Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Drive Clean FAQ:

Time Online: 5 Hrs 45 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Ok so Question if somebody has an answer? Rebuilding a 82 CJ. It now has a mild small block chev 305 out of a 86 Camero, old bottom end, bit of a cam..RV type, re-built heads, with rochester Q Jet, non egr, headers, dual cats. When I went to get it transfered into my name, che chicky tells me I need an E test b4 I can licence it. but I only need it done ONCE. First, why? Oh yeah..another tax grab . This thing originally had a 6. The carb re-builder tells me he can lean out the primarys, and that E3 plugs drop the NOX by 75%. WILL IT PASS?
    The last time I needed a specialty car e tested..nobody knew HOW to get the "hotrod" clause into play

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    82... You're exempt. 88 and up are Drive Clean'ed. Go to another place. If you keep getting the run around you can get the Jeep tested as a hot rod just tell the test facility that it has a Chevy 5.0
    Last edited by Noltz; 02-21-2010 at 10:03 PM.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 22 Secs
    Do you need a muffler for a drive clean test? I have cats in my car, then a resonator, then it's just straight pipe out. Issue or not?

Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 50 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 13 Secs
    i have one that seem s to work for me every time. tell them the front axle is locked and it needs to be tested at idle only. its a different test and at the time my jeep passed. i wasnt paying 375 for a cat. so i went some where else and locked the front axle.
    85 grand wagoneer
    1990 xj from florida, lifted 6 inches
    with custom front and back bumpers
    and roof rack
    found stolen and burned
    77 cj 5 building ground up

Prior to 87

Anything prior to 87, if it has not been plated for a year, or is being transfered to a new owner, HAS to be drivecleaned ONCE before they assign it plates. My brother is going through it with a 65 pickup truck.
    I put TWO cats on mine, because it came with one originally, and I am running a true dual exhaust. It will at least pass the visual exam. I assume they want to make sure cats are on what came with them. On that note, I see others posts mentioning $350.00 Cats? I paid $80.00 ea for mine. Magnaflows .2 1/2" in and out, and about a foot long..legal too..

When I have asked at a few driveclean facilitys about the "Hotrod" designation, all I've gotten is blank stares..ie, they really don't want to bother with anything out of the box. Thats understandable, given the fact that they dont make any money doing the tests, unless it fails. MIdas sort of eluded to if I give them the safety inspection as well as the driveclean, they'd help out.

So I guess I'll go with the leaned out quadrajet and E3's, when I take it in (nowhere near finished at the moment) And if it fails, maybe scrounge up an EGR intake.

^^ Sorry, but that's incorrect. I just called Drive Clean (888-758-2999) about registering a pre '88 vehicle and they assure me that unless it's a heavy-duty vehicle (4500kg and up) any and all vehicles - new purchase or not - do not need to be tested. The only issue may come up if it's being registered as rebuilt. But if it's a "Hello, I bought this car. Please put it in my name and give me new plates", they will not ask for it. If they do, refer them to call Drive Clean at the above number and press 1 for english, 0 for an operator, and let Drive Clean themselves say so.
    Last edited by Noltz; 02-23-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Well thanks for the input. Think I'll call myself, just to see what I get. Not that I doubt you, just to confirm. Funny thing though, my brother got told the same thing, by a licence office no where close to mine.
    Its already in my name (as is his) Which, by the way, if anybody else is reading the thread for any reason..When you do start a new project, get the ownership into your name before you even start, and you need an appraisal, no mattter what your bill of sale says. They give you a form at the licence office, that a LICENCED appraiser has to fill out (roughly $50.00)
    When I put the cats on it, it was because I have been pulled over by MOT a couple of times in the past, for tires, but they look at everything from lights to brakes. they have more power than cops do

Thanks again. I did call, and got a thumbs up..NO test required for anything pre 1987..nuthin, zip, nada. The guy called it the wild west.

After 87, as long as your facility knows you have an engine swap, in advance, or if you have a letter from a Jeep Dealer, stating the engine did'nt come in it stock..its tested as a "Hotrod". It does still have to make 1980 standards, have a cat, and a pcv, but other than that..there ya go. You still have to get it e tested every two years, but after it's been declared as a hotrod once, subsiquent tests are a breeze.

No worries. The license offices are not always up to date on how this system works. On top of that they're all private now. I keep pretty up-to-date on all the rules (and Brad fixed one that even I missed). If you have drive clean questions you can call or post here.

Time Online: 3 Days 6 Hrs 27 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs
    do all test facilities have the ablility to test a car as a hot rod
    1991 Mustang GT- waiting for restore
    1994 Lincoln mkviii- dd
    2005 Ford F150- dd
    1963 Pontiac Parisienne- cruiser
    looking for an off-road toy

Yes. It's up to you as the owner to provide documentation to support it's Hot Rod status. The best document there is a copy of the invoice for when the engine was installed. If you did it yourself, photos and documentation (bills, receipts for parts) and block numbers will be good enough.

"Hello. I"m here for an emissions test. "
    ...." No problem sir, I'll take your keys"
    "Before you write it up, please make a large note that the vehicle is a Hot Rod by Drive Clean standards. The engine is not original, and it came from a '93 Camaro."
    and if they ask...
    ...."Do you have documentation from the installing facility"
    "Yes, here are the receipts" or "The swap was completed privately. Here are the photos of the swap in progress, and these are the block numbers from the replacement Chevy engine. It will be very obvious that it's not original. Do you need anything else?"

Time Online: 7 Hrs 8 Mins 54 Secs
    How does the repair cost limit thing actually work. My truck blew over on the moving test for NOX. I know the cat converter is shot on the passenger side. The cost for the whole assembly is $600 which is past the $450 limit. I stopped by a dealer service department and the guy I spoke with said they wouldn't even continue the diagnostic (of course I would have to do it) and immediately change the cat converter. Now if I actually took the vehicle in, what happens. If I say I want a conditional, the single item, the cat, is over the 450 limit hence there is nothing else that can be done and theoretically I get my conditional...for nothing. Just interested though in real life, outside of the government lies on their website, what actually will happen. Also if you take it in is it better to tell them up front that you ain't passing the $450 and you want a conditional or do you wait for their recommendation? If they want to do something useless like change plugs or change o2 sensor that are good, can you argue with them?
    Steve

1999 TJ 4.0L, RE Superflex 4.5", 35" ProComp MTs, SYE, Warn Bumpers and rack, TJ Dana 44 w/ Detroit

1990 YJ 2,5L, 4" spring lift, 32" Goodrich MTs, Rancho shocks, 2 inch shackle and body lift, Dana 35 Loc-rite Locker

Well you don't tell them the cat has failed. You simply say "here's my car, test it please.". It'll fail and you pay $100-200 for diagnostics. They say cat is pooched, you say "and is the OEM cat over $450?". They say yes, and you reply "then I want a conditional for the year please. That's another $18.50 right?". Easy peasy. If they say "a cat is less than the repair cost limit..." you simply say "Drive Clean rules stipulate OEM components. You telling me you're going to install a brand new Dealer cat for $200?". Of course not. "well I'd like to stick to Drive Clean rules and just get the conditional that I qualify for. "

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    just wondering if new tests in 2011 will be easyer,when they scrap the dyno test?

My info says 2012, but there will be no rolling tests so yea, it will.

There is a map and a list of Cities currently under Drive Clean's "umbrella" at www.driveclean.com. It's actually governed by postal codes... which is why in some places your neighbour across the road is exempt but you're not.

There is no current plan to change the size or repair cost limits to the program. There's a hint that the program may be expanded because more garages will be able to afford just the gas analyzer. The Dyno was about 65% of the cost of the systems. But it's totally rumor at this point.

Map of Drive Clean areas
    Last edited by Noltz; 11-29-2010 at 12:15 AM.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 25 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    I just had my 1988 comanche 4.0L in for an e test and it passed with mostly zeros ..... I used 2 liters of methyl hydrate in a half tank of gas .
    canadian tire
    1988 Jeep Comanche ,Grey, 4X4 , 4.0L , short box,BA10 5spd, 31" BFGs On Newer Grey 5 star jeep Rims ,
    OUR RELAY 4 LIFE TEAM http://convio.cancer.ca/site/TR/Rela...eam&fr_id=8660F... CANCER !

Front post has been amended to include the pending elimination of the Dyno test. Drive Clean is moving to a two-speed idle test. Since big tires often lug an engine down and cause it to run rich, this idle-test procedure should be easier for us to pass. This change will happen Jan 1, 2012.

Front post has been updated to include a news release from Drive Clean. More vehicles are being added to the exemption list. This includes Historic plated vehicle, which is funny... because they're already exempt under the pre-1987 exclusion

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 9 Hrs 43 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 27 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    Yes. It's up to you as the owner to provide documentation to support it's Hot Rod status. The best document there is a copy of the invoice for when the engine was installed. If you did it yourself, photos and documentation (bills, receipts for parts) and block numbers will be good enough.

"Hello. I"m here for an emissions test. "
    ...." No problem sir, I'll take your keys"
    "Before you write it up, please make a large note that the vehicle is a Hot Rod by Drive Clean standards. The engine is not original, and it came from a '93 Camaro."
    and if they ask...
    ...."Do you have documentation from the installing facility"
    "Yes, here are the receipts" or "The swap was completed privately. Here are the photos of the swap in progress, and these are the block numbers from the replacement Chevy engine. It will be very obvious that it's not original. Do you need anything else?"
    Hey Noltz. I did my engine swap in Edmonton, Alberta before moving here. I dont really have many pictures of the swap. Mainly just when the engine sits as it is, with the fenders off to show that it went in.

Its a pretty obviously change through. 1991 YJ with a 2.5L before, and now 1991 YJ with a LQ4 6.0L. And as far as im aware, YJs did not come stock with a 6.0L.
    Im far from done and getting it inspected, but being fresh to Ontario, I'd like to get a handle on the rules, and have a bit of knowledge beforehand. Maybe ill start taking more pictures of the harness getting put back togther, and when i plug it all back in :P.

How hard is it going to be to prove to someone that it was indeed a swap, and I qualify for Hot Rod clause? Or will it be as easy as someone lifting the hood and having some common sence?