Thread: 98 Dodge Caravan rear brakes and wheel bearing?

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 50 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs

98 Dodge Caravan rear brakes and wheel bearing?

:confused:
    Just like it says the wifes ride has a whining at a certain speed, 80-85 km/hr and thats it. I have been suspecting a couple of rear wheel bearings for a while now. Is this a tough job? It's front wheel drive so I dont expect it will be too tough but can anyone offer some insight? Also without thinking I pushed the ebrake just one notch the other night and it never gets used so I think it may have seized a bit. Wheel was pretty hot for the ride home but seemed to be no drag when I coasted. It's a 98 front wheel drive of course. Any special tools needed for the rear brakes? Any help would be appreciated.
    Bring back the Cherokee http://www.petitiononline.com/Cherokee/petition.html

say what you want about my wife, leave my jeeps out of it.
    93 HO, 4.5" skyjacker lift, taurus fan, H4 lights, champion 8000lbs winch, custom home made front bumper, rear hitch, 136 amp alternator, 5-90's full mains set replacement with main fuse. High idle on switch, rear cargo area full extension drawer cabinet. Dual Batteries, Sanden oba and removable doors.V8 ZJ tie rod replacement with OTK insert.

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 6 Hrs 35 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 25 Secs
    If it's the rear bearings the brake shoes "probably" won't have to come off ,just the drum. At least that's my experience with other Chrysler and Ford products.... You will need a large socket ,not sure of the size, but it's available at CT/Partsource loan-a-tool programs.
    Chances are you are probably due for new brake shoes and drums anyway though, unless they've been done recently.

Time Online: 17 Hrs 58 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    I did the rear wheel bearings in my Caravan a bunch of years ago with the help of a mechanic.. it was pretty straight forward.. but i had waited until my bearing tore apart, and the wheel was pretty wonky.. i ended up getting a new hub assembly in (scrap yard, 60 bucks)

It was a 94 Caravan, can't imagine it being much different..

with regards to the Ebrake, when i first got the van, i used it.. and it seized on.. a few cracks with the hammer, and some KRAK (penetrating oil) I got it free.. with ebrakes you either use them, or lose them... I am in the habbit of using them whenever I park.. Auto or Manual. (the transmission is not a kick-stand!)

Keepn' the Rubber Side down.

'06 TJ | 2 headlights | broken cheap ass fogs | 30 lbs of mud in frame | undersized spare | dented fender | dented rear quarter | Stainless washers on license plate | softdoors with broken handles | Three black box thingies that look expensive | rusty hitch | lots more payments

I Support OF4WD

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard
    thank you i needed a new sig

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 50 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Days late, but I've done rear bearings in a ½ dozen Caravans. You'll need simple hand tools to pull the 4 bolts (shoes do not need to be removed), and a BFG and punches to get the bearing out of the hub. Make sure to have on hand sand paper and a wire brush to clean the hub surface. Anti-seize is a good idea, incase your new one fails in a few years.

Good luck... if it's not done already
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 18 Hrs 47 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    Anyone ever do a rear bearing on an AWD dodge/chrysler??
    93 cherokee 4ltr w/3"rusty's
    88 comanche2wd-4ltr,100,000km
    02 town&country
    94 Ranger4x4, 4ltr w/2". d/d

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Nope, but other than having an axle splined to it, shouldn't be much different.