Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attn: XJ Snorkel

Time Online: 20 Hrs 15 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

Attn: XJ Snorkel

A while ago I was on this site talking with a few people who made a 'firewall' snorkel. The one where it travels into the firewall and draws air through the windshield louvers. I remember talking with a few YJ owners and this one guy had a great design (with offsite link) where he stuffed the filter in the firewall as well. He didn't just have the tube run into it, but he pounded out part of the firewall and was able to house a filter in it. Anyays, there was a guy on here who said he did it to his XJ, and now that I'm thinking about running a dbs, I could use the extra space from the stock airbox to house my extra battery. Just wondering if anyone knows of who has done this mod to their XJ.

thanks,

Nav

Oh, n btw Ive done plenty of searching, but a lot of them I come across are old threads from early 2002/3, and the links are disabled.

Time Online: 1 Day 14 Hrs 17 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    but wouldnt that only move the air intake a couple inches higher? if that? if you want to go in water you need a higher air intake.
    PIT BOYZ - PB4L OF4WD # 4898 www.of4wd.com
    WHEN IN DOUBT... GO FULL OUT!
    1985 K1500. SBC, 700r4, 44 front, 14b rear 4:56 40" TSL's
    Drinks Well With Others!... WELL WITH MOST!
    PB4L

no its actually pretty smart. if you get water up into the upper part of your firewall where your wiper motor is, you're going to have more problems with your electrical system to worry about than a hydrolcoked motor.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 3 Secs
    I've thought about doing it, the only thing that'd hold me back is ice and snow clogging up the grill over the cowl.

That'd certainly be cold air though!

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 10 Hrs 17 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 41 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by JPhoenix View Post
    I've thought about doing it, the only thing that'd hold me back is ice and snow clogging up the grill over the cowl.

I have that excact issue with my safari snorkel on TJ. It cloggs with snow on windy days

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    Even if the vents clog with snow, there will still be air drawn from the vents which allow the water to escape from that area. It may not be alot, but should suffice until you remove the snow from that area. One of my pet peeves is people who don't remove as much snow as they can, then let it fly off as they drive down the road, sometimes including chunks of ice, or crusted snow.

Anyway, I have moved my cone filter to the pass side like a wranglers, and have thought of doing a cold air mod like the OP talks about. If you do it, I would think cutting into the pass side to draw the air may be better, as it would draw air from the driver side, but miss out on any rain and snow which would drip into the vents there.

check NAXJA, it has some good threads on it, and some pictures aswell that can be found in a search.
    insert something witty here

ya I did a huuuge search on NAXJA last night and only seen the actual snorkels for the xj that hang outside or ram through the hood. I dont like the look of em, and they utalize the stock airbox location. maybe over the holidays I will just do it myself and post up a thread of how I did it.

Time Online: 1 Day 18 Mins 9 Secs
    I have seen a YJ done with the air intake thru the firewall....

Here is a link on MadXJ that shows it on a XJ

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...tomSnorkle.htm

Tim
    2003 Rubicon Inca Gold Trail Machine
    2007 GC SRT8 DD
    1998 Grand Cherokee LTD 5.9 SC 408 Sleeper
    88 XJ Black ( Slightly Used, But set up nice ) Sold
    OF4WD Member #5301

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 42 Secs
    I was me. I said I was going to do it. There is no room for a decent size filter in that area. So instead I had a Bendix ABS System that I had previously removed so I place my filter in that area of the engine bay and now am fabbing a sealed box for the filter an a 2.5-3" tube that is going to run into the vailance area under the windshield.

I just have to get the box part and ducting finished some time, and my prediction will be it won't be soon.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

did you find any of these on NAXJA

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...le+in+firewall
    scroll down too thread #43 on this next one

MADXJ site
    Dang someone beat me to the MADXJ site, good one for plenty o mods tho.

Not sure if those are exactly what your looking for, but hope it helps.
    Last edited by beakie; 12-07-2007 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTime View Post
    I have seen a YJ done with the air intake thru the firewall....

Here is a link on MadXJ that shows it on a XJ

Tim
    thanks man. I have already seen that Idea before. I like the idea, but it still harnesses the stock airbox

Quote Originally Posted by JKMotorsports View Post
    I was me. I said I was going to do it. There is no room for a decent size filter in that area. So instead I had a Bendix ABS System that I had previously removed so I place my filter in that area of the engine bay and now am fabbing a sealed box for the filter an a 2.5-3" tube that is going to run into the vailance area under the windshield.

I just have to get the box part and ducting finished some time, and my prediction will be it won't be soon.
    well that doesn't help me out now does it lol

Quote Originally Posted by beakie View Post
    did you find any of these on NAXJA

scroll down too thread #43 on this next one

MADXJ site
    Dang someone beat me to the MADXJ site, good one for plenty o mods tho.

Not sure if those are exactly what your looking for, but hope it helps.
    thanks Beakie for all the links. I did come across those in my seach last night, except for this one

But it is still the same concept, the one Im trying to get away from. Having the stock airbox, and/or something in the stock airbox location. I have come up with a great idea, and I think this weekend I am about to jot down dimensions and maybe fabb some stuff up. If not this weekend, then definately over my holidays. My plan is to not have the airbox in its current location.

thanks again peeps for the help,

if you stumble upon anything else thow, please post er up!

in my junkeryard walks I have noticed (from advice found online) that Windstars and some other Ford vehicles have somewhat of an closed cone intakes. its a cone filter, in a case which is sealed, tube input and output. not sure tube sizes or whether it would suffice feeding the air required, but I have thought about picking one up to hide on pass side and suck from the firewall like your looking too.

make sure to post up your results tho, looking forward to the end product.

Thanks beakie, also early 90's Turbo Eagle Talons/Mistu Eclipses did to and there are off the shelf filters like K&N for them.

OKAY

Having a problem: Im fabbing one up through the firewall, and unfortunately I have to run a stock airbox. I have modified it a great deal, so it will more or less function the way that I want it to, but in order for the snorkel to fit properly, I have to remove/relocate the windshield washer fluid bottle. This is a problem as I am pre- when ever they decided to move the bottle into the finder. So what did you have to do, or have seen done? I was thinking about the way the oldschool cars used a glass bottle, I might take out the pump part, and fit it into a 750ml coke bottle or something. The only problem I can see is it not sealing up properly and having the potential to leak, and is very easily punctured. that and Id probably go through a couple bottles of it when playing around in the mud, but at least the engine wont hydro.

Any pics of what you guys have done, or have seen done? Its nice outside now, so Im hoping to get'r done tonight.

Cheers

from what I have seen, the washer fluid bottle has been in a few dif places over the years, or maybe its dependant on the engine.

I took mine from the wheel well and got one from a older model and put it beside the brake booster, where I take it yours is now.
    what about moving it to the other side, in front of where the passenger is? I have seen it there atleast once, but not sure of year. they mount rather simply, and can be moved where ever you like, or can fit it. grab some more hose, lengthen wires if need be and find an uncluttered place.

I mounted my winch solenoids there so I am going to mount mine maybe in the interior were the ABS Computer used to sit under the rear seat. The only problem is hose length and the fluid running back, but some check valves can fix that.

I just figured it out utalizing a smaller bottle i had lying around from another build. The idea works amazing, and although I haven't quite finished it up asthetics wise, I took 'er for a boot 'round the block and it works mint. I used 3" ID pipe for the intake, and I actually think its made a difference in pep. I have a few more things to do to it before I hit some water or in this case, ice.. but so far two thumbs up. will post pics later on when all is complete.

Nav

Time Online: 3 Days 2 Hrs 11 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Secs
    Doesn't make a difference! I have it and I noticed noting! If there is a power loss, you would just be spinning the tires with the extra anyway! I love this mod! Sounds awesome!! More BFH'ing then I thought but it all worked! Bought mine off ebay(93 civic short ram) for $9.95 and it cost $20 something to ship!

Quote Originally Posted by JPhoenix View Post

I don't care who ya are...that's funny!!

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 3 Secs
    Matgyver: Coolness! Did you open up both sides of the cowl? Or leave it stock? Any piccies?

well for mine I can't hear the intake over the exhaust! even with the windows up! lol but I did notice an improvement in pep. Nuff said'

good mod all n all