Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into welding

Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 20 Hrs 17 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 2 Secs

Getting into welding

hey everybody. I was at Canadian tire today and i almost picked up a mig welder that was on sale. My question is how hard is it to pick up welding? I pretty much do everything else but not that. I was originally going to pay someone to patch my holes, but by the time i do that i would have spent more money then just buying a welder, and also it gives me a reason to buy a new toy! Any tips or specs that i should be looking at will be greatly appreciated

cheers

Scott

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 10 Secs
    lincoln electric 110 mig pack, that's my small one and i use it the most, if you want to know more pm me ill give you my #, i can talk welding all day long...
    CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!
    DINGA DING DANG, MY DANGA LONG LING LONG
    OF4WD#5576
    BOOYAH!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    can you use a hot glue gun while blind folded?? If yes then your a certified welder
    Not really but its not much harder. Set it up, read the manual and PRACTICE!
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    1 year ago my beads look more like boogers, and I didn't understand wire speed, penetration or anything else about welding. I think getting a welder and practicing is a good idea, even the reading is important.
    For me though, the best thing was to have a friend who knew how to weld show me how to do it properly the first time. From there it took a little advice here, an example there to show me the finer points of how to do certain things, but now after putting together a solid front bumper, replacing my rusted out rockers with 2x4 tube, and a few other projects here and there, I feel very confident iny my skills. Enough that I too have thought of grabbing a welder from CT, but now I want something a little bigger/better than they carry so have to wait for the time and $$.

So if you know someone with the skills, learn right the first time. So if/when you do buy your own welder, you know what to look for and what you really want out of it. So your not buying twice.

Your really going to enjoy the fruits of your labour once you have picked it up tho.
    insert something witty here

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 10 Secs
    "Enough that I too have thought of grabbing a welder from CT, but now I want something a little bigger/better than they carry so have to wait for the time and $$."

Crappy T's sells some good stuff, you just need to know what you really need, no sense going out and buying a high zoot unit, when all you need to do for the most part on a jeep resto is mig weld sheet metal, and not to many regular folk have a 220 outlet in the garage.

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    oh I know they do, and even still I may end up getting one... at work I have been using a hobart, and I really like it. I used a 110 Lincoln to replace my rockers, and really liked it.
    But for me I don't like that I can get a Lincoln Kit, for the price of a better welder (in my limited experience). I would rather spend extra money on a stand alone welder, than the same money on a full welding kit that I will replace some of anyway (crappy mask and such)
    That said if/when CT put the Lincoln 220 on at a really good price, and I happen to have the money and... ahem... permission, to spend that money I certainly wouldn't pass up a good deal just because of the colour of a box and the name on the side.

Time Online: 1 Day 20 Hrs 25 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs
    If you are looking for a welder, you might want to contact michigan air products in bolton. I bought a 220v 185A mig unit for $500.00. Its a thermal Arc unit (Therma Dyne) many of the components are the same as a miller or hobart. Takes a large spool has a burnback control, you can also change polarity, came w/ regs and all. I don't know how low ct puts their 220 welder on for, but I know it is not near the quality of a good unit.

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    The Lincoln Electric 220V MigPak 15 is a pretty good welder and to add a 220V outlet to your garage is no big deal, & for the cost of a circuit breaker and some wire of the appropriate size there's a lot you can use it for.

Time Online: 15 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Cool welder

I have a mig pac 10 from C.T. 110 volt unit, for what we do on vehicles it is well within the needs of most on here. Mine came with the gas kit, a cheap little shield, wire brush. The first thing we do usually is wear out the brush, go with the flux core wire and upgrade the shield. So if you buy a bigger more expensive unit it may not be the best way to go, if you are on a budget. You can maybe pay more for the welder, but you will more than likely end up upgrading the shield, wearing out the wire brush anyway.
    For me the migpac 10 was the ticket, cheaper, and it made it easier to upgrade to the autodarkening shield a lot sooner.
    I also have 220 in the garage, and I have a lincoln 225 amp welder from C.T. for the "big jobs".
    2011 2 door wrangler sport
    2004 grand cherokee laredo; stock (for now)

Time Online: 13 Hrs 52 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    If all you are welding is body panels, the CTC Lincoln mig paks are ok, but if you want to do more with it, find a Lincoln dealer (Praxair in St Catharines) and buy one from there, they are a little more money, but you get what you pay for. We have the 120 volt Lincoln one from them at work, and we use it out on the floor in the plant, gives a nice weld with good penetration

Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 20 Hrs 17 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 2 Secs
    thanks for all the responses. gives me alot to think about. i guess the next question is because i need one of my patches done ASAP is there anybody in the Guelph area that would like to make a few extra bucks? PM me if interested

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    It may not sound glamourous, but you can do the job of floor patching with rivets. I've done it more than once, and as long as you seal it and paint it, it'll last a good long time too.

I'm not saying it's as good as a good welding job, but there isn't much to learn and it's sooooo much cheaper.

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

Time Online: 4 Days 7 Hrs 39 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs
    I got a 110V 90A wirefeed flux core welder from HF in the US a couple years ago .. $120 .. I had never welded a thing in my life. I've welded tons of bicycle frames and other various thing and have yet to have something break .. it is by far the handiest toy in my garage.
    \m/

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 43 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by kfsmith View Post
    If I bought a 220v 185A mig unit for $500.00. Its a thermal Arc unit (Therma Dyne) many of the components are the same as a miller or hobart.
    Thermal Arcs are very good units. I now afew people running the TIG and the are hand done better the the comparable Miller or Lincoln units.

Personaly I started on a Lincoln 110v MIGPac. Converting from FLux to gas made a world or difference. Now we have a Hobart IronMan 250. Welding on a larger capable unit is much nicer, but you have to justify the cost of it. And the ability to do aluminum is nice too.

I also have a Chinese brand TIG. It's nice and I have modded it in many ways. It is great in situations were you need that extra penetration, but sucks on Chassis as the contamination make thing a pain.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Time Online: 1 Day 8 Hrs 23 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs

take a course

i took some classes at the local college night program not a bad price and i learnt very quick. i had ben playing before that but when you learn proper technique you learn the feel even faster and all that. plus depending on what you do if its at all useable at work talk to your employer about payinf for some or all of it. plus the teacher should be able to guide you into what type depanding on projects. Plus theres alot of safety stuff to learn that i didnt know and it gives you confidence in your work. Just cause a weld looks nice dosent mean its strong....Good luck

Time Online: 5 Hrs 51 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    I have a MIg Pak 15 from Canadian tire also. It is a good unit, but after you buy it on sale and buy a good regulator and a gas bottle it's around a $1000.
    I would go to Praxair and get set up there with a 110 model and everything else you will need. Variable amperage is nice to have also.
    Good luck.

Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 20 Hrs 15 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 52 Secs
    I also have the Migpak 15 and agree that you're into around a grand with gas and hydro set-up.

I had a 110 V Mig pak 10 and would never go back. The only cost difference is a hundred bux for the unit and whatever hydro costs you. The 110 is fine for sheet metal and light stuff but if you start to build anything more substantial you'll find out pretty quickly that the 110 isn't up to the job. Virtually everything I've built for the Jeep has been at higher settings than the MP10 could put out.

OF4WD member #5255

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    I'm using a Millermatic 140 that uses 110v and it will do up to 1/4" on a single pass with fluxcore. There is very little if anything on a Jeep that is thicker than 1/4". $200 at an auction and it was the best $200 I ever spent on any tool! besides the $200 8274

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 50 Mins 4 Secs
    yeah, got mine from a buddy this year, a lincoln 110V pack and started learning this summer, Im not great but it's all in practice. Lots you can do with it. Have fun. Oh got mine for 150. Good money spent.
    Bring back the Cherokee http://www.petitiononline.com/Cherokee/petition.html

say what you want about my wife, leave my jeeps out of it.
    93 HO, 4.5" skyjacker lift, taurus fan, H4 lights, champion 8000lbs winch, custom home made front bumper, rear hitch, 136 amp alternator, 5-90's full mains set replacement with main fuse. High idle on switch, rear cargo area full extension drawer cabinet. Dual Batteries, Sanden oba and removable doors.V8 ZJ tie rod replacement with OTK insert.

My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 1 Day 9 Hrs 10 Mins 15 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisbuilt View Post
    can you use a hot glue gun while blind folded?? If yes then your a certified welder
    Not really but its not much harder. Set it up, read the manual and PRACTICE!
    LOL I sure hope his welds hold together better than hot glue.

I've been considering buying an inexpensive 110V welder from Princess Auto however you often get what you pay for. Instead I chose a 220V Lincoln Electric AC-225 stick welder from Cdn Tire. This way if I get into fabricating I don't have to trade up to a more powerful welder. Now to wire up a 220V socket in the garage.

Say can I do bodywork with a stick welder? I thought a small wire feed welder was better suited for it.
    just my two cents...take it for what its worth...

95 YJ, RE 4" lift, 33" Procomp Extreme M/T's, Warn M8000 and mud - Trail Queen
    04 Liberty Sport, 2.5" Rusty's lift, ProComp LT245/75R16 AT's & a pair of Hella 700FF Lamps - Highway/Trail Ride & sometimes tow rig