Thread: Tail light Trouble

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Tail light Trouble

I had to recently replace my passenger side tail light on my 1989 YJ Sahara. I picked up a replacement tail light from Canadian Tire. This was not exactly the same as the YJ's OE light. The YJ OE light has 3 lights in it but this replacement one only has 2. Everything works except when I turn my lights on both back tail lights don't light up so I can't drive it at night. Also, the reverse light comes on when I hit the brakes and signal a right turn. Any ideas on how to fix this? Please let me know. I'm assuming I have wired something incorrectly. But I've tried numerous combinations to hook up the light, but nothing works. Help.

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 15 Hrs 38 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 20 Secs
    Brown- turn signal and brake lights

Blue-taillights

Black-ground

There should only be 1 bulb with 2 elaments!
    92 RENEGADE

ECNALUBMA NA SI PEEJ REHTHO YM

82 Toyota long bed

I appreciate the help, but the colours of wires I have don't match what you have written. The tail light I bought has the following, green wire, black wire and red wire. It says in the instructions that the lamp is grounded through mounting the bolts to the truck frame. The wires from the jeep are as follows, green brown and yellow. The light has two bulbs, one is a reverse light bulb and the other is below it for signal and brake. Confused? I know I am.

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Nick you could get a good used rear tail light assembly at a reasonable price - you just need to look inside to make sure the metal isn't rusted out. This would make both sides the same, using the same bulbs. Jeepman or an Auto Junk Yard could supply you with this.

For most wiring jobs I'd recommend getting THIS wiring diagram package from Pirate 4x4. Look for the year of the jeep on each page (there are two pages for each year) and then there's a bunch of stuff towards the end that comes from other sources that also might be useful.

Hey Alfons,
    Thanks, I should have went to jeepman first, but I bought the light already. Thanks for the wiring schematics.

Okay, I took back the Canadian tire tail light and got a real replacement tail light. I think I wired everything correctly but my front side marker lights don't flash and I still don't have any brake/night lights when I turn the lights on. Brake lights come on only when I hit the brakes. So I can't drive at night. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this or what I might have done wrong? Help

where abouts you located if you are near the hammer bring it by and i'll get the test light out ..or at least take it in to jeepman he will fix you up cheap
    its almost impossible to do a electrical diagnostic without hands on .

pm if you want me to have a quick look
    www.krawlerz.com

Thanks tjdave, I finally got it after checking and replacing a few fuses and re-wiring.

no worries ,glad to hear you got it fixed..