Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champion 8000lbs winch

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Champion 8000lbs winch

Whats happening guy and gals, I was just wondering what you all think of the Champion 8000lbs winch because I found them at Canadian tire and I considering buying one for $500. What do you all think of it, is it a good investment? Cheers
    2000 Jeep TJ 4hamster - 2"Skyjacker Lift - Skyjacker Quick Disconnects - BFGoodrich All Terrain 33x10.5" - S/S Acessories - Piaas - 4:10s

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 10 Hrs 16 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 46 Secs
    try searching, tons of threads and debates. Personally I picked up a 9500 from costco for $400 and love it although Ive only used it once. Good bang for the buck in my opinion.

Time Online: 1 Wk 18 Hrs 23 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 38 Secs
    ^ x2 I ran the 8000 on my yj and so do a couple others from around here, never really had any trouble.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 6 Days 17 Hrs 32 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs
    is it hard to mount that Champion to a stock TJ bumper?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 49 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    I've seen 2 Champions break doing some very simple light pulls.

I'd rather spend my money on a better winch and know it will be there for me.
    I want a Grand Wagoneer!!

03 Tracker LT - DD
    96 Talon TSI AWD - Jack Stand Queen That's Almost Running Again
    08 JK Unlimited Sahara - 2.5" BB, 33" BFGs (Hers)

Time Online: 2 Days 7 Hrs 46 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs
    I think the 9500LB is under $500 at COSTCO

j
    Old accountants don't die, they just lose their balance.

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 10 Hrs 16 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 46 Secs
    Well, thats not what I paid for my 9500

hopefully me_kilo can post of the vid of my winch in action, but heres an idea of what I pulled... but only time will tell if it will last.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Day 19 Hrs 44 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 4 Secs
    Picked up my 9500 for $430 after taxes when they were on special.
    Think they're about $450 + tax now, but not sure.

If you're not happy with it, take it back to Costco and tell them that it's not working and they'll return it, simple.
    "If it's not broke, your not trying"
    -Red Green

2000 TJ, 3.5" RE Superflex lift, 1" coil spacers in front, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 9500lb winch, Super 30/35 front/rear e-lockers, newly re-installed (and straightned) HD Rugged Ridge tierod and draglink

Card carrying member of Team Red. Or would be if we had cards.....

Thumbs up

Costco employee here. Definately buy it from us. If we have what you want model wise it shouldnt be cheaper elsewhere but we're not perfect! Its just worth it to buy it from us because if it breaks within a few years we'll give you 100% refund if you keep your reciept.

Time Online: 15 Mins 46 Secs
    Hey, since you work at costco, you'd be a buddy and hook up your discount wouldn't ya?

Costco won't take it back after a year. I had the 3000lb on my Zook, did it's job for one summer and took a crap during CampNL. Anyways, my buddy(who has the membership) took it back less than a month after the year had past and they wouldn't take it. Even with the receipt. Even pulled the, I'm sorry doesn't the sign behind you say, "We guarentee every product we sell, with a full refund". They said, not on winches.
    www.TEAMHUMAN.tk
    1989 Suzuki Samurai - SPOA, CJ/RUF with Homebrew ML, 4:1 twinstick, custom bumpers, 33's
    1996 GMC Sonoma
    http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8...nercopywh0.jpg

"Always remember to lube up your shaft before you put it in the rearend" - Lou from MuscleCar
    http://community.webshots.com/user/atticusxj
    http://picasaweb.google.com/AtticusXJ

Time Online: 10 Hrs 27 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    I get so sick of hearing people say their champion pulled good once or twice. I'll hang my truck from a tree and power in and out all day like a yoyo and not have to worry about it with my 8274...... Me and Shippy were just talking about this the other day.... save for another month and get a used WARN. Please save us a bunch of the same BS and read what's already been debated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over............ do some research and ask people what they know to be the best/most reliable winch for their/your needs - not where can I get the cheapest winch to bolt to my flimsy factory frame rails/bumper with TSC white metal Grade 5 bolts.....

Time Online: 10 Hrs 27 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    Thanks btw.... I REALLY needed to get that off my chest.... (AND, I've heard the old "I can only buy what I can afford blah blah etc etc" - Best advice in the meantime (WHILE YOU SAVE) is to wheel with a friend and buy some real good straps!)

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 49 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuckie View Post
    Thanks btw.... I REALLY needed to get that off my chest.... (AND, I've heard the old "I can only buy what I can afford blah blah etc etc" - Best advice in the meantime (WHILE YOU SAVE) is to wheel with a friend and buy some real good straps!)
    werd Matt.

FYI... out here in BC, we have a shit load of rednecks.. with heavy fullsize boggin trucks.. they all went in on a group buy with the Costco 8000lb winches... most have been abusing theirs in the last year at least every weekend. They last, but when you get it, pull it apart and properly grease in the required areas, and waterproof it, and it will last... and if it doesn't they will take it back with receipt, and YES, after 1 YEAR!!!! As, mine set on fire, and I was only pulling a quad out.. 16 months after purchase date, I took it back, no questions asked..

cheers, Lyle
    Here is a recent vid of my waggy.. and please excuse the foul language.. not too proud of it myself:

www.brendan.fnworks.net/lyle/march11,2007.wmv

Was taken on Vancouver Island, BC.

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 11 Hrs 29 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 21 Secs
    I always thought the Champion was a fairly good buy if it was maintained on a regular basis. I have since changed my mind in light of recent developments or rather the superiority of some budget winches within the same price range featuring far superior features than that found on the Champion. The one thing that always bothered me with the Champion Winch was the 3.6 motor due to its size it has a tendency to burn out or overheat to easily.But for the price i thought it was a good compromise. That is until i started learning about the manufacturing process and other competitors for this price range.

Time Online: 1 Day 8 Hrs 12 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Matt I Like your point LOL! These winches are just what you get a cheap winch. I would pay the same or more for a used WARN before paying it for a new Champion. First thing to ask yourself is do I need it or is it so the TJ looks like it needs it. The only person who will be impressed by a winch on a truck will also know if it is there for a reason or not. I have seen more trucks with Winches that never have been used it is not funny. IF you think you need one and no one else has one then you do not need one that bad. I got a great deal on mine (bought a used M8000) and it has never been used to recover my own truck. I have an issue with snapping other trucks out of stuff with my truck as it is light and it has gears in the T-case I would rather not harm for no reason. I can tie off to another truck and or tree and winch out anyone in our group with no effort and to me that is easier on both vehicles.
    The Lost Soul R.I.P.!!!!
    Frogzilla
    87 Samurai LWB, 1.6L Injected, 38" TSL's, SPOA, Mighty Kong w/ Gorillas, Toyota axles front and rear, Toyota Hi Steer, and 6.4:1 Gears. Lincoln front and rear, 5.29 gears, Power Steering and frame stretch. Lets play guess the parts! 9500lb Champion front and 8000lb Champion rear, got to pull out the Heeps with something.

http://community.webshots.com/user/xjrob
    www.so4x4.myfastforum.org
    lostsoul71@hotmail.com

Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 10 Hrs 17 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 41 Secs
    my .02$...profiled a few members saying wait to purchasr a warn. I usually view these people fortunate enough to effort multiple vehicles and insurance. If I didn't grab a champion when I had the extra cash I'd never get one..To me its like saying don't buy the cavalier..wait and buy a porsche in so many years and walk till then...extreme example...not complaining just explaining

Time Online: 1 Day 8 Hrs 12 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by RUDY View Post
    my .02$...profiled a few members saying wait to purchasr a warn. I usually view these people fortunate enough to effort multiple vehicles and insurance. If I didn't grab a champion when I had the extra cash I'd never get one..To me its like saying don't buy the cavalier..wait and buy a porsche in so many years and walk till then...extreme example...not complaining just explaining
    I have to disagree there man, I am not running around in any Porsche, but if you can get a Champion for say $500 or look for a used WARN, I paid $400 what do you think is the better deal. I will admit my driving style has changed since I went to the Zuk and a Tow machine, but I have less money in my Zuk and Tow rig than most Jeeps I wheel with. Hell even if I bought the Diesel Truck I am looking at I could keep all three and still have less than half the cost of a Single stock Rubicon.

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 11 Hrs 29 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 21 Secs
    i think the best thing for you to do would be to research a little. I just purchased a Warn M8000 and in the last month i have heard of a number of them having the gears explode. As you can imagine I feel all warm and fuzzy about that and at this time i am rethinking as to wether i even want to install this winch.
    Rudy you make a valid point as to Cost . It all comes down to the terrain and number of times it will be used etc. Robert makes a very good point in that he mentions using the winch as opposed to attempting to recover them using a strap. The winch is definetlly easier on the drivetrain and is a lot more controlled.
    Right now i am a little confused with Winches as I have spent to much time lately looking into them but from what I am hearing the older Warns seem to be of better quality ( this does not include the 8274 model) than the newer units.