Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting off the new year by getting rid of that junk d30

Time Online: 5 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

starting off the new year by getting rid of that junk d30

went and picked up a waggy d44 today and some waggy LEAF springs for my TJ. purchased them both from M357.5, he was a pleasure to deal with and even drove 2 hours to meet half way to make the transaction.

basically i will be doing a complete tear down and rebuild of the axle, soa, leafs in the front of a tj, twin sticked 4:1 d300, something to the rear to compensate for the lift, take out my body lift because i definetly dont want more then 4" of lift for 35's

ive allready posted a thread on the start of the buildup here

so hopefully this will end up being very helpful to people since d44 seems to be a very popular item, and questions about swapping one into the front of a jeep pop up all over the place

sure it may share the same u-joints as a d30 but everything else is pure BEEF http://kawartha-offroad.com/images/d44/d44.jpg

Time Online: N/A
    Sounds like a project for sure. Good luck
    "Where does it say Humpty Dumpty was an egg"
    SiSu: "enigmatically tough and independent in personality, exhibiting staying power under the most adverse conditions."
    Your World Right Now
    Proud member of the Krawlerz Team!!

Wow, sounds like a lot of work. Good luck with everything. Wasn't there a guy on here that just finished leafs in the rear of his TJ? I forget his name, you might want to contact him, probably be able to help you out.
    I used to wheel stock

'90 YJ
    4" Rubicon Express lift
    33" Trxus MTs

!!! -=KRAWLERZ=- !!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    I'm glad I have a CJ... If everyone is going to leaf springs I'm ahead of the game already.
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

brad kilby put leafs on the rear of his tj but im not interested in that, just the front. the rear will stay coils.

the reason im going leafs in the front is because they will flex more then enough and they are just plain simple.

TJ_HOOKER is offline Moderator (yeah that's right, still.)
    My Mood
    Doh
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 5 Hrs 46 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min
    omg leafs in a tj. no! why would you do that, you're crazy!! that'll never work, there will be a dozen more telling you you're nuts, trust me. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by NINE-T-1-RENEGADE View Post
    Sounds like you're making friends all over the place.

2015 MK7 VW GTI (Tam's car), catback, INJEN intake, DV+, Eurodyne stage 1.5 tuning 300whp

2015 JK RUBICON 2-door

2010 Harley-Davidson FLHX

TEAM VAS-NUT for life!!!!!!!!1111

Originally posted by TJ_HOOKER
    omg leafs in a tj. no! why would you do that, you're crazy!! that'll never work, there will be a dozen more telling you you're nuts, trust me. lol.
    yeah hehe, like why would i want to go back 1 step.

once again leafs flex like ****ing crazy, it will flex all over the current setup ( stock jeep setup) and really the only thing that could outflex it is possibly radius arms or definetly a triangulated 4 link.

and im smart enough to realize that im just a newb at fabbing shit up, hell im only 19 and just started wheeling last year, and i know for a fact that tackling the rear 4 link is going to be a task, let alone a front 4 link on my DD

mugsy is offline Mugsy the Animal Steel-Moderator
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 7 Hrs 55 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 59 Secs
    better to try,than bash some one who did?some people will always be jealous!sorry not intended to get off topic
    Last edited by mugsy; 01-01-2006 at 10:19 PM.
    my wife (RIP) hated my jeep too so i ran her over with it and now we are both happier (me and the jeep)

RETREAD #13

04 Wrangler, 4" lift and 33's

TJ_HOOKER is offline Moderator (yeah that's right, still.)
    My Mood
    Doh
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 5 Hrs 46 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min
    if you are building it with tf, u are in good hands. at least you are not like some people on here, you are gonna build it yourself. good on ya. have fun with it. i know after i put the leafs in the rear, my first run of tests for strength and flexability, was with a fork lift, then to a ramp for flex in motion, then to a small trail in ancaster. you are gonna have a ton of fun doing this.

good luck.

heh i wasnt aware TF was helping me do this, well not physically at least. i have been asking him lots of questions and advice, the guy is an encylopedia of offroading knowledge. i know when i was talking to him about doing a stinger on the front of my truck the first thing he said was bring it down and we will do it for ya, im sure the offer would be there for doing this swap too.

i ended up building the stinger myself but got his advice and tips and tricks on bending it lol.

there will definetly be more then just picks of it sitting as i run harder trails then most on here and im always looking for more challenging shit to run.

but of course i will start out with the poser flex shots like everyone else does

Time Online: 2 Hrs 20 Mins 25 Secs
    of course the offer still stands.... like i said to you before, anytime you need a hand or some advice with it socks just give me a shout.. I don't mind helping out guys who actually want to learn and that will put their rig to the test..

Tell you what.. get all the parts ready to go and maybe i;ll do a roadtrip up to lindsay and we'll bang it off in a weekend..

TF
    NIAGARA TERRAIN CRAWLERS - FOUNDER

Freakbuilt 4X4s - Rigs that actually perform offroad, not just big lifted junk.

Originally posted by ToyotaFreak
    of course the offer still stands.... like i said to you before, anytime you need a hand or some advice with it socks just give me a shout.. I don't mind helping out guys who actually want to learn and that will put their rig to the test..

Tell you what.. get all the parts ready to go and maybe i;ll do a roadtrip up to lindsay and we'll bang it off in a weekend..

TF

i want everything done and all the parts sitting on my garage floor, along with the weather to be a decent temp before i do it.

but thats killer man

i heard TF only work on gocarts...... are you sure u want him workin on your rig...
    TEAM butcher block...

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Out of curiosity, if you want to convert to springs, and go SOA, why not invest in an old YJ with a good chassis and use that for your project while still having a daily ride with your TJ? You could easily put a couple of D44s under the stock springs and then spend your time and money on all the other essential modifications.

Doesn't a D300 need the differential on the other side?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Wk 9 Hrs 1 Min 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 36 Secs
    Originally posted by Alfons
    Doesn't a D300 need the differential on the other side?
    The dana300 can be flipped to work as a driverside. I just can't figure out why he didn't just get a passengers side dana44 since he was swapping it anyways.

Originally posted by rustyoldjeep
    The dana300 can be flipped to work as a driverside. I just can't figure out why he didn't just get a passengers side dana44 since he was swapping it anyways.
    hehe i thought about it, but im still not sure how $$ is going to go,just had 67 days off which isnt helping the cash flow any and since its my dd the np231 might be staying for a little while.

as for why i dont buy a yj. i bought the jeep and i wish i didnt, its $474 a month because of my age i didnt get aproved for the lower financing.

also because of my age, with no accidents and no tickets, and $1800/year reduced because of drivers ed i still pay $494/month insurance and they dont even know it has any modifications.

so long story short i just cant justify spending even more on insurance, and i cant convert the tj back to a DD because i cut the front end all up and tubed it.
    Last edited by Socks; 01-02-2006 at 10:14 AM.

Time Online: 3 Hrs 19 Mins 44 Secs
    Take the time to make sure this is realy a good idea. I say this only because I have been in the same situation. I purchased a 2000 TJ when I was 19 so I whould have a reliable dd to get to school. 2 years later I was driving a $ 200 Honda and the Jeep was in the garage. I just finished putting a hp Dana 60 in the front and it is alot of work and money. You had said you only wanted 4" of lift and 35" , the dana 30 can handle that. I ran 8" of lift and 35" for 2 years with no major problems. just somthing to think about, if I new what I know now I would have done it much differently.

Good luck

Originally posted by TJ Steve
    Take the time to make sure this is realy a good idea. I say this only because I have been in the same situation. I purchased a 2000 TJ when I was 19 so I whould have a reliable dd to get to school. 2 years later I was driving a $ 200 Honda and the Jeep was in the garage. I just finished putting a hp Dana 60 in the front and it is alot of work and money. You had said you only wanted 4" of lift and 35" , the dana 30 can handle that. I ran 8" of lift and 35" for 2 years with no major problems. just somthing to think about, if I new what I know now I would have done it much differently.

Good luck
    yeah my d30 held up to my 35's, locked all year long.

thing is 35's are its limit, and i dont want to be at a trail somewhere in the states and have it go on me. whereas on a 44 35's are a nice comfy zone, and i plan on going to 37's for my next set of tires.

there are so many pictures and so many threads of the r&p blowing up with 33's, and so many more with the shafts and the housings bent that i dont want to deal with any of that.

4" of lift should be a good level for 37's no problem.
    Last edited by Socks; 01-02-2006 at 08:04 PM.

Time Online: 4 Mins 28 Secs
    Not trying to start an argument but replacing a Dana 30 with a Low Pinion Waggy Dana 44 isn't a huge upgrade.

Here's an idea for you......

Keep the Waggy Dana 44 and scour your local pick and pull yards for a 78-79 Ford F-150 Crew Cab front High Pinion Dana 44. They are pretty long in the tooth now, so i'd imagine should be able to get it pretty cheap.

Pop the Inner "C"s off of the HP 44, narrow it enough to use the Waggy Inner Shafts which would make it around 62" WMS to WMS, with a CJ/Ford 5 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern. Or if you really want that Crappy 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern, swap the complete Waggy Knuckles onto it.

Then you will end up with a HP 44 that will be worth ditching your Dana 30 for. If your going to the trouble to swap in a Front 44, take your time and get the most out of it, which brings me to the other point..... Tell me your going to at least put Leafs in the back to match the front right?

Scotty

Originally posted by armybuck043
    Not trying to start an argument but replacing a Dana 30 with a Low Pinion Waggy Dana 44 isn't a huge upgrade.

Here's an idea for you......

Keep the Waggy Dana 44 and scour your local pick and pull yards for a 78-79 Ford F-150 Crew Cab front High Pinion Dana 44. They are pretty long in the tooth now, so i'd imagine should be able to get it pretty cheap.

Pop the Inner "C"s off of the HP 44, narrow it enough to use the Waggy Inner Shafts which would make it around 62" WMS to WMS, with a CJ/Ford 5 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern. Or if you really want that Crappy 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern, swap the complete Waggy Knuckles onto it.

Then you will end up with a HP 44 that will be worth ditching your Dana 30 for. If your going to the trouble to swap in a Front 44, take your time and get the most out of it, which brings me to the other point..... Tell me your going to at least put Leafs in the back to match the front right?

Scotty
    definetly not putting leafs in the back, and i was not having any luck finding a hp 44.

as for the bolt pattern i allready have that covered