. I've decided to keep the jeep and just be extra cautious of others this winter. Now to replace the windshield to fix my leak and to compile a wish list for the heep. I've spent enough on it now, I might as well put more money into it and make it the way I want it.

carbar Guest
    righton