Thread: bearing caps came loose

Time Online: 22 Hrs 7 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

bearing caps came loose

Front end was makin some strange noise on the YJ... pulled the diff cover off and found broken teeth on the ring gear.. Today I went to pull the carrier out and found that one bolt on the left bearing cap was out about 3/8" and the other bolt was loose. There was also a loose bolt on the right bearing cap. This is probably the reason the teeth broke and hopefully the cause of my front end vibrations. Not sure why the came loose though... I have had this jeep since '99 and the only work I've ever done on the front diff is oil change.

strange things happen with this jeep... like last year... the shim between the leaf spring and front axle disapeared on both left and right side... leaving a gap the size of a shim (duh) and giving some nasty death wobble.

Time Online: 2 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    You can give it to me and try another one?
    2000 Cherokee Classic.

Time Online: 1 Hr 8 Mins 36 Secs
    That is an odd one. Sounds like the guy with the torque wrench at the factory was sick that day. I've never heard of that happening.
    T.
    Will this break if I beat on it?

Time Online: 22 Hrs 7 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    LOL Vanquish

yeah.. it's a little strange.. just glad it happened close to home..

Time Online: 3 Hrs 52 Mins 7 Secs
    I had a similar incident just before I went to Moab. I poped the front cover off to change the oil and for some reason grabbed the ring gear bolts. Don't ask me why I did this, but I was glad I did. everyone was loose or just finger tight. It had been set up for 6 years and never touched except for oil changes. There was no damage to my gears luckily.
    #1-85 Suzuki Hybrid, 4.3 TBI, 700R4, Dana 18, Dana 44's locked and spooled, Disc brakes, 38.5x14.5x15 TSL sx's, bead locks, warn 8000 , full cage, OBA with 5 gal Tank. Running Fox Shox and 4 link in rear.Full Hydro

#2 -52 M38 Winter, toy gear, 8274, 35" Boggers, Sunday Driver.

#3- 97 JEEP TJ Sport, 4" Trailmaster, 2" bodylift, custom bumpers, 8,000 Warn, 35" MTR's, JKS Disco's, Super 35 Ox ,Daily Driver and local run machine.

#4- 73 International School Bus/ RV/Ramp Truck. Sleeps 5 ( 2 comfortably) 500 Caddy motor, TH400, AKA Shaggon Waggon. Still for Sale!!

#5 2000 GMC Savana Extended w/raised roof and 5.7. MaxxiVan used to tow my shit ;-)

Time Online: 1 Hr 34 Mins 33 Secs
    Heavy D and I replaced ring & pinion gears, and are about to install bearing caps on front diff. We noticed that there is a larger radius on the one side of each bearing cap.
    We are not sure if this larger radius should face in towards the carrier, or out towards the axle.
    If anyone knows please reply, I'll keep lookin online.
    _____oooo
    [ ]|[ ][___]
    l--L- l --OlllllO-
    ()_)- ()_)-o-)_)

Project YJ-7: 1989 Jeep YJ with CJ front end conversion.
    currently sitting on 33's with 6 1/4" lift.

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    There's normally a mark on the cap and on the housing right next to where the cap bolts on - match the marks and you should be OK.