Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rough idle and stalling

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Time Online: 8 Hrs 14 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs

rough idle and stalling

in the last 2 days my Cherokee has been idling very rough. Yesterday after i started it, it wanted to die twice. It has stalled on me at least a half dozen times in the last 2 days. This is more than usual .Aslo it has been stalling out after i put it in gear and get ready to drive off.

Yesterday I was almost in an accident because it missed and almost left me in an intersection with a car coming.

I am wondering if any of my sensors may be the culprits. Like my O2, MAP, or CPS.
    I am even wondering how well my alternator is holding up.

tried searching but i couldnt find much.
    So any ideas or help is appreciated

thanks, Adam

Real Jeeps don't leak....They just mark their territory!
    1989 Jeep Cherokee, Command-Trac 4WD, I6, 4.0,2 door, Black, Stock
    2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport, Amber Fire Pearl, 4.0, NV231
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/nlavatar.gif Member 9771 old # 2513 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...rokee/logo.gif

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 10 Hrs 2 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 5 Secs
    Auto or Standard ?

1990 YJ... 5.5" lift, 33" MTR's on AR767 rims.... Home made tire carrier... Warn x8000i winch... lightbar with too many lights... and little doo dads all over... http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/
    1990 YJ - Pavement Sucks. Put out to pasture
    1999 TJ - Pavement Still Sucks. Inherited the good parts from Pavement Sucks to continue the legacy

My Mood
    Sleepy
    sorry, its an auto.

I have the same problem with my 88YJ. Is yours fuel injected or does it have a carburator?

-------------
    1988 YJ, 4.2L
    "Do, or Do Not, There is no Try" - Yoda

My Mood
    Sleepy
    fuel injected

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 6 Hrs 29 Mins 37 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 25 Secs
    Try your EGR valve. If I remember correctly there is a vacuum line running into it . Unplug it and see if the idle picks up. Could need replacing and it's not that expensive. At least it wasn't 8 years ago.
    John

Yes, definately check the EGR valve. I had this problem last year and that was it. I can't remember how much it costs though.

...I guess I'll find out since that seems to be my problem as well.

-------------
    1988 YJ, 4.2L

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Alright, i'll check that in a few minutes. I'll let you know if that is it or not. Thanks

Edit: unplugged vacuum hose, still the same.

[This message was edited by RookieJeeper on November 21, 2002 at 04:42 PM.]

I just unplugged the EGR vaccum hose on mine and it solved my idle/stalling problem . I lowered the idle RPM's down to about 500 and test drove it around here for about 30min, constantly stopping. It ran fine, whereas earlier (with the hose installed) it would've stalled at every stop sign.

I hope this works for you

exheep: thanks for reminding me about the EGR valve. I've spent the last week trying to figure out what was wrong, including tearing apart my carb.

-------------
    1988 YJ, 4.2L

next time it's runnin like crap...go out and check your exhaust pipe...What's goin on back there?...Black smoke...Fuel odour?...so on!!

maroon 87,4.2,BA10/231"hence the nick",performance exhaust,30x9.5-BFGs',grey hardtop,kickass stereo and holes in floors no charge!!

My Mood
    Sleepy
    hey...i've got a strong fuel odor when i go around to the back of mine. What's that about?

O.k now we're gettin some where... :rolleyes:
    now..you mention it is fuel injected...I am assuming the (check engine ) light is not on..
    You didn't say it was....so...

If this is right...the problem is most likely in the ignition somewhere.#1 when was your last tune-up done?...Cap/Rotor?Wires/PCV/Plugs?

#2If it was recent..you could pull plug wires one by one to figure out what Cylinder is causing you grief...(easiest way)...then you can follow that backwards if the plugs are still good!!..hope this helps ya!!

If the check engine light is on...do the following to get the codes from the computer...
    Turn key...on,off.on,off..and finally...on..
    the computer will spit out codes..by a series of flashes..long and short!!..there will be a long pause between codes...write em down..I have the code book here to help ya if needed!!.......k!!

maroon 87,4.2,BA10/231"hence the nick",performance exhaust,30x9.5-BFGs',grey hardtop,kickass stereo ...big ass tree killer bumpers and holes in floors no charge!!

[This message was edited by underdog on November 21, 2002 at 07:19 PM.]

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    My FI auto did the same thing. Ended up being the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Made the Jeep run like crap...stalling and crap like that.
    The TPS can become dirty if offroading in mud..clean the connector...then replace it (if thats the problem)

95 YJ...Big tires, Big lift...and ton's of security stuff....and a bunch more toys and crap, and way TOO many stickers...
    "Where does it say Humpty Dumpty was an egg"
    SiSu: "enigmatically tough and independent in personality, exhibiting staying power under the most adverse conditions."
    Your World Right Now
    Proud member of the Krawlerz Team!!

My Mood
    Sleepy
    cap, rotor, unknown. wires and plugs i did a couple of months ago. theres no pcv valve for the model year i have. also, you cant pull the codes on my year . I'll try pulling plugs to see what happens tomorrow. Keep the ideas coming, every little bit helps.

I owned an 88 xJ about 4 years ago and had the same problem, you may want to check your tranny and make sure that your master or slave cylinder aren't going. I replaced both and the problem was solved. A good tune up can't hurt either. If the stick is sticking too hard you will probably have to go the expensive route and replace the slave and master cylinders, good luck. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RookieJeeper:
    in the last 2 days my Cherokee has been idling very rough. Yesterday after i started it, it wanted to die twice. It has stalled on me at least a half dozen times in the last 2 days. This is more than usual .Aslo it has been stalling out after i put it in gear and get ready to drive off.

Yesterday I was almost in an accident because it missed and almost left me in an intersection with a car coming.

I am wondering if any of my sensors may be the culprits. Like my O2, MAP, or CPS.
    I am even wondering how well my alternator is holding up.

tried searching but i couldnt find much.
    So any ideas or help is appreciated

thanks, Adam

1989 Jeep Cherokee, Command-Trac 4WD, I6, 4.0,2 door, Black, Stock[/quote]

I don't think it's the slave cylinder...only because I've lost two on my 88YJ, and all it does (for me) is basically make it drive with no clutch. I would start witha a tune up, then EGR valve.

...it wouldn't hurt to take it to the dealership to check it out. I say "the dearlership" only becauase I've had nothing but troubles taking my 4.2L to auto shops. Remember: The dealership may be more expensive, BUT!!! They are the ones that built the thing and are properly trained on how to fix it!!!

Good luck

-------------
    1988 YJ, 4.2L

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 10 Hrs 2 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 5 Secs
    Maybe Check the tranny fluid.... My grandmothers Auto has 15 year old tranny fluid in it, and stalls whenever it's in reverse, only once, or until the tranny warms up a bit.... gonna change it for her soon...

1990 YJ... 5.5" lift, 33" MTR's on AR767 rims.... Home made tire carrier... Warn x8000i winch... lightbar with too many lights... and little doo dads all over... http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/

My Mood
    Sleepy
    I've checked all the fluids. Oil was done not too long ago, replaced with Valvoline max life. Tranny fluid is till pretty red looking. rad fluid comes up to pressure bottle. Also rad was replaced in the summer.
    Put STP injector cleaner in 2 fill ups ago.

Could it be a bad tank of gas? If so would a fuel treatment help? Tank is still pretty full. I could add one and see what happens. I've got the 75L tank, that will take 78 Liters sometimes.

So, basically I'm hoping it is something like a sensor going bad. Or can be cured when I clean up the blow by.

I hope to have that whole list minus the body work and paint job done within the year.

go to the stealership..
    get the code out.,then you`l know,what to replace

thanks
    97`TJ,2.5,31"MTR,K/N-FILTER.
    your wheelin buddy
    steph.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Injector cleaner can cause stoopid things to happen in an older engine. When funny things start happening under my hood, I usually start by looking at vacuum lines. If you disconnect one, and the idle changes, then that one is probably good, on the other hand, if you disconnect one and the idle doesn't change, that may be part of your problem.

Nissan builds a Pathfinder, but Jeep builds a Pathmaker!