Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The Drive Clean FAQ:

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 23 Hrs 54 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 18 Secs
    dvsjeep so your firends jeep says hotrod on the ownership? if its registered as a hotrod on the ownership he should be fine...

if he is trying to pass a etest for a 2000 tj that isnt properly registered as a hotrod he will have issues
    1991 TOW RIG/DD toyota hilux surf ssr-x turbo diesel JDM SPEC

1982 suzuki sj410 . stock ... no options rides like a slow bag of dicks

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Wks 5 Days 2 Hrs 47 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 8 Secs
    so here is my conundrum on the issue. i have a 1997 TJ with an OBDII port. As a 1997 it should be tested without the port hooked up, but will they use the port out of convience? also i have had a check engine light for 4 years due to a lock-up torque converter issue. I don't want to tear apart a transmission for a minor part and pay 90% labour to repair it since i log less than 5,000 KM per year. Will they insist on using my OBDII port and make an issue of my check engine light or will my test be based soley on my taipipe emissions?
    I have Anal Glaucoma- I can't see my ass coming into work today.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by dvsjeep View Post
    I have a buddy with 2000+ hotrod issue right now.
    2000 TJ with a GM350, it has been Hotrod tested 2 previous times with no issues, now they say it must pass OBD2 plug test, which is wired up to the body not the engine harness so thats no good for him. He has a vehicle that cant be tested, so cant be driven or sold... kinda sucks for a completely restored and modded TJ.

Any new info on this issue Noltz?
    Sorry for missing your question. Your buddy needs to have the vehicle rebranded to Hot Rod, or call Drive Clean for assistance. I sent off an email with a hypothetical question similar to yours; A diesel generator engine powering a 2000+ vehicle - what do I do? So far no answer, and that was over a month ago. My suggestion for your buddy would be to attend a Drive Clean center. We have the ability to do a real-time video conference with Drive Clean auditors at the machine. My suspicion is he'd be sent do a TSI (Two Speed Idle) facility with a gas bench and the file for that vehicle would be modified to allow it to run.

Quote Originally Posted by BEATSTTC View Post
    so here is my conundrum on the issue. i have a 1997 TJ with an OBDII port. As a 1997 it should be tested without the port hooked up, but will they use the port out of convience? also i have had a check engine light for 4 years due to a lock-up torque converter issue. I don't want to tear apart a transmission for a minor part and pay 90% labour to repair it since i log less than 5,000 KM per year. Will they insist on using my OBDII port and make an issue of my check engine light or will my test be based soley on my taipipe emissions?
    Possible, but '97 is not required to have the CEL off so I don't believe you have anything to worry about. While I always promote fixing it properly - you don't know what ELSE that CEL is on for - in your case I'd simply attend the test facility and be done with it. Since the monitors don't need to be run anyway for a tailpipe test you could use a handheld scanner and clear the code just before entering. Since it's now a Two Speed Idle test the torque converter won't be locking up anyway.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 2 Days 22 Hrs 56 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 19 Secs
    I just pulled this of the drive clean web site. Has anyone ever been been fined or warned for removing or tampering with emissions stuff on pre 87 vehicle?

Why are vehicles manufactured before 1988 exempt?Vehicles built in 1988 were the first to comply with new, significantly tighter vehicle emissions and durability standards for that time.

While 1987 and older light-duty vehicles are exempt from Drive Clean, they are still subject to the Environmental Protection Act. Anywhere in Ontario, Provincial Officers can stop and inspect a vehicle suspected of emitting excessive exhaust smoke or of having emissions control equipment tampered with or removed. Penalties include warnings, notices, tickets and summonses. For serious infractions, officers can use legally binding Provincial Officer Orders, and/or seize vehicle licence plates.
    2009 Sahara Unlimited
    2.5 Rough Counrty springs and shocks + 1" spacers
    Jks front and rear adjustable track bars
    Rugged Ridge light bar
    Daystar upper dash panel
    35x12.5x15 trxus MT - Black Rock Rims

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 5 Hrs 38 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 7 Secs
    I believe post 1988 most vehicles went to some sort of fuel injection not all but most.
    And I have not met anyone that has had it happen to them. but have heard someone who knows someone who's uncle was stop lol
    I believe you have to have all emission equipment that came with the car for that year on it. you are not allowed to remove it.
    I have even heard they where going after some of the old hot rods.

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 46 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 16 Secs
    My co worker had a 1985 s-10 with a swapped in 350 v8. he was pulled over and fined around $450 for not having all his emission components. another friend of mine was pulled over for an inspection and was red flagged in the system until he proved his dodge didn't come with a catalytic converter from the factory (1984 truck). I am always worried about the smog police as i live in Oshawa and they are pretty bad out here.
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 47 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 3 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by buckinbullock View Post
    My co worker had a 1985 s-10 with a swapped in 350 v8. he was pulled over and fined around $450 for not having all his emission components.
    What was the factor that got him pulled over? Catless stank?
    But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.

And we are chock full of that, man!

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 46 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 16 Secs
    He was cruising on the highway. He had a cat converter, the officer told him if he didn't have the converter on it he would have pulled his license plates. It was a eye opener for me as i always have 87 and older vehicles with very tampered emission components. Now i'm super legal!