Thread: Alero head gasket?

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs

Alero head gasket?

So after seeing how easy my head gasket is being replaced, my buddy has decided to finally do the gasket on his 99 Alero.

Now the head on a 4L isn't proving very hard to do, but I am thinking the V6 (3.4L I believe) may be a little harder.

Anyone have any ideas on difficulty, and whats needed to do this job. I figure we can get a head gasket kit like I did for the 4L, but are there pieces which should be replaced while we are in there at the same time.
    insert something witty here

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    not too bad to do, but then ive done lots! workin at g.m.! if your mechanically minded then its all kinda the same..any questions pm me and i will let yah know...
    just having good times wheelin with buddies...cheers!!!

no club! no affiliation...

Time Online: 1 Day 8 Hrs 8 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    3.4L is the greatest engine ever built....well....if your a mechanic.

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    thanks guys, it looks like we will be going at it, now I am trying to track down torque specs and other required information before we tear into it.

After getting my head back from decking this afternoon I was talking with the machinist. He says the 3.4's are prone to gasket failure, and when it happens there are 2 normal spots it happens. If/when the head is pulled, its often a good idea to get it machined, as the corners can curl up causing problems that much sooner again.

So again, tracking down torque specs, and getting machining done... should be another fun time.

Thanks guys.