Thread: XJ 3" lift questions

Time Online: 4 Hrs 27 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

XJ 3" lift questions

I have a 91 XJ 4x4 with a 4.0 HO engine and 5 speed trans. I would like to lift it 3" to accommodate 31" tires. I would like to do this for as little cost as possible without creating an unsafe or poor handling vehicle. I have seen kits ranging in price from 3 or 4 hundred to over $1000. This leaves me wondering what I need. I have talked to guys that have lifted their XJs with the lower cost kits and they have said they were quite happy with them. I see where some of the more complete kits come with brake line extensions yet people I have talked to that went with the low cost kits said they didn't need them. So my question is, what do I need or not need to do to achieve a nice riding and safe vehicle without spending unnecessary cash.

Thanks

hey hey;

I had basically the same set up as you, so its coming from experience. First of all how is your XJ? is it in good shape? does it have any major problems? Get it mechanically inspected before you sink any mod money in it, you will thank yourself later for it.

Now in terms of the lift, research alot, do what you are doing, and talk to alot of people. With the set up that you want its suits the XJ best without regearing, or investing in alot more money on this and that.

The mehanical underpinnings will dictate if you should invest in a complete "kit" or " "system" Kit is add a leaf usually, and you can get away with this if you leafs are not broken or really worn out. The whole system is good and is a better set up , if you have the coin, and if your springs are totally pooched, if not a set of 2" blocks will work great.

In all, get your Jeep inspected, work out on paper what you want to spend and then stick to this budget!

Jeff

Time Online: 5 Hrs 21 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Jeff you forgot to advise him to buy some rubber boots

anyhoo
    heres my tidbit
    Dodge dakota leaf springs for the rear. will net you about 4"
    and some 4 inch lift coils for the front. will net you about 4"
    not sure if you need to address the shocks or not but anyways
    thats my plan for my POS

Hope this helps

Tugger
    PITBOYZ WILD CHILD
    PITBOYZ BRAMPTON CHAPTER (PB4L)
    OF4WD member # 2543

www.Pitboyz.ca

TEAM MOTIVE MEDIA

God made all people..... and Smith and Wessen made them equal.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Hrs 43 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 14 Secs
    I have been reading about dakota springs, do you have to do anything "custom" to the spring pak or can they be bolted right up? What about the "lift" coils, can they be gutted from another vehicle?
    Ahhhh some people just never grow up, but that's Okay; our world needs people like you to add comedy in our lives

Time Online: 41 Secs
    Coils can be taken from an F150 from the same year.

I was going to go this route, but I opted for a BD kit from North Shore Off Road. Got it for $700 taxes and shipping included. I'm extremely satisfied with the kit. I only made one change in the kit and swapped a tcase drop for lower control arms. For 3" you don't need to drop the tcase, and if you want to it's simple to make on your own (where as control arms are not as easy!!!)

Hope that helps!
    Pit Boyz Official Hugger

Time Online: 6 Hrs 10 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Before I say ANYTHING, look over your jeep's driveterain, and see what needs to be addressed. DO that FIRST, and THEN worry about lift.
    Report back when you return from your mechanic's inspection.
    I'd hate to see someone else in the same situation I am in.
    BEST4X4XFAR
    2002 Range Rover 4.6HSE Borrego Edition - Adventure Package, Dual Exhaust...
    1999 Volvo V70 R AWD- .:Ti Silver/Black:. SportsWagon
    1990 Land Rover Range Rover 3.9L V8- .:SandGlow Yellow:. Modded - Trail Rig-SOLD
    "Public Roads-Gov't Waste"
    1991 BMW M5- .:Black/Black:.Modded - Autobahn Machine-SOLD

Time Online: 1 Min 43 Secs
    Originally posted by ferret
    Coils can be taken from an F150 from the same year.

I was going to go this route, but I opted for a BD kit from North Shore Off Road. Got it for $700 taxes and shipping included. I'm extremely satisfied with the kit. I only made one change in the kit and swapped a tcase drop for lower control arms. For 3" you don't need to drop the tcase, and if you want to it's simple to make on your own (where as control arms are not as easy!!!)

Hope that helps!
    That will give you about 1" I took a set out of mine. all and all if you wanna lift it and have it flex out, the full kit with the break line relocation and lower control arms, and all the goodies is the way to go. keeping in mine that if you are keeping it on road then a budget boost like a lift block and coil spacer will work for ya. just remember when you lift it keeping the stock control arms is bad due to the fact that you pull the axel under the truck to make it higher and it really feels like your driving on your tippie toes

and ruff country makes a less expencive kit for the XJ
    http://www.roughcountry.com/Jeep_XJ_1in.htm
    http://www.roughcountry.com/Jeep_XJ_3in.htm
    http://www.roughcountry.com/Jeep_XJ_4in.htm
    http://www.roughcountry.com/Jeep_XJ_6in.htm
    or contact the sponsor for there info. good luck and happy lifting, any thing I can do to help let me know, I spent the last 6 months researching the lift process.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Hrs 43 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 14 Secs
    lilb' thanks for that link to rough country, I think I may know who I want to go with now for a lift kit. Unfortunately, they are not located in Canada. Are there any Canadian 4x4 sites that sell an identicle kit to the 3" suspension lift?

Thanks for all the info so far guys. As for my leaf springs, they are pooched and I had already planned on replacing them. The Dakota springs idea is interesting. Are they a straight bolt in with no mods required. As for the 4" number, is this achieved with used springs? I am assuming that one would go this route because buying used Dakota leafs would be significantly cheaper than new mod leafs. And how about the coils? Does anybody know if coils can be salvaged from another vehicle that would give you a 4" lift to match the 4" rear lift.

As for the condition of my XJ... well... lets see, it also needs a new clutch, new u-joints that drive the front wheels (not sure what their called), all four shocks are shot and the rear leafs are sagging, and the engine has over 320,000 km on it and it shows. The engine has a bit of a knock but it's been like that ever since I got it about 80,000 clicks ago and at this point I'm starting to think that it is never going to die. The body is very good with just a couple of trouble spots, nothing to worry about there. The two most pressing things that need to be looked after very soon are the clutch and the suspension.

Time Online: 1 Min 43 Secs
    and if it does die every thing from a 84-01 are the same parts so nuttin to worry about with a lift kit.
    and memphis call these guys they sell the rough country.

littlefoot Offroad
    Windsor Ont.
    519-999-3668

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Time Online: 2 Days 21 Hrs 20 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    Depending on what you use, how you do it, etc will depend on how much lift you get form dakota springs.
    Cost from the wreckers for me were $25/side. I kept the main leaf in, which I was sagging 2" with, cut the eyes off the dakota's, bolted them in with my existing main leaf. Ditch the overload leaf as it'll be an issue catching on things, and use bottom XJ leaf. Doing this has netted me approx 3" of lift.
    If I add in more of the original XJ springs I took out, I could possibly get it a bit higher, but more leafs supposedly will mean a bit of a stiffer ride from what I've found online. For my front, I put in V8 ZJ springs, and 2" spacers to level out the front. On doing this I discovered of my front coils were broken near the bottom. Springs I got from the wreckers for $40 for the pair. The ride is really great as well, and not stiff at all and very pleased with it's outcome. Another option would be to get new coil springs of the lift size you want, and do the dakota leaf springs in the back. Then it's just a matter of adding in your XJ springs, another add a leaf or small block to level the back out. Other than that, it's just replacing your shocks as needed. Brake lines really depend. I'm finding on mine, they're all pretty long and haven't had to deal with extending them at all thus far, although I probably will end up doing the back one just to be safe. Fronts are not adjusted on mine and have more than enough play as they are.

Word of advice on older XJ's, sometimes dealing with the main leafs aka taking them mout, isn't always recommeneded. Depending on rust and such can cause a lot of problems. Another good source to read up on is search the NAXJA forum as it deals with specifically XJ's.

Good luck!
    ... my dogma ran over your karma ...
    --
    2000 WJ - it starts again.
    1998 ZJ RIP jan19.2012
    1990 XJ Pioneer RIP Dec.2007

1989 XJ Laredo 5spd; restoration project