Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Drive Clean FAQ:

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

need e-test

I just bought a 88 wrangler, I had it e-tested and it failed it has a a holey 2-barrel carb that I had rebuilt, because when I had it e-tested I had a diagnostic done to let me know what it need to pass so I did the work. Had it e-tested 4-TIMES and it still didn"t pass I need to transfer the ownership into my name. Can i get a conditional pass even if it isn"t in my name ( it passed the safty no problem and it has a 4.2l ) any suggestions
    thanks

mugsy is offline Mugsy the Animal Steel-Moderator
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 8 Hrs 4 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 56 Secs
    nope,you cant get a conditional pass,it has to pass or you can not get plates.
    my wife (RIP) hated my jeep too so i ran her over with it and now we are both happier (me and the jeep)

RETREAD #13

04 Wrangler, 4" lift and 33's

Original Post updated to reflect changes in Drive Clean rules .

Time Online: 5 Hrs 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    3 Bottles Of Gas Line Antifreeze And Go Down The 401 At 135 Km/h For 20 Min And The Take It To Get E-tested....it Will Pass Trust Me.

P.s. Sorry For Caps My Keyboard Is Effed Up.

Cheers
    You might be a jeeper when, You take your date home early on a Saturday night so you can work on your Jeep !

Time Online: 1 Hr 45 Mins 59 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by trigg View Post
    I just bought a 88 wrangler, I had it e-tested and it failed it has a a holey 2-barrel carb that I had rebuilt, because when I had it e-tested I had a diagnostic done to let me know what it need to pass so I did the work. Had it e-tested 4-TIMES and it still didn"t pass I need to transfer the ownership into my name. Can i get a conditional pass even if it isn"t in my name ( it passed the safty no problem and it has a 4.2l ) any suggestions
    thanks

you dont need an E test to put it in your name .. just to plate it
    OF4WD member # 4799

Karolina's Border Collies
    www.Karolinabc.ca

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 5 Days 7 Hrs 37 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Secs

hep

so my 88 yj need e test till irs dead????????????????

Time Online: 6 Days 14 Hrs 36 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    Ok. One more question for the list- WHich, by the way, I really appreciate seeing here.
    My buddy Kev just went and bought a 1972 Jeep Pickup. Does he have to pass e test to put it on the road?
    Thanks!
    Tim
    '98 XJ 2dr. 3" and 33" ATs --His--
    '99 XJ 4dr. 3" and 31 AT's --Hers--
    '72 J4000 --Ours?--

It's all good.

..double post
    Last edited by Noltz; 11-29-2007 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacked jeep View Post
    so my 88 yj need e test till irs dead????????????????
    Unfortunately, yes... but if you bring it in w/4x4 engaged, they MUST test it as a 4x4... we're not allowed to turn it off...

Quote Originally Posted by TNC View Post
    Ok. One more question for the list- WHich, by the way, I really appreciate seeing here.
    My buddy Kev just went and bought a 1972 Jeep Pickup. Does he have to pass e test to put it on the road?
    Thanks!
    Tim

Nope... it's outside the Drive Clean regulations. Drive on!

Time Online: 6 Days 14 Hrs 36 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    Thanks muchly.
    Tim

Time Online: 1 Day 9 Hrs 30 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by 1987tjdude View Post
    3 Bottles Of Gas Line Antifreeze And Go Down The 401 At 135 Km/h For 20 Min And The Take It To Get E-tested....it Will Pass Trust Me.

P.s. Sorry For Caps My Keyboard Is Effed Up.

Cheers

Will this really work? Even the "Guaranteed to Pass" crap didn't get me to pass.

Hey Noltz, you sound like you know the system well. Maybe you can answer me this. My car started smoking during 2 out of 4 tests I think from overheating because of the lack of air cooling circulation. Car is hot from a hot run, and then you let it idle waiting your turn. Does this happen often to people? The oil changer place guy says now I am burning oil???? . I have always taken my e-tests at independent garages so there is no alterior motive for repairs.:rolleyes:

Read the fine print on the "Guaranteed to Pass" crap. It follows with "if your vehicle is in good working order", or something like that. Well if everything is working, then it'll pass the test without anything special in the tank. And TJDude is correct, if your cat is failing and/or you have a bad oxygen sensor. Gas line antifreeze is alcohol. Alchohol oxygenates the fuel, causing it to burn hotter (leaner) on vehicles who's oxygen sensor is defective. Since 'safe' maps, or the pre-programmed fuel injection amounts for fuel injected vehicles, are on the rich for safety, adding oxygen to them will cause the mixure to lean out to about where it's suppose to be WITH the sensor in place. It also works for failing catalytics, in the short term, by increasing the temperature of the burn, and thus the cat's temperature, which will increase it's efficiency. This is short term though, and may actually cause more damage to the cat. Doesn't matter though - if it needs to be superheated to pass, it needs to be changed anyway

To summarize, yes - adding gas line antifreeze, or methylhydrate (cheaper & works the same) to the tank may let you get through the test!

Time Online: 2 Hrs 7 Mins 32 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    Read the fine print on the "Guaranteed to Pass" crap. It follows with "if your vehicle is in good working order", or something like that. Well if everything is working, then it'll pass the test without anything special in the tank. And TJDude is correct, if your cat is failing and/or you have a bad oxygen sensor. Gas line antifreeze is alcohol. Alchohol oxygenates the fuel, causing it to burn hotter (leaner) on vehicles who's oxygen sensor is defective. Since 'safe' maps, or the pre-programmed fuel injection amounts for fuel injected vehicles, are on the rich for safety, adding oxygen to them will cause the mixure to lean out to about where it's suppose to be WITH the sensor in place. It also works for failing catalytics, in the short term, by increasing the temperature of the burn, and thus the cat's temperature, which will increase it's efficiency. This is short term though, and may actually cause more damage to the cat. Doesn't matter though - if it needs to be superheated to pass, it needs to be changed anyway

To summarize, yes - adding gas line antifreeze, or methylhydrate (cheaper & works the same) to the tank may let you get through the test!
    Will the Sunoco Gold with the 10% ethenol work the same?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 31 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 13 Secs
    Probably ... a mechanic buddy of mine told me that anytime I am little concerned to go and get an oil change and then ran about 1/2 tank of Sunoco Gold through the tank.

Just before the appt for the test, drive it for at least 20min and show up just in time for your appt so everything is still good an hot.

I have not failed one yet .... but I also keep my vehicles in pretty good shape and maintained also.
    Newmarket Swamper

OF4WD Member # 5246

Time Online: 1 Day 6 Hrs 33 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Whats the deal these days on buying an 88,does it still need to be etested.Was on one etest site and it had not been updated since 2005.
    89 YJ 400BB,C-6 Auto,205 t-case,dana60's~4.88s,S.O.A. 12in total lift sitting on 35x15.5x15 Super Swamper Boggers.Locked front/rear
    CanAm Member-Sarnia/C.U.J.O. member

http://community.webshots.com/user/blackwidow149

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKWIDOW63 View Post
    Whats the deal these days on buying an 88,does it still need to be etested.Was on one etest site and it had not been updated since 2005.
    Typical government, huh? Yes, 88 is still tested. Seems the rule to test cars 12 years and older annually never actually stuck. My latest literature is from last year's license renewal, and it does NOT say nuthing about the annual inspections being put in place.

Time Online: 6 Days 19 Hrs 30 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs
    Helpful info. Thanks. Just performed an engine swap into my YJ (which didnt pass anyway) Not due till April, but whew..Thanks

My Mood
    Busy
    Time Online: 20 Hrs 26 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    Why all the angst?????? My '90 YJ 4 banger passed (no problem) at Can Tire.....if it don't pass Drive Clean, there's something really wrong.

Never mind D.C., they're talking safety inspection coming soon.

Time Online: 7 Mths 4 Days 31 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 33 Secs
    i dont need to do e-tests here. i was told though if i was pulled over elsewhere i could get into trouble. is this true?

what about engine swaps? how does this affect the e test laws?