Thread: OBD II scanner

Time Online: 1 Wk 18 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 34 Secs

OBD II scanner

My DD started with the engine light deal again. Apparently it needs a new intake manifold gasket, but I just want to see if this it associated to the same problem.

Anybody have an OBD II scanner I could check my codes on? I will be trying a new mechanic most likely as I have no time to do this myself and I dont want to go in blind and be taken by a crooked mechanic.

Also, I work in the Kipling & The Queensway area and there are alot of mechanics around here but I was wondering if anybody knows of a good one in the area?

I drive from Hamilton to Toronto everyday so anybody with a scanner in that area would be great.

Any info would help.

Thanks
    93 YJ
    4" rough Country Susp. lift 2" shackle lift 2" Body Lift, TJ Flares
    35" M/T's
    Cobra CB with no antenna (thanks Grimsby)

Time Online: 5 Days 11 Hrs 21 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 27 Secs
    try primcess auto i just got one onsale...( another story) and it works there regular 80 bucks
    if it aint broke... i dont own it!

I got yer jeep thing.......now it hurts when i pee......

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 11 Hrs 29 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 21 Secs
    I have one you can borrow i am in Burlington ( close to ikea) you can reach me at 905 630 8246.
    Cheers.

thanks guys. the light went off for now but I know it will be back soon.(it comes on when it wants to) Am I right in assuming that there will be no codes if the engine light isnt on at the time?

Time Online: 6 Hrs 10 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    I also have one. I am in toronto/Aurora and in between all the time.
    BEST4X4XFAR
    2002 Range Rover 4.6HSE Borrego Edition - Adventure Package, Dual Exhaust...
    1999 Volvo V70 R AWD- .:Ti Silver/Black:. SportsWagon
    1990 Land Rover Range Rover 3.9L V8- .:SandGlow Yellow:. Modded - Trail Rig-SOLD
    "Public Roads-Gov't Waste"
    1991 BMW M5- .:Black/Black:.Modded - Autobahn Machine-SOLD

Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 20 Hrs 15 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 53 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by His Royal Jeepness View Post
    thanks guys. the light went off for now but I know it will be back soon.(it comes on when it wants to) Am I right in assuming that there will be no codes if the engine light isnt on at the time?
    No, the ECM holds the codes for a set number of starts so they should still be in there. One of the most common ones I've seen is the evaporative leak code (on cars that I've scanned) and it usually relates to the gas cap. If it's not secured properly or has a bad seal it can trip intermittently. I had a little bit of rust in the filler neck and that was enough to trip the light.

Get it scanned as soon as you can to be sure, don't worry about the light being out.

OF4WD member #5255

Duncan - Are you going to be around Saturday late morning? Ill give you a call. Thanks

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 11 Hrs 29 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 21 Secs
    Yes i will be home got to put up decorations on Saturday.
    Cheers.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    What's the vehicle? I'm assuming it's 96+ since you asked for OBDII
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

ya, it is a 2002 Saturn.
    Sorry I didnt get to you on Saturday, I had to attend a funeral. Also, I guess I shouldnt have disregarded the chech engine light so easily as I had the roughest ride of my life yesterday and had to limp into a local shop by my work. I told him to call me before he did anything but instead he proceeded to change my plugs and wires and tried to charge me $250. I am pretty pissed about that one. i gave him $200.
    I hate winter, you never have any time to fix anything and it is too damn cold to even do the simple things.

I am pretty sure I still need to replace the Intake manifold gasket though. Anybody know a good place to do this? Everybody tells me to not try this one by myself.

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 54 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    Whats so hard about the intake manifold gasket? Getting to it takes longer then changing it. I've done it already. I did it on the SL with the 1.9 4 cyl. the gasket cost 24 dollars and it is FelPro part No. FPMS96067 it comes with 2 studs 3 donut gaskets and the intake manifold gasket. Like I said it takes more time to get to it, pull off the old one, then to clean the head, put on the new gasket. The buttoning up is fairly easy, be very patient though, and loose fit the parts on with a loose fit (finger tight) before tightening, it will save you a lot of swearing and frustration.