Thread: Big Problem??

Time Online: 1 Day 13 Hrs 12 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs

Arrow Big Problem??

Ok, well I have a 93 XJ and the t-case seems to be giving me trouble. I have the front left U-joint that needs to be replaced. It is making alot of noise only in 4x4 and not in 2wd. It also clunks a bit when turning left at sharper angles.
    The problem is that the t-case is not working properly. It sometimes "pauses" at part time before engaging in 4wd (full time). Today, when I switched through, it made a VERY large bang, and seemed to rattle the jeep. After that, everything went back to normal in 2wd.
    My question is this: Will the left left U-Joint cause the t-case to not work properly???? Could this be due to the possiblity that the U-Joint may be ceased??? (I'm just hoping that the t-case is not screwed).
    Thanks for your help, as I NEED to diagnose this problem ASAP!!!
    Ummm ... yeah, you can't go any further! Oh really???!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 49 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    I don't know if the ujoint being toast would cause your t-case to be gone.
    I had no problems with my t-case when my u joints where gone.
    I want a Grand Wagoneer!!

03 Tracker LT - DD
    96 Talon TSI AWD - Jack Stand Queen That's Almost Running Again
    08 JK Unlimited Sahara - 2.5" BB, 33" BFGs (Hers)

did your u-joints just make noise??

Oh yeah!!! It works fine in the snow and shifts into full time 4wd without a problem ... it's only on dry pavement when it went "Bang"

My Mood
    Asleep
    Time Online: 7 Hrs 3 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    u may have a vaccum acuator on the front axle. when it doesnt engage than it makes that kinda noise. if not id be lookin at a t-case chain
    PIT BOYZ
    13 Jk sport 4 dr
    Cormier Towing

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 3 Hrs 23 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 55 Secs
    check to see that your tires are evenly worn, front and rear....
    the ujoints will not affect the function of the t case in any way, unless they are are broken, then they will affect your 4 wheel drive ability.
    what speed were you travelling when you tried to engage your transfer case?

-DYNNO-

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Wk 9 Hrs 1 Min 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 36 Secs
    if you have the vacuum disconnect front axle, I would say the vacuum actuator is the cause of the problems. What side is the bad u-joint on? If the u-joint is worn bad enough it wont be supporting the shaft on center, so the splines will not be lined up vertically with the shift collar, making it tough for the actuator to slide the colar over the center shaft. I'd put the new u-joint in, see how that works. Then if it still goes bang check the vacuum presure at the actuator. It does not sound at all like a t-case problem, rather a front axle malfunction.
    79 GMC K2500 converted shortbox stepside K3500, 454 BBC, SM465l, Dana60/14b w 4.56,
    2005 F250 on 35's DD

wow ... that made me feel alot better. .... I believe that the spline part is loose due to the u-joint ... the u-joint is on the driver's side ..... also ... I'm getting some vibrations over 80kms/hour ....
    the tranny works great, and the rear end is in good shape .... just wondering why that may be vibrating only at that above speed .... I know that the front end is sitting higher than the rear by at least 2" or so ... the rear end suspension is very week, and will be replaced soon ....
    Would the rear driveshaft need to be rebalanced?? Or could the suspension be causing such problems??
    Thanks all, I do appreciate the input ...
    C.J.

Oh yeah!!! when it is in part time, it makes some bad vibrations .... it doesnt feel right ... but when it is in 4wd, (full time I assume) it works fine without any problems ..... any ideas as to why this may be happening as well ??? 4wd full time works well (as soon as it goes in), and part time vibrates like shit!!?? weird .. please help

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Wk 9 Hrs 1 Min 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 36 Secs
    well the drivers u-joint wont casue the the vacuum actuator to mess up. The best way to diagnose the vibration is start by fixing whats wrong with it. Start with a new u-joint which could cure all. If not then look at the rest of the u-joints,tie rod ends, ball joints,control arm bushings etc. Since it goes away when in 4wd it is likey a front u-joint. Does it make a squeaking or clicking noise?

Originally posted by rustyoldjeep
    well the drivers u-joint wont casue the the vacuum actuator to mess up. The best way to diagnose the vibration is start by fixing whats wrong with it. Start with a new u-joint which could cure all. If not then look at the rest of the u-joints,tie rod ends, ball joints,control arm bushings etc. Since it goes away when in 4wd it is likey a front u-joint. Does it make a squeaking or clicking noise?
    Yup, it makes some clunking noise, especially when in 4x4 and the wheels are turned. It also happens in 2wd, but is less noticable. But why would 4wd full time work fine, and 4wd part time vibrate like hell??

Time Online: 5 Days 51 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Secs
    i don't think his problem is with the axle actuator / because he said he has parttime and fulltime ...which means he has a 242 case and a solid axle in the front ...i would check the transfercase fluid level and change it and possibly the transfer case mount .
    good luck
    mike
    oh and definetely change that u-joint before it blows up on the highway

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 31 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    93 XJ's have solid shafts anyways.
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 49 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    Originally posted by TheWeekendWarrior
    did your u-joints just make noise??

Oh yeah!!! It works fine in the snow and shifts into full time 4wd without a problem ... it's only on dry pavement when it went "Bang"
    All they did was click whenever I drove so I changed them. No problems since.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    partime is not to be driven on pavement
    wave dammit!
    IF i wanted a HUMMER i would ask your sister!!!!