Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Highway Traffic Act - Common Q & A's

Time Online: 1 Day 21 Hrs 59 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs
    TopherTJ, you sure are a helpfull guy, lol! That's a lot of searching.

I have one for ya! I have just finished installing a V8 Vortec from a 2002 Chevy into my YJ that had the all mighty four banger. would you know what I have to do to make it all lagit for me to drive down the road (ownership, and insurance wise).

You probably don't want to hear this but I would like to let the Ministry know about the engine swap. So I can have the right info on my ownership, but at the same time keeping the insurance company out of the loop!

If those guys find out they would pull my insurance for sure!

Thanks,
    Work hard but play harder!

Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

farm

all you have to do is notify the ministry and have it listed on your ownership...I cant see it being a problem, as most cops are not looking to see if the proper motor is in there, mostly looking at the registration to see the rgistered owner, val tag is to dat and the plates are from the proper vehicle...you can keep the insurance out of the loop if you want, there are obviouse reasons to let them know like if it blows, but most likely it will get fixed out of pocket at the farm, so again..not a problem..

If you are an asshole to a cop..he could call your insurance and notify them...but thats only if you fail the asshole test huge..I cant see that happening.
    Hope this helps
    Steve
    FOR SALE

Time Online: 1 Day 21 Hrs 59 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs
    Thanks Steve,

I was hoping it was going to be that easy, things don't end up being that way with me very often. I guess there is only one way to find out, lol!

Ya I don't think I have ever seen anyone get very far with a COP being an asshole! They also have a reason to keep there look out for you next time also. Not good!

Thanks, Jay

Time Online: N/A
    A few years ago I was pulled over on the 401 in oshawa.
    the cop said I was pushing traffick with my lights (6am). I had done a toronto to montreal to toronto run (18 wheeler). This rental truck topped out @ 103 kph. The lighter was missing so he said I had a radar detecter in the truck. I let him search the truck AND my personal belongings. He found no radar detecter or anything else. The cop was really p*ssed @ me. He charged me with dangouse driving...a 6 pointer plus $500...I took it to court after buying that little hwy t act. I had the cop on the stand after he gave his Damming speach about me. I asked him if he was a "expert" on driving trcktor trailers. He replyed yes he was a expert on driving tractor trailors. Then Iasked him what class of lic he had...class G he responded. Then i used the same book that he used to charge me with dangouse driving...it said only a person that holds a certificate in that field can call themself a expert. I asked the judge to strike his testomony from the recourd as the office was not a "expert" as defind by the HTA. I won the case as it was thrown out of court. As I was leaveing the courtroom a cop told me I did great and they would slow the othe office down at the door. And was also told to get out of town before the defeat cop had a second swipe at me. Lesson learned buy that little book as it has charges AND DEFENCES in it.

Time Online: 23 Mins 20 Secs
    Nice work ...

Topher,

Strighten me out here... :confused:

Can I have 18" wheels out back and 17" wheels out front?

Or do they have to be 18"s or 17"s all around?

What is the slimmest tire I can have in the front? I once heard I could not have 6" in the front and 11" out back.
    This is obviously not for a jeep but a 50's street rod.

I dealy I want on the fronts 16"x6" wheel with a slim 6" tire and out back would like 17"/18"x10" with a nice fat 11"/12" tire.

Which senario would be legal?

ThanX
    The way everything is going up I am putting a little cat food in all my meals now,
    so when I retire and eat it full time it won't come as a shock to my system.!

Time Online: 3 Hrs 52 Mins 7 Secs
    I got yanked yesturday with the following warnings:

I need lap belts in the 52 because the original seats are not in it. My fire extinguisher needs a metal hold down , not plastic, no front plate, can't use deisal jerry cans to carry gas.

I only got a written warning for not having my paperwork on me.

I wasn't wearing the 5 point that came with it. I know they are illegal, and he confirmed it.
    #1-85 Suzuki Hybrid, 4.3 TBI, 700R4, Dana 18, Dana 44's locked and spooled, Disc brakes, 38.5x14.5x15 TSL sx's, bead locks, warn 8000 , full cage, OBA with 5 gal Tank. Running Fox Shox and 4 link in rear.Full Hydro

#2 -52 M38 Winter, toy gear, 8274, 35" Boggers, Sunday Driver.

#3- 97 JEEP TJ Sport, 4" Trailmaster, 2" bodylift, custom bumpers, 8,000 Warn, 35" MTR's, JKS Disco's, Super 35 Ox ,Daily Driver and local run machine.

#4- 73 International School Bus/ RV/Ramp Truck. Sleeps 5 ( 2 comfortably) 500 Caddy motor, TH400, AKA Shaggon Waggon. Still for Sale!!

#5 2000 GMC Savana Extended w/raised roof and 5.7. MaxxiVan used to tow my shit ;-)

Time Online: 1 Hr 11 Mins 20 Secs
    An MTO enforcement officer will be the best one to answer that question, Techhead, since I personally don't usually enforce something like that. As I recall it was tires of different bias that were illegal, but I don't remember what, if any, size difference, there can be. That would be in the Ontario Regulations and I can't check right now as the site seems to be down. I'll see what I can find. Maybe I'll find an MTO offcer tonight and ask him.

Mud Lite I'm guessing you were stopped by MTO?
    2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - Black
    Don't hate me because I am different.

Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 54 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    Originally posted by Techhead
    [B]Topher,

Strighten me out here... :confused:

Can I have 18" wheels out back and 17" wheels out front?
    the tires have to be the same size across the axles, 2 17's in the front and 2 18's in the back are legal (vettes plus lots of others do this from the factory)

I think the smallest rim allowed is a 4", lots of people run 3.5's but if ya get caught by the wrong person he might pull your plates
    hero - the most overused english word

Originally posted by Mud Lite
    I got yanked yesturday with the following warnings:

I need lap belts in the 52 because the original seats are not in it. My fire extinguisher needs a metal hold down , not plastic, no front plate, can't use deisal jerry cans to carry gas.

I only got a written warning for not having my paperwork on me.

I wasn't wearing the 5 point that came with it. I know they are illegal, and he confirmed it.
    what seats are in it? Supposedly no front plate will soon cost you 2 points as well

Originally posted by augiedog
    the tires have to be the same size across the axles, 2 17's in the front and 2 18's in the back are legal (vettes plus lots of others do this from the factory)

I think the smallest rim allowed is a 4", lots of people run 3.5's but if ya get caught by the wrong person he might pull your plates
    ThanX..

I most likely will use a 7"x16" up front and a 10" or 12"x17or18" out back.

ThanX again.

what seats are in it? Supposedly no front plate will soon cost you 2 points as well
    It has a set of Prelude seats in it. 2 point!!! That is just stupid! The only time that I can see a plate being needed is at the back while they are tailgating you while punching in your information as they drive.

It has a set of Prelude seats in it. 2 point!!! That is just stupid! The only time that I can see a plate being needed is at the back while they are tailgating you while punching in your information as they drive.
    did it have seatbelts from the factory?

there lies the problem. If the truck had the original seats then it would not need seat belts. But since the seats have been changed, he stated that it required lap belts.

there lies the problem. If the truck had the original seats then it would not need seat belts. But since the seats have been changed, he stated that it required lap belts.
    the highway traffic act is available online, I'd do a search to see if it is actually a law. I'd say no, but a vehicle should fail if it doesn't have sun visors so anything is possible

the highway traffic act is available online, I'd do a search to see if it is actually a law. I'd say no, but a vehicle should fail if it doesn't have sun visors so anything is possible
    It won't be in the HTA, but in an Ontario Regulation. And they are a bitch to go through.

Originally posted by TopherTJ
    It won't be in the HTA, but in an Ontario Regulation. And they are a bitch to go through.
    According to this regulations the officer is wrong

According to this regulations the officer is wrong
    Who's wrong, the officer who stopped him or me? Exactly though, the O/Reg does not make any specific exemptions in it with regards to seats that have been exchanged in an older, pre 1974, vehicle. If he was charged under 106(3) then the O/Reg 613 could be used as a defence citing section 9:

9. Where a motor vehicle that was manufactured in or imported into Canada prior to the 1st day of January, 1974 is driven on a highway,

(a) the driver and passengers are exempt from the requirement to wear the upper torso restraint component of a seat belt assembly; and

(b) the driver is exempt from the provisions of subsection 106 (6) of the Act with respect to the requirement that passengers wear upper torso restraint components. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 613, s.9.

And further, HTA 106 (2) also does not specify anything about the changing of the original seats, only stating that you must use what was required at the time of the vehicle's manufacture:

H.T.A. 106 (2) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle in which a seat belt assembly required under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada has been removed, rendered partly or wholly inoperative, modified so as to reduce its effectiveness or is not operating properly through lack of maintenance

Here is the Motor Vehicle Safety Act

Hope this makes sense as I just woke up from night shift and I had court in the middle of the afternoon today - very tired
    Last edited by TopherTJ; 08-25-2006 at 09:20 PM.

Originally posted by TopherTJ
    Who's wrong, the officer who stopped him or me? Exactly though, the O/Reg does not make any specific exemptions in it with regards to seats that have been exchanged in an older, pre 1974, vehicle. If he was charged under 106(3) then the O/Reg 613 could be used as a defence citing section 9:

9. Where a motor vehicle that was manufactured in or imported into Canada prior to the 1st day of January, 1974 is driven on a highway,

(a) the driver and passengers are exempt from the requirement to wear the upper torso restraint component of a seat belt assembly; and

(b) the driver is exempt from the provisions of subsection 106 (6) of the Act with respect to the requirement that passengers wear upper torso restraint components. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 613, s.9.

And further, HTA 106 (2) also does not specify anything about the changing of the original seats, only stating that you must use what was required at the time of the vehicle's manufacture:

H.T.A. 106 (2) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle in which a seat belt assembly required under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada has been removed, rendered partly or wholly inoperative, modified so as to reduce its effectiveness or is not operating properly through lack of maintenance

Here is the Motor Vehicle Safety Act

Hope this makes sense as I just woke up from night shift and I had court in the middle of the afternoon today - very tired
    If I meant you I would've put your name Topher

Reading the articles that you and I both posted, the officer is in the wrong. If he had removed a seat that had seatbelts to begin with then he would need to reinstall them. Because it never had any to begin with, it doesn't need them

My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 1 Day 9 Hrs 10 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    This thread makes for interesting reading. A discussion like this could easily go on forever, like those fellows arguing that the world is round. Geesh, let it go guys!

This discussion is about the Ontario HTA, does anyone know how one can obtain the motor vehicle act for NB? I suppose I can go down to the local office and ask for a copy, preferably an electronic version.

We've recently had problems with our vehicles here in NB. The police are pulling over anything with aggressive tires & chassis/body lifts. Our understand our NB MVA is vague as to what is unsafe which leaves it up to the arresting officer.

Handi_ca
    just my two cents...take it for what its worth...

95 YJ, RE 4" lift, 33" Procomp Extreme M/T's, Warn M8000 and mud - Trail Queen
    04 Liberty Sport, 2.5" Rusty's lift, ProComp LT245/75R16 AT's & a pair of Hella 700FF Lamps - Highway/Trail Ride & sometimes tow rig