Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Drive Clean FAQ:

Time Online: 17 Hrs 58 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Billybong View Post
    i dont need to do e-tests here. i was told though if i was pulled over elsewhere i could get into trouble. is this true?
    no, if you arent required to e-test it for new plate stickers no one can say boo about it.
    Keepn' the Rubber Side down.

'06 TJ | 2 headlights | broken cheap ass fogs | 30 lbs of mud in frame | undersized spare | dented fender | dented rear quarter | Stainless washers on license plate | softdoors with broken handles | Three black box thingies that look expensive | rusty hitch | lots more payments

I Support OF4WD

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard
    thank you i needed a new sig

Time Online: 7 Mths 4 Days 31 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 33 Secs
    just to clarify though before i get too far on my motor work...... so, because i have swapped a different motor in, i have to go by the 198? guidelines for emissions? that would be cats and mufflers still right? i'm going to put them on anyway. just making sure.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 16 Hrs 44 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 32 Secs
    Just wondering, I'm looking at the new Wrangler with plans to do a Diesel swap later on (ones the warranty is up) Is that even possible to keep Driveclean legal though? Could a Diesel be made to pass the same requirements as a 3.8?

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    Billy, if the buildup is on a 2000 or newer vehicle, it must meet the emissions levels of the engine originally installed in that vehicle, if it's remaining a gasoline powered vehicle. Pre 2000, you must meet 1980 levels. Any clean-running motor (with a reasonable cam in it), along with an EGR and cats can pass... especially if it's fuel injected. I've had 5.7's blow cleaner than 1.6 Honda motors!

Drizit, you can drop a diesel in anything you want and remain emissions legal. Notify the inspection centre that your vehicle is a diesel, and they will do a visual inspection and plug it into the MOT station that the vehicle has indeed been converted. Diesels pass so long as they do not emit visual particulates for more then 5 seconds during a 1 minute period, while idling. Very easy.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 16 Hrs 44 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 32 Secs
    Excellent thanks Noltz, now i just need to hold out for the warranty to end

On a side note Noltz if you are looking for someone to go paintball with drop me a line (it's the same user name on just about any paintball forum)

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Im just going to let everyone know because I am a Licenced Drive Clean Inspector and IF YOU EVER HAVE A PROBLEM with a DCF you can call DC head office and complain to make a dispute and try to get a level 3 dispute where you will get whatever you want to have them be done with the dispute.

Nolts let me know on a correction i should make in bold, i meant it as if you are to bitch and complain to DC head office they will make the dispute go higher and higher but it will involve yo beening a total asshole hahah.
    Last edited by mcmasterbra; 12-28-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: correction
    98 Cherokee Sport, 5 inch lift with BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's, Thrush muffler with full custom exhaust, custom bumper.

04 Mustang Cobra, Pully Tune, bbk long tube, Eibach Pro-plus kit, Corsa DB red series mufflers, 315/35/R17 MT ET Streets w/ Cobra 10.5" width rims.

Quote Originally Posted by Billybong View Post
    just to clarify though before i get too far on my motor work...... so, because i have swapped a different motor in, i have to go by the 198? guidelines for emissions? that would be cats and mufflers still right? i'm going to put them on anyway. just making sure.
    If it came on the car from factory it needs to have them on the vehical

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 5 Secs
    Billy, you have e-test down there?

Every vehicle should have cats in it because it's just smart. Modern cats do not rob HP or plug your exhaust. Spend a few dollars and but a cat in anything you build. Technically Drive Clean doesn't check for them anymore but MOT does. Roadside checks are NOT Drive Clean. So while you could pass a DC test without one, 2 minutes down the road a MOT officer can ticket you for not having one. Craven is correct...if it has one from the factory it Must have one on the road.

As an inspector you are REQUIRED BY LAW to do a pre-check of the vehical. If you feel something on the front end loose you can make them replace it, say your driving in and you move the steering wheel, know how you can feel if theres play, well on a dyno with a front wheel drive car, if that blows, straps can break and the car be sent hurling towards the wall, a person, a employee.

Pre-test check
    Note that the pre-test check must be performed prior to each emissions inspection. This check was developed as a customer service tool to help reduce cunfusion about the pre-test requirements.

When the vehicles arrives at a DCF it must meet certain vehicle criteria so that it is tested according to program rules and it is in a condition deemed safe to perform an emission insepction. This is to prevent damage to the vehicle or the drive clean inspector during the corse on the test procedures and to insure that the vehicle has the necessary equipment in place, as perscribed under the Highway Traffic Act.

The pretest check sheet must be completed, signed and presented to the customer whenever a vehicle does not meet the pre-test check requirements. Doing this will help educate all customers about the pre-test check. A better informed customer is a business advange for the DCF and for the program as a whole.

Missing Catalytic Converter (if origonally equiped with one)

If it is determined that a vehicle was OE with a Catalytic Converter but is now missing, the vehicle will be rejected.\

However, it is important to keep in mind that Canadian Emission Standards for New vehicles were more lenient then US Standards between 1980 and 1987, and as such, there are a number of Canadian - Specific vehicle models and engines that were not equiped with Catalyic Converters from the Manufacture.

Appendix L (separate binder) of the Standard Operating Procedures(SOP) manual (located at your facility) contains information about canadian vehicles sold between 1980 and 1987. It should be used by the inspector as a referance to determine whether vehicles were origonally equiped with catalytic Converters.

P.S. The ministry of enviroment also operates a roadside compliance program delivered by the Vehicle Emissions Enforcement Unit(VEEU). The VEEU ispects grossly polluting vehicles using ontarios roads to ensure they are in compliance with the emission standards under the enviromental protection act (or EPA) the officers inspect vehicles suspected of emitting excessive exhuast smoke or of having emissions control equipment tampered with or removed. Officers may issue fines and repair orders to operators of grossly polluting vehicles and may sieze vehicle licence plates. The VEEU also raises awareness that driving a properly tuned vehicle helps to combat smog.

Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    Every vehicle should have cats in it because it's just smart. Modern cats do not rob HP or plug your exhaust. Spend a few dollars and but a cat in anything you build. Technically Drive Clean doesn't check for them anymore but MOT does. Roadside checks are NOT Drive Clean. So while you could pass a DC test without one, 2 minutes down the road a MOT officer can ticket you for not having one. Craven is correct...if it has one from the factory it Must have one on the road.

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 51 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 15 Secs
    the only problem is with pre 1980 smog. i am still waiting for my buildsheet from ford after 5 months. if i had been pulled over, i would be screwed. i am just trying to get the paperwork ready for when i get pulled over. it's a big pile of horsecrap. i'm treated like i've done something wrong, but i am 100% stock.
    it's a joke!
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

yeah they can be total dicks like that sometimes.

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 51 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 15 Secs
    my truck only came with pcv and thermo-air cleaner. but they say i need:
    charcoal canister,
    cat,
    air pump and
    egr.
    when a buddy of mine got pulled over they gave him a warning. when he got the build sheet specific to that vin, they wouldn't accept it because it wasn't the original sheet printed in 1984! His threats of legal action got him off. but they had red flaged him, so if he were to get pulled over, his plates would have been gone.

Edit; I stand corrected! Mcmaster is correct on the visual check for on the cats. I just called the Drive Clean Inspectors helpline. Everything ELSE has been deleted from the pretest inspection. The cap is mechanically checked if it fits a standard adapter. Ones that don't fit adapters (like Jags or new Fords) are exempted. In the case with most new vehicles (2000+) they check themselves regularly for evaporation losses.

Looks like I should contact my old shop and let them know they're in gross violation

Just as an aside; Appendix L is no longer in use, as 1987 and previous years are permanently exempt from emissions testing. I think my copy had a few 1988 models too, but it's just as easy to check a part number as it is to dig out that old binder. It's also still a good reference though for anyone driving 80-88 cars. You may be driving without a cat and not know you're in violation. Last customer I had that got fined (on his '81 Malibu) it was $450.

So, once again... PUT CATS IN IT!!
    Last edited by Noltz; 12-28-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Yeah the best part about buying a new vehicle is that for 5 years you wont need to gt an etest, that means if your to buy a 2010, you wont need an etest until 2015 and so on. which is kinda cool.

Those fines are rediculus its like 365 for a "Eco Fee" and like 365 for Violation/tampering with Emissions control equipment and the list goes on!

Edit; I stand corrected! Mcmaster is correct on the visual check for on the cats. I just called the Drive Clean Inspectors helpline. Everything ELSE has been deleted from the pretest inspection. The cap is mechanically checked if it fits a standard adapter. Ones that don't fit adapters (like Jags or new Fords) are exempted. In the case with most new vehicles (2000+) they check themselves regularly for evaporation losses.

Looks like I should contact my old shop and let them know they're in gross violation

Just as an aside; Appendix L is no longer in use, as 1987 and previous years are permanently exempt from emissions testing. I think my copy had a few 1988 models too, but it's just as easy to check a part number as it is to dig out that old binder. It's also still a good reference though for anyone driving 80-88 cars. You may be driving without a cat and not know you're in violation. Last customer I had that got fined (on his '81 Malibu) it was $450.

So, once again... PUT CATS IN IT!!

when in doubt check your emisions lable under the hood every car manufacured or imported into canada needs one.

i have seen a few gm labels "non catalist" but like noltz says get one put on anyway its worth it

i think there is a fine for removing that too!

I dont know how many people on here have their DCL but one thing i have really noticed about drive cleans....drive by wire....really hard to hold it at 40.0 kph...really hard.

I always end up messing it up

Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 8 Hrs 12 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    First way is correct Instant.
    1) Test, and fail
    2) Diagnose ($100), and get quote.
    3) Quote under $550, you must do.
    4) Quote over $550, you pay $17.50 for retest. Conditional Pass issued on retest.
    i will say this, if you get a shop that tells you that you need a cat and tune up and the cat is 450 but the tune up (with diagnoses is 350) you will have to do the tune up.
    and if a shop knows your going for a conditional, im willing to bet 99 percent will make sure your repair bill is about 400 bucks, regardless of if it will pass or not, the repairs have to better the numbers, not make it pass (conditional only)
    i had to do my89 yj the other day, o2 was bad, tps was bad, wide open throttle was stuck to wide open, and last but not least my ecm was crap. that brought my hc from 320 down to 19 ppm,

Time Online: 7 Mths 4 Days 31 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 33 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    Billy, you have e-test down there?
    no sir....not in my neck of the woods.

the grand plan for my exhaust is to use a stock YJ 4.0 exhaust for my engine swap. so it will have the cat and muffler anyways.
    Last edited by KillBilly; 01-14-2010 at 09:47 AM.