Thread: XJ buying- what to look for?

Time Online: 3 Days 7 Hrs 56 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs

XJ buying- what to look for?

ok buddy of mine wants to get an XJ with the intent to build it up and wheel it. He needs to know what options for axles, engine, gears, transfer cases and anything else important came from the factory - so he has some way of evaluating these used XJ's for their suitability to be built and wheeled.

I'm sure you guys won't fail me!

Caledon_Jeep_Guy Guest
    Hey tell him to buy mine. LOL LOL Just kidding, the wife loves it. Depends on what years he is looking at. THere are a few little differences over the years. Talk to Bender if you want a true expert opinion. LOL He has completely redone his from top to bottom. LOL
    Art

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Ask ten different XJ fans what they like, and what they hate, and you'll get ten different answers.

Except on one item...

Avoid the 2.8 V6.

It's present in the 84-86 model years. In 87, Jeep went with the more reliable, more powerful, longer-lasting and fuel-injected 4.0 straight-six.

Generally, there were two transfer-cases that saw regular use in the Cherokee; the Part-time (and arguably tougher) NP 231, and the full-time NP 242. There's some confusion (on my part) about what was offered in the first year or two, but honestly, I'd buy a later year XJ.

The 2.5 has been offered since new, and saw several upgrades over the years, from the carbed version seen in 84 and 85, to the TBI offered in 86, to the MPFI (multi-port-fuel-injection) added later...

I've lost the pages I've been basing this off of, or else I'd list them. Sorry if I've made any mistakes, but that's the beauty of a public forum... If I do indeed slip up. I'm positive someone will not hesitate to let me know. (It's the only way I'll learn!)

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Originally posted by Caledon_Jeep_Guy
    Hey tell him to buy mine. LOL LOL Just kidding, the wife loves it.
    Art
    I won't kid.. Seriously.

He can buy my XJ. See my sig. My wife hates it.

I would look for the 4.0L HO found in '91+.
    Rocker Panels tend to be the first spot to rust out.
    87-89 equiped with factory tow package had D44 in the rear.
    Look for full guages.
    Look for floor panel rust above the muffler.

I'm sure there's alot more...
    The way everything is going up I am putting a little cat food in all my meals now,
    so when I retire and eat it full time it won't come as a shock to my system.!

thanks for the sales offers i think, naw my buddy has a 2003 tj sport right now thats built up but hes got some cash problems so he wants to unload that and get a early 90's XJ for cheap, then he can pour a few G's into it next summer and have another built rig- a lot cheaper than what he's running now.

My Mood
    Doh
    Time Online: 3 Days 22 Hrs 11 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 19 Secs
    for sure go with the 4.0L H.O if he can get one, or at least the 4.0 , I have one in my xj, and they're powerful little buggers, and not too shabby torque! the 4.0 H.O has 187-194hp/234-244lbft at the flywheel. like was said before, the rockers do tend to rot out first, mine did, but i brought it to muffler man and they welded new metal in for me for about $150. i believe they come with dana 30 in the front and 35 in the rear,(or at least mine did).
    Also a word of warning, be ware of the famous DEATH WOBBLE!!!
    Aperently it's comon in older xjs and mine did it too!( hit about 100 km/h and hit a little bump, and it feels like the wheels are about to fall off). Everyone has there oppinion on what it is, for me, i had to replace the steering stabilizer and had no problems since. Every vehicle has there flaws, but if they didn't, mechanics would be out of a job!! xj's are awesome, so have fun with it and HAPPY WHEELIN!!!

p.s. attached is a chart i found at http://www.wjjeeps.com/engine.htm
    Last edited by gitrdone; 11-29-2004 at 10:44 PM.
    I Got 12 Auto Classes undermy belt, and i'm using a wrench as a hammer!!!!
    MUD, SNOW, ITS ALL THE SAME.........FUN!!
    ------------------------------------------------
    - 1998 ZJ JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9L LIMITED
    - 1995 ZJ JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED
    - 1977 FSJ JEEP CHEROKEE CHIEF

that's good advice i'll pass it on to him , thanks.

Time Online: 11 Mins 12 Secs
    Two words torx and mig.

Rust: Rocker panels, rocker backing panels, floor under rear seat, above winshield and unibody at leaf spring mounts. All mechanical parts are easy purchase but very few body panels.

Outside of rust cherokees are great to work on. Easy to lift and a pleasure to wheel. Good weight to torque ratio, great flex and lots of room for gear and ya can sleep in them.

Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 45 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    The first year of the good hi-po 4.0l was '91 and the last year of the easily modified OBD-1 electronics was '93. Either the part-time NV231 or full-time NV242 T-case will stand up, and the dana 30 can be easily converted to bigger 297/760 U-joints. They'er boxy compared to the newer 97 and later cherokees, so thy'er cheaper. The dana 35 rear can be a problem, so look for a chrysler 8.25, which started becoming available in the 91. I like the 97 and later body style with smoother lines, but any 91 and later model is a good buy. The 4.0l got better in 99. More hp. Look for the AW4 four-speed auto, high pinion dana 30 and chrysler 8.25 rear.That's a good strong reliable combo. The NV 242 transfer case is ok, but I'd go for the NV 231. I hope this can help.

TJ_HOOKER is offline Moderator (yeah that's right, still.)
    My Mood
    Doh
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 5 Hrs 46 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min
    in the older ones, trac-loc rear(like mine) was avail. and i belive the front d30 was high pinion, but i could be wrong. if your friend wants one to dump a few g's into, tell him to go as new as he can. he'll have more to show for it in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by NINE-T-1-RENEGADE View Post
    Sounds like you're making friends all over the place.

2015 MK7 VW GTI (Tam's car), catback, INJEN intake, DV+, Eurodyne stage 1.5 tuning 300whp

2015 JK RUBICON 2-door

2010 Harley-Davidson FLHX

TEAM VAS-NUT for life!!!!!!!!1111

Time Online: N/A
    Originally posted by Burgess
    Two words torx and mig.

Rust: Rocker panels, rocker backing panels, floor under rear seat, above winshield and unibody at leaf spring mounts. All mechanical parts are easy purchase but very few body panels.
    At Cross Canada you can get any body panel needed, aside from the roof.

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 8 Hrs 1 Min 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    Whewww Steel.

Got it all in our new 2001 grocery getter !!!!

Yeehaw.

Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 45 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Good job Pins, they are hard to find. My has it all and a five speed and 2 door which is even harder to find.

TJ_HOOKER is offline Moderator (yeah that's right, still.)
    My Mood
    Doh
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 5 Hrs 46 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min
    hey pinners, what's that thing got in it? pinners--" well, some milk, a bag of potatoes, some carrots, apples, diapers, wet naps, 2 baby seats, an on board dvd player"..................

Time Online: 1 Day 37 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    If he wants a 91-95, tell him to look to make sure there is no oil in the airfilter (a sign the jeep's been driven to sh|t, and not maintained properly)
    He needs to look out for rust under the front fender flares as well as the rockers and above the exhaust.

when I was looking for my new-to-me jeep in september, i was looking for a 98, but i found some kick ass deals on some 96s, 4 door, 5 speed AX15, overhead mainframe computer lol , sunroof, it looks like jeep liquidated a lot of extra options in 96. Monsoon sound system, all kinds of nice 5spoke rims etc.

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 8 Hrs 1 Min 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    The baby seats make it go faster!

Zooooommmmmm!

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 54 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    Originally posted by Pins_CJ
    The baby seats make it go faster!

Zooooommmmmm!
    Nothing like having a cheerleader on the trail giggling and laughing when you bust a U-joint.

Time Online: 18 Hrs 31 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs

XJ buying- what to look for?

a tj/yj/cj/zj/wj/kj