Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Highway Traffic Act - Common Q & A's

88Cherokee Guest
    Ye, I'd like to know if a vehicle that is built and shipped to another province and at the time the laws are followed for both provinces for vehicle safety and equipment, do they have to fall under current laws that may have changed over time.

I don't know if I can word this any better, sorry. My father owns a 87 dodge ram and was built without an catylitic converter. Has passed regulations and such but as of a couple years ago he was hassled by the drive clean saying that they can't pass the vehicle because it had no cat. The thing is though the cat that they say is supposed to be there wont fit there because of the different design. I haven't asked him recently about it cause the thought never came to mind ti'll I saw this thread. The issue was never resolved fully because he just payed the way to pass it anyway (400 bucks) so he can still drive it.

Originally posted by DirtyDan
    OPP (Ontario Provincial Pricks) ask me today...........too much time on his hands
    What area are you from? I love the OPP around here they don't bother us with stupid crap at all. Usually to keep an eye on things make sure no one is driving to kill someone.

Although I have a huge problem with most city cops that like to rape you with every penny you have to your name.

Time Online: 1 Hr 11 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Can't really help you with that one. Emission testing has nothing to do with the Highway Traffic Act (try the Enviornmental Protection Act). As much as you probably don't want to hear this, a garage would be the best one to explain who does and does not need a cat, or try the driveclean website.
    2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - Black
    Don't hate me because I am different.

Time Online: 25 Mins 8 Secs
    ouch! try reading post "pissed right off".. that one hurt.. lost fron plate offroading.. I guess that will teach me to have too much fun!

Time Online: N/A
    Speaking of that thread, I think the question is better asked in this thread.

Q1: What do you do when you lose your front plate wheeling to avoid being ticketed on the way home?

(This one is for the FAQ top portion of the thread)

Q2: If the MTO office is closed like on the week-end or a holiday, how would one go about reporting the loss of the front plate to prevent being ticketed on the way home?

Thanks,
    --Phil
    Phil
    Commanding Officer
    325 Oakville Community Services
    St. John Ambulance

I'll add it to the top on the next update, but I'll answer it here for now:

Originally posted by EMS Paramedic
    Q1: What do you do when you lose your front plate wheeling to avoid being ticketed on the way home?
    To avoid being ticketed? Nothing. Sure, you can say it "just happened", but I'd say about 95% of the responses that police officers get for no front plates and burnt out headlights is "oh, it must have just happened", so you can understand why many officers are reluctant to accept that.

I think the best answer would be what one should do if they get a ticket for a missing plate. First, get a set of replacement plates as soon as possible (ie, within a few days). Take the ticket to court and on your court day arrive a little early and speak to the Prosecutor. Bring in PROOF that you have corrected the missing plate and the Crown may withdraw the charge (this is common practice in Toronto, I can't speak for other areas).

Q2: If the MTO office is closed like on the week-end or a holiday, how would one go about reporting the loss of the front plate to prevent being ticketed on the way home?
    You can't prevent from getting the ticket regardless if the MTO is open or not. To report a lost plate you should attend your local police station. Once reported, the MTO will give you a small card to bring back to the police station which they will sign saying you have reported the plate as lost (or stolen, etc). It is my understanding that if you get this card signed you will not have to pay a fee to replace your lost plates (check with the MTO first as I am not positive on this, and personalized plates almost always are subject to a replacement fee).

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 1 Hr 50 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 44 Secs
    I'd put a lot of K's on during a few years with a few jeeps [CJ's] without doors but had the Cj mirrors mounted on the windsheild frame hinges...... The outside mirrors and the center rear veiw is mint... have never been questioned-Talked to a few cops about it....
    Yj's that have door mounted mirrors would be smart to ditch to door mounted ones in favour for the Cj style..... They look great and stay put during door style changes or total removal.....and can be had new for cheap $.

Anyone interested in a set, check out jeepdoc.com in Tennesee; They have great stuff at mint comparative prices when converted and ship out fast....The stainless Cj mirror sets are around 50 or 60 bucks with everything, I think..... probably $90. after shipping, exchange, etc........

If you try'em, you'll like 'em.....
    2-'52 M38 Cdn's , & a 3rd M38Cdn[ in parts],restored pasture green VEC '46 column Cj2a w/PTO,buzz saw,Resto-Mod CJ3A, \and other publically judged eyesore junk .

mugsy is offline Mugsy the Animal Steel-Moderator
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 8 Hrs 4 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 56 Secs
    This might help about e test ? Ihave had a couple of trucks with no factory cat. they where exempt from test. Had to show that it was not on truck from factory ,check in glove box for build sheet info.
    my wife (RIP) hated my jeep too so i ran her over with it and now we are both happier (me and the jeep)

RETREAD #13

04 Wrangler, 4" lift and 33's

Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 54 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    air bags are not a safety requirement.

Question:

In the HTA it says that a commercial vehicle must follow a officer to be inspected if the driver is asked to do so. With regards to the ERASE program, the HTA mentions nothing about personal vehicles having to follow the officer to be inspected. This means personal vehicles can refuse to follow police officers (obviously MTO and MTE are under different rules) to the inspection station correct?
    hero - the most overused english word

Originally posted by augiedog
    ]In the HTA it says that a commercial vehicle must follow a officer to be inspected if the driver is asked to do so. With regards to the ERASE program, the HTA mentions nothing about personal vehicles having to follow the officer to be inspected. This means personal vehicles can refuse to follow police officers (obviously MTO and MTE are under different rules) to the inspection station correct?
    No, the driver must comply with the inspection:

Inspections, unsafe vehicles

Examination of vehicle

82 (2) Every police officer and every officer appointed for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this Act may require the driver of any motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle to stop, move the vehicle to a safe location as directed by the police officer or officer and submit the vehicle, together with its equipment and any vehicle drawn by it, to the examinations and tests that the police officer or officer may consider expedient. 1999, c. 12, Sched. R, s. 14.

82 (3) is the same except specifies commercial motor vehicles. Erase inspects vehicles for proper suspension, lighting, emissions, etc and therefore falls under the guidlines that an officer may inspect the vehicle to determine if it is indeed safe. Move the vehicle to a safe location usually means the inspection station where inspectors can look atthe vehicle without concern for highway traffic.

If private motor vehicles were not required to comply with the inspection, the OPP would never be able to do their Wreck Check projects. Hope this helps.

Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 54 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    If private motor vehicles were not required to comply with the inspection, the OPP would never be able to do their Wreck Check projects. Hope this helps. [/B]
    not really, it blows my plan out of the water for avoiding a inspection. But I do appreciate the reply

Not exactly. There is no requirement that they must have a mechanics licence, but I do know that officers that have a Class A are used during these types of inspections. The Ministry, however, does use officers who are trained, from what I understand anyway.

Seeing a vehicle with bald tires, holes through the body and floor, a shattered windshield, and defective lighting; it doesn't take a mechanic to determine that the vehicle is unsafe.

4loletrgo Guest
    air bags are not reqd to pass a saftey inspection
    When you change the wheel expect the "airbag" light to stay on
    I have pulled many airbags out, make sure ya dissconect the battery first, they are a lot of fun to set off,I scare the crap outta people at our parties setting them off always good for a chuckle

Time Online: 1 Day 8 Hrs 12 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Originally posted by 4loletrgo
    air bags are not reqd to pass a saftey inspection
    When you change the wheel expect the "airbag" light to stay on
    I have pulled many airbags out, make sure ya dissconect the battery first, they are a lot of fun to set off,I scare the crap outta people at our parties setting them off always good for a chuckle
    This is true, we have sold vehicles at the customers request with out the bags, but they have to sign papers stating that the bags are not in the vehicle .
    The Lost Soul R.I.P.!!!!
    Frogzilla
    87 Samurai LWB, 1.6L Injected, 38" TSL's, SPOA, Mighty Kong w/ Gorillas, Toyota axles front and rear, Toyota Hi Steer, and 6.4:1 Gears. Lincoln front and rear, 5.29 gears, Power Steering and frame stretch. Lets play guess the parts! 9500lb Champion front and 8000lb Champion rear, got to pull out the Heeps with something.

http://community.webshots.com/user/xjrob
    www.so4x4.myfastforum.org
    lostsoul71@hotmail.com

88Cherokee Guest
    Originally posted by TopherTJ
    Seeing a vehicle with bald tires, holes through the body and floor, a shattered windshield, and defective lighting; it doesn't take a mechanic to determine that the vehicle is unsafe.
    It's fun stating the obvious isn't it?

Well anyway those "trained" officers are not allowed to touch the vehicle without a qulified mechanic supervising. So if say an officer pulled you over because you have bad rust on one door, he/she cannot inspect your vehicle if he is not qualified to do so or a qualified person is not there to watch him/her even if is trained or not.

Just because hes an officer doesn't mean him/her can go around the law. But in any case almost 100% of the time they protect themsleves in that way just to keep everything smooth. Usually making sure that there is someone there to supervise, that is qualified.

Originally posted by 88Cherokee
    Well anyway those "trained" officers are not allowed to touch the vehicle without a qulified mechanic supervising. So if say an officer pulled you over because you have bad rust on one door, he/she cannot inspect your vehicle if he is not qualified to do so or a qualified person is not there to watch him/her even if is trained or not.
    This is not correct. Maybe you could clarify what you mean by 'touch' or quote the reference from the HTA where is requires an officer to be a qualified mechanic, as I have not seen one.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 21 Hrs 3 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 52 Secs
    Ummmmm agreed! There is NOTHING in the HTA requiring the Officer be a licenced mechanic. I surely wouldn't suggest using this tactic if an Officer wants to check out your vehicle. If it's in question you may just find it going bye-bye on a flatbed!
    No current rig!

Member of:
    OF4WD #3737
    Jeep Company
    New Frontier

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 22 Hrs 48 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 53 Secs
    I was pulled over about 2 weeks ago for a speeding violation......76 in a 50 but he was nice and droped it to 60 in a 50. It was 6:30 am going down 10th street hill in owen sound. The officer was very nice and he pointed out that my tires were protruding past my fenders.......like i didnt notice..........they are not covered by the fenders at all on the front. He informed me that he would be giving me a ticket for excessive water spray if i was to be driving it in the winter due to slush and water mist hindering other drivers sight. After he handed me the speeding ticket he told me that in the dry weather there was nothing he could do about my tires and lack of fender flares, but advised me to buy or build some to keep myself from having to pay another fine. He then laughed and said "Expensive speedometer check this mornning, have a nice day" So i guess i will be takin the jeep off the road for the winter anyways and that will give me the chance to build some removable flares so i can take them off when I go wheelin. CHEERS.

I have a question.

I was in a fender bender a while back and was told by the police and my insurance that if my Cherokee had of been running mis-matched tires that I would have been found the 'at fault' driver and be charged with driving an unsafe vehicle.

My Cherokee had all 4 the same and the other party was found at fault, but still...

I couldn't find much about that in the HTA.

Is there any law here in Ontario covering matching tires on 4x4's?

Mike
    86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
    88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
    Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
    Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242
    (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

Originally posted by MikeR
    I was in a fender bender a while back and was told by the police and my insurance that if my Cherokee had of been running mis-matched tires that I would have been found the 'at fault' driver and be charged with driving an unsafe vehicle.
    Woah... now we're digging up some obscure ones...

Ok... there is a law with regards to mismatched tires and the offence includes bald, mixed, and studded tires etc.

Improper Tires H.T.A. 70(1)(3) - $110.00 fine.

H.T.A. 70 (1) (3) No person shall operate or permit to be operated upon a highway a vehicle that is,

(a) fitted with a tire that does not conform with the standards and specifications prescribed in the regulations; or

(b) fitted with tires that are installed in a manner, in a place or in a combination that does not conform with the specifications prescribed in the regulations.

So, that being said we have to look at the regulations for the details. Regulation 625 "Tire Standards and Specifications".

Regulation 625, 4 (1) Tires shall be installed on a vehicle so as to avoid,

(a) a mixture of construction types consisting of radial ply tires on the front and bias ply or belted bias ply tires on the rear;

(b) a mixture consisting of 50 or 60 aspect ratio tires on the front with any aspect ratio of tires other than 50 or 60 aspect ratio, on the rear;

(c) a combination of construction types or sizes of tires on an axle, except where such types or sizes are equivalent by tire industry standards; or

(d) contact between tires in a dual set or a difference in overall diameter between tires in a dual set of more than thirteen millimetres or a difference in circumference of more than forty-one millimetres.

(2) Clause (1) (a) does not apply to tires fitted on a vehicle with dual rear tires.

(3) Clause (1) (c) does not apply to a temporary use spare tire, specified by a vehicle manufacturer as suitable for emergency use, if not more than one temporary use spare tire is installed on a vehicle.

So basically 'mixed' tires are those of different ply, which may or may not apply if you were to run different tires from the same manufacture, or from different manufactures all together. Or, if you run 50 or 60 aspect ratios on the front, you must run 50 or 60 on the rear.

There is a lot more information in the Regulation for the standards of tires (ie minimum tread depth is 2/32") however I believe that this is what the officer and insurance company was referring to.

Just having mis-matched tires might be a stretch for the charge of Unsafe Vehicle, but can be a contributing factor if there are other circumstances with the vehicle.
    Last edited by TopherTJ; 12-01-2005 at 07:46 PM.

Originally posted by TopherTJ
    Woah... now we're digging up some obscure ones...

Ok... there is a law with regards to mismatched tires and the offence includes bald, mixed, and studded tires etc.
    <snip>

Thanks for the info. I mentioned this on another group and was asked to try and find out. I couldn't seem to find the regulation on line anywhere.

Mike