Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Nice post very informing

Tugger
    PITBOYZ WILD CHILD
    PITBOYZ BRAMPTON CHAPTER (PB4L)
    OF4WD member # 2543

www.Pitboyz.ca

TEAM MOTIVE MEDIA

God made all people..... and Smith and Wessen made them equal.

Brewster Guest
    Let's take a car and look at it over a ten year period.
    Prior to the change it was exempt for the first 3yrs and the tested every second year, or 4 tests.
    Now, if I've got it right, exempt for five years and then tested yearly, or 5 tests.
    Then the 20yr rule
    Now we have a 17 yr span of vehicles to be tested, but with the change the span will simply grow from the 1988 cutoff.
    More $ for the system, and more opportunity for the system to rip us off.
    The 5yr fix should have been there from the get go, a no-brainer.
    They say they are going to fix the phony passes but if a pass can be faked so can a failure. I have to wonder how many parts have been sold that were not necessary.
    This is typical of what happens when people knowing nothing about cars start messing with them.
    If you go to the DC site and read the bafflegab about the changes, you'll see that the garage industry reps had way too much say in the reform.
    The MoooooGuinty govt has turned a slghtly flawed, but decent program into another one of their cash cows.
    Ive e-mailed the Minister of the Env my displeasure.
    Last edited by Brewster; 04-22-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Brewster Guest
    Originally posted by Noltz
    Once your vehicle is 12 years old, you get tested yearly. 5-11, every other year. Watch for a red asterix on your renewal notice.

And we're all getting hosed. I do my own tests, and I STILL have to pay full pop.
    I didn't find the 5-11 bit. I'm under the impression that after 5yrs,
    the car is tested yearly

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    Originally posted by Brewster
    I didn't find the 5-11 bit. I'm under the impression that after 5yrs,
    the car is tested yearly
    Because it's government run, it's not clear, but you can make out the rules :rolleyes: by reading the FAQ: "Historic Vehicle Exempt..."

On Drive Cleans own website, there is contradicting information. Many of the pages are old, citing "proposals", which are actually now in effect. But to best of MY information, the Lay-Mans rules are as follows, today:

2007-2002 LDVs are NOT being tested, unless resold.

2001-1995 (5-11 years old) are tested bi-annually.
    1994-1988 (12+ years old) are tested annually.

IN 2006; 2001, 1999, 1997, 1995, 1993, 1992, 1991, 90, 89, 88, 87
    IN 2007; 2002, 00, 98, 96, 94, 93, 92, 91, 90, 89, 88
    will be tested.

FYI - I just did a test on a '92 Tercel with 213,000 on it and it passed with flying colours. Maintance is the key.

I posted the consumer information number a while back. If you have any direct question for them, the 800 number is there for you. I'll continue to answer any questions that I can.

Cheers,
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    I heard that if you have Farm plates you dont need e-tests.Is this true?
    I understand the Jeep thing.Thats why I drive a BRONCO.
    Join Team Krawlerz.I know you want to.WWW.KRAWLERZ.COM

FARM plated vehicles are exempt. According to Drive Clean:
    http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/cons/3717e07.pdf
    "Light-duty commercial farm vehicles, kit cars and motorcycles are exempt from Drive Clean testing." For further information, please read the following regarding Farm Vehicles and the Highway Act.
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/farm/farm.htm

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 1 Hr 55 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    Quick question, but has anyone here who for whatever reason didn't renew their vehicles plates last year, with an '86 or '87 model year vehicle, try the Service Ontario website? The reason I ask is that I did not renew last year on my 1986 Chev P/U 4x4, blew the engine and have been working on it on and off till now, well I tried the online renewal tonight just to see what would happen. It took me through all the steps right to where all I had to do was press enter and they'd send me the stickers, and it said the price would be $24.65???? Last I checked it was $74.00. Also no mention of an e-test being needed or anything, it had all the info on the vehichle just from the plate #s, so I would think they would have some record of it needing an E-test? sorry for being long-winded, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Time Online: 1 Hr 45 Mins 59 Secs
    Originally posted by instant
    QUOTE: "All vehicles 1988 and newer, up to 5 model years old, will be tested every year for the life of the vehicle. The 20+ year old exemption has been lifted. For 1987 and back, you still qualify for exemption."

Last week, at the driver's bureau, the woman said I still have to e-test my 87 XJ in march. I wonder if I wait until a day after my birthday, and maybe then I won't need it? I am so confused about this now.
    I did my 87 YJ in the late summer and when I went to get plates she siad that I never have to do the jeep again .. as its an 87 ( even for older cars/vans/jeeps) to get new plates after you change it to your name you need an E-test ... the only loop hole I have found is that its 30+ years and you reg it as a historic car/van/jeep

Just what I was told maybe some one else knows different ..

Rick
    OF4WD member # 4799

Karolina's Border Collies
    www.Karolinabc.ca

Time Online: 1 Hr 45 Mins 59 Secs
    question ..

If I am doing my own work on the motor ie putting a 4.0 head on a 4.2 motor .. and the block has been bored over by another person How do I prove that the motor has been hot roded ? or should I never mind as the jeep is a 89 and should pass anyways with the EFI

Thanks

Rick

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 1 Hr 55 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    Well, I went down to the DandV office today, and got a REALLY big shock! In a good way. Took my ownership in to the lady behind the counter, and asked if she could tell me what I needed to do to get validation stickers. She punched it in, and said... 'That'll be $24.65, would you like to pay cash or credit?'
    So when I got my mouth to close again, I asked about the past year that I let lapse, and also the e-test that should have been done in 2005. She said there was no record of that in the computer so don't worry about it. She also said that for the past couple of weeks, people had been coming in to renew their 2006 vehicles plates, and the comp. said they required an e-test!!Haha, go figure. Anyhow, after the initial shock let's just say I am one happy camper

Time Online: 1 Day 9 Hrs 30 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    30 years and older car, my buddy gave away his dad's '72 Olds, went to get the ownership changed over with the transaction value of one dollar. The girl said they don't do that anymore, he had to go get an appraisal, and the tax would be on the appraisal amount. When are these laws changing, and not telling anyone, not even in the TO Sun ? I think we are turning into Russia and Russia is turning into how Canada used to be.

Time Online: 2 Hrs 9 Mins 5 Secs
    A friend of mine just got his 93 318 4x4 Dakota tested today. He didnít think it had a chance of passing, brought it to the mufflerman on Dundas here in London. His truck tried to jump off of the dyno because it was stuck in FWD. The mechanic told him not to worry about it and tested it as an AWD vehicle. A standing idle test was all it was required to pass. It passed without a problem (air filter removed).

Food for thought next time you have to go in for a test, rig your t-case linkage so that its stuck in 4wd you may just get lucky and only have to pass the idle test.
    Toy List
    1964 VW dune buggy
    1947 Luscombe Silvaire Aircraft
    1986 Kawasaki X2 jetski

Time Online: 7 Hrs 8 Mins 54 Secs
    Question about the Hot Rod clause in the Act. I swapped a 1991 MPI block into my 1990 TBI YJ. Something was different between the two engines to the point that it now idles high. I bolted on the TBI manifold and swapped over the engine components like the flywheel, distributor and harmonic balancer. The 91 MPI engine has physical differences and is identified as such by Chrysler by having a separate identifier in the VIN. Therefore it comes under the "engine that was not available as an option in the model year of the vehicle clause. I documented this extensively with block codes then took it into the dealership to try to get it passed as a Hot Rod. Initially they said they'd test it as a Hot Rod but when I got there I got to speak to the Drive Clean manager. He explained that the vehicle can't be tested as a Hot Rod because the engine swap occurred after 1999. I would have to extensively prove that the swap occurred before 1999 to get the test. He wished me luck on that. By luck, they tested the vehicle while I was jabbering and it passed...man was I surprised. Going home I reread the Act and it seemed to be true what the tech said, that Hot Rod only applies to swaps done prior to 1999, not prior 1999 model year vehicles that have had engines swapped on them. It's subtle wording but makes a big difference.:

"A hot rod that receives a motor replacement on or after January 1, 1999, shall receive a motor designed to meet emission standards at least as stringent as those achieved by the original motor with all its original emission control equipment attached and functioning, and the replacement motor shall have the original catalytic converter and all the original emission control equipment, or equivalent replacements, included or usually included with the replacement motor by the manufacturer of the motor. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 4 (2); O. Reg. 86/99, s. 3."

Or is it? Does "designed to meet" imply "must be tested as" or does it mean "should be same standard as the original but tested as a 1980". Can anyone confirm that that is the way the regs are.
    Last edited by GI Jeep; 12-18-2006 at 09:40 PM.
    Steve

1999 TJ 4.0L, RE Superflex 4.5", 35" ProComp MTs, SYE, Warn Bumpers and rack, TJ Dana 44 w/ Detroit

1990 YJ 2,5L, 4" spring lift, 32" Goodrich MTs, Rancho shocks, 2 inch shackle and body lift, Dana 35 Loc-rite Locker

Originally posted by instant
    30 years and older car, my buddy gave away his dad's '72 Olds, went to get the ownership changed over with the transaction value of one dollar. The girl said they don't do that anymore, he had to go get an appraisal, and the tax would be on the appraisal amount.
    If they don't have a Kelly's Blue Book value for the car, then an apprasial is needed. Anything with a Blue Book value of under $1k is taxed on the selling price. Anything over $1k is taxed on the Book value or selling price, whichever is higher. But this is a DMV discussion, not Drive Clean.

Originally posted by Patrickbuilt
    A friend of mine just got his 93 318 4x4 Dakota tested today. He didnít think it had a chance of passing, brought it to the mufflerman on Dundas here in London. His truck tried to jump off of the dyno because it was stuck in FWD. The mechanic told him not to worry about it and tested it as an AWD vehicle. A standing idle test was all it was required to pass. It passed without a problem (air filter removed).
    <snip>
    I ran into the same scenario a few years back. Oddly, it was a Dakota too. Owner told us the truck was stuck in 4x4 for the winter, so don't put it on the dyno. Since we had no way to disengage it, we had to idle-test it. Drive Clean investigated us, but was happy with the documented report.

Originally posted by GI Jeep
    Question about the Hot Rod clause in the Act. I swapped a 1991 MPI block into my 1990 TBI YJ. Something was different between the two engines to the point that it now idles high. I bolted on the TBI manifold and swapped over the engine components like the flywheel, distributor and harmonic balancer. The 91 MPI engine has physical differences and is identified as such by Chrysler by having a separate identifier in the VIN. Therefore it comes under the "engine that was not available as an option in the model year of the vehicle clause. I documented this extensively with block codes then took it into the dealership to try to get it passed as a Hot Rod. Initially they said they'd test it as a Hot Rod but when I got there I got to speak to the Drive Clean manager. He explained that the vehicle can't be tested as a Hot Rod because the engine swap occurred after 1999. I would have to extensively prove that the swap occurred before 1999 to get the test. He wished me luck on that. By luck, they tested the vehicle while I was jabbering and it passed...man was I surprised. Going home I reread the Act and it seemed to be true what the tech said, that Hot Rod only applies to swaps done prior to 1999, not prior 1999 model year vehicles that have had engines swapped on them. It's subtle wording but makes a big difference.:
    <snip>
    I'm honestly not surprised that your MPI passed the TBI standards. When swapping nearly identical blocks, it's not worth the hassle of trying to get the Hot Rod test unless you really need it. But, folks, damn near any engine can be made to pass with minimal expense. A Cat and an EGR will make 90% of the swaps we do pass no problem.

northjeep Guest
    what about this...
    I have an 88 YJ, 4.2, with a 4.0 intake and aftermarket injection. I'm pretty sure the evap canister is not functioning.

I had a suburban and had to replace all kinds of e-crap to get it passing.
    Wil I have to install a bunch of factory crap on my jeep to get it passed?

Spicifically:
    Will the evap can fail me?
    Will the e-tester fail me for aftermarket efi?

Excellent questions. First, the evap can is a visual inspection only, so as long as your lines are hooked up, then the evap is fine. The 4.0 intake with aftermarket injection is not illegal or disallowed, so there is no penality there. In fact, if it's working right, you probably have a better chance at passing than a carb'ed 4.2 any day!

In short, the only negative that may come from your vehicle is that if it fails, the shop may refuse to work on it. You are free to take it home and tune it, then rebook for a half-price retest.

Make sure to get a paper print out!!. If you fail, you'll need to see the numbers.

Good luck!

northjeep Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    Excellent questions. First, the evap can is a visual inspection only, so as long as your lines are hooked up, then the evap is fine. The 4.0 intake with aftermarket injection is not illegal or disallowed, so there is no penality there. In fact, if it's working right, you probably have a better chance at passing than a carb'ed 4.2 any day!

In short, the only negative that may come from your vehicle is that if it fails, the shop may refuse to work on it. You are free to take it home and tune it, then rebook for a half-price retest.

Make sure to get a paper print out!!. If you fail, you'll need to see the numbers.

Good luck!
    Thanks a bunch.

Time Online: 8 Hrs 9 Mins 15 Secs
    I put a 350 Chevy in my 86 CJ when I got it in 2002. It was considered a hot rod but it still had to pass the emissions standards of 1980 it didnt pass so I couldnt get it on the road.

Your 86 is now a "classic" and does not require emissions testing. You should not be required to provide an emissions test for your vehicle if you attempt to licence it now.

That said, you should EASILY be able to get a chev 350 to pass Hot-Rod standards with a pair of Cats and an EGR. They routinely pass no problems at my shop. If you're gonna drive it, you should have cats & an EGR on it anyway.d

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 54 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    I'm going to be renewing my tags up here for 2 years no etest needed. how far north do I need to move to avoid the annoying etest?? I'll be in the Alliston area