Thread: gear ratio question

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 3 Days 15 Hrs 44 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 55 Secs

gear ratio question

if my current gear ratio is 3.30:1 and I install 2.5 ton rockwell with 6.72:1 ratio gears, essentially the exact double, then instead of 29 inch tires I should be geard for 58 inch tires, right?

I would go ten percent lower for the extra weight of the tires lke 53 and it shold be geared just righ, right?

Time Online: 1 Day 8 Hrs 12 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit86 View Post
    if my current gear ratio is 3.30:1 and I install 2.5 ton rockwell with 6.72:1 ratio gears, essentially the exact double, then instead of 29 inch tires I should be geard for 58 inch tires, right?

I would go ten percent lower for the extra weight of the tires lke 53 and it shold be geared just righ, right?

Not sure how that makes sence but hey if you but the Rockwells in it and run 58's I wanna see it LOL!
    The Lost Soul R.I.P.!!!!
    Frogzilla
    87 Samurai LWB, 1.6L Injected, 38" TSL's, SPOA, Mighty Kong w/ Gorillas, Toyota axles front and rear, Toyota Hi Steer, and 6.4:1 Gears. Lincoln front and rear, 5.29 gears, Power Steering and frame stretch. Lets play guess the parts! 9500lb Champion front and 8000lb Champion rear, got to pull out the Heeps with something.

http://community.webshots.com/user/xjrob
    www.so4x4.myfastforum.org
    lostsoul71@hotmail.com

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    You must have a huge ride to get big meats under it! Post some pic's, Id like to check it out

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 3 Days 15 Hrs 44 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 55 Secs
    it's mostly theoretical... It would have to have huge fendertrimming with a sawzall like that brown landcruiser that's floating around on here somewhere.

I'm simply asking if the gear reduction would work like that. In real life, especially under a little range rover, I wouldn't want anything bigger then 44s

Time Online: 1 Day 8 Hrs 12 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit86 View Post
    it's mostly theoretical... It would have to have huge fendertrimming with a sawzall like that brown landcruiser that's floating around on here somewhere.

I'm simply asking if the gear reduction would work like that. In real life, especially under a little range rover, I wouldn't want anything bigger then 44s

Not really, in real life you face rolling weight Surface area etc. I know in theory your ratio would be the same, but to make it perform like stock it would need and increase in power as well. For example I have 3.73's stock in my Samurai and I run 34" tires so if stock tires were 26" I would only really need to go to 4.10 to correct for this. I have doen one better and gone to a 24% Increase through the T-case. This is like running a 4.62 in the axles and still it is not enough for the bigger tires to use the Hi Range offroad on anything but a flat surface. I have even gone one up on that with the addition of the 1.6L over the stock 1.3L. I would really need more axle gear to make it better, but with the Toys on there way in, I am not investing more time on the Stockers.