Thread: steering box seal question-please help

Time Online: 2 Hrs 32 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

steering box seal question-please help

I have a 89 YJ . the bottom seal is leaking on the steering box. I can't seem to get the box off as I don't have air or heat. Is it possible to replace the seal/seals with the box still on the jeep. If it is, how hard is it.?
    Dave
    If what I don't know can't hurt me; I'm indestructable!

TorontoTJ Guest
    Howard did mine for $140 something if I'm not mistaken... sometimes it's easier to pay someone.

My Mood
    Bored
    Time Online: 5 Days 15 Hrs 31 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 27 Secs
    It is pretty simple, pull pitman arm off,take snap ring off,start jeep and gently turn wheel and seall will pop out. Clean shaft off(if lots of rust and pits on seal it may leak after new seal installed.

Sean
    87' yj, 3.5" superlift,HD extended shackles,1.5" homemade body lift,35" bf m/t,ar 767 rims,warn 8000 lb winch. And of course 1000lbs of rust

There is only two kinds of people in the world,those who wish they had a jeep and those who have a jeep!

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    Mine wouldn't pop, seized solid. Tried for 3 hours, couldn't chip/wedge/cut it out. Ended getting a used box from Jeepman for $75 and installing that. $180 for a seal seems steep, it's a $10 part.

Under normal conditions, Sean is right: Remove pitman arm nut, pitman arm, start jeep and turn all the way left (or right) to lock. The pressure in the box will blow the old seal out.

Without air, I'd pay someone.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.