Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Cold Air Intake

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,398
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Rep Power
    13

    Cold Air Intake

    With all the changes I made under the hood, I couldn't fit the YJ air box without a bunch of re-molding of the bottom of the box, so I decided I needed a new intake system but couldn't bring myself to spend over $250 for the whole kit. Here's a few pictures of what I ended up with, including a K&N Filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AirIntake-01.JPG   AirIntake-03.JPG   AirIntake-04.JPG  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    thessalon
    Posts
    314
    Time Online: 1 Wk 23 Hrs 54 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    Rep Power
    10
    looks like all 3" ABS pipe
    good work
    what fitting did you use for the smaller lines to be connected? 3x1 1/2 Y
    or did you tap and thread

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,398
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Rep Power
    13
    Yes, I used ABS because it's handy, a real good insulator, and easy to put together. I shaved all the pipe ends to easily push right into the joints so that the air flow would be smooth - no eddies to restrict the intake diameter. I wanted to bend the pipe but found that the 1/4" wall was too thick to make it curve smoothly without a die - I tried it on a few pieces with plenty of heat and sand but the thickness was just too great & I didn't feel like searching for thin wall ABS. When I have more time, I'll try the whole thing using PVC - the standard 3" ID pipe is only 1/8" thick and heating about a foot on either side of a sand filled tube should let it bend fairly well. I would still use 2 ninety degree elbows - one for each end.

    The fittings for the hoses are also ABS 1 1/2" with a 3/4" thread. I used brass 1/2" barb-to-3/4" NPT thread adapters to hold the hoses. I sawed two holes in the 3" pipe and glued the 1 1/2 adapters into place. Before gluing them in, I cut the bottoms so that they wouldn't protrude beyond the inside of the pipe, again to keep the flow of air smooth.
    Last edited by Alfons; 12-29-2007 at 07:07 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,398
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Rep Power
    13
    The heat shield is 18 gauge galvanized, with a 4" hole cut into the piece that attaches to the pipe, and the mounting flange is an ABS 3" - 4" drain (without the drain cover obviously). This drain give me about a 1/2" flange with a couple of screw holes - I used a die grinder to remove the inside of the drain to allow the 3" pipe to slide through and a bit of glue for a solid fit.

    If I was doing it again, I'd get 1/4" sheet ABS for the shield and make all the rest out of PVC.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Paradise, Newfoundland
    Posts
    4,106
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 49 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    Rep Power
    17
    I hope the ABS pipe isn't too close to the valve cover.

    Friend did this years ago and it melted off on the highway.
    I want a Grand Wagoneer!!

    03 Tracker LT - DD
    96 Talon TSI AWD - Jack Stand Queen That's Almost Running Again
    08 JK Unlimited Sahara - 2.5" BB, 33" BFGs (Hers)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,398
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Rep Power
    13
    I'll be keeping an eye on it, but I don't believe there's that much heat in that area, maybe if it was right on the cover and allowed to chafe it might have some effect. The original air box is ABS & it's closer to heat than I have my pipe and suffers no ill effects. A number of the cold air kits are all pre-formed from ABS as well, and if you do some on-line research on cold air intakes, you'll see quite a few made from the same materials.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Paradise, Newfoundland
    Posts
    4,106
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 49 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
    I'll be keeping an eye on it, but I don't believe there's that much heat in that area, maybe if it was right on the cover and allowed to chafe it might have some effect. The original air box is ABS & it's closer to heat than I have my pipe and suffers no ill effects. A number of the cold air kits are all pre-formed from ABS as well, and if you do some on-line research on cold air intakes, you'll see quite a few made from the same materials.
    Granted.

    The person who did this is no rocket scientist so who knows what he ****ed up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Orangeville
    Posts
    1,998
    Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 2 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    Rep Power
    13
    The heat limits for ABS increase with wall thickness, so it depends.. the stuff you used looks pretty beef -- If you use that really thin ABS stuff, it melts quite early.
    ----------------------
    Justin
    2012 Subaru WRX STi
    1996 Dodge RAM 1500
    2009 CAN-AM Outlander 650 MAX XT

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mildmay
    Posts
    1,927
    Time Online: 4 Days 17 Hrs 42 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 23 Secs
    Rep Power
    14
    your yj a fuelie ?? or carb ?? would that peice of rubber you got were the throttle body or carb neck is were'd ya get it and would it fit on a stock 4.2 carb ??? be easy way for me to snorkel my carb 4.2L lol
    I Like My Women Like I Like My Jeeps..... Wet And Dirty!!
    89 YJ Islander 4.2L, SOA d30/d44 lock rite locker, tj shafts/297 u joints, 35x16x15 boggers, custom wrap bar, 15x10 american racing rims, AA SYE, Warn 8274, custom front/rear bumper, fog lights, teraflex high steer, 1 ton tie rods ends, 40 series flowmaster, leather xj power seats - SOLD!!
    81 camaro, TH350, 468BBC - SOLD!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pickering
    Posts
    135
    Time Online: 3 Mins 37 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Rep Power
    12
    Nice! Thanks for sharing the pics too, they make it alot easier to see what you've done too. So what else have you done to the engine? And let us know what you think of the intake once you run it for a bit.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,398
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by 89_Jeeper View Post
    your yj a fuelie ?? or carb ?? would that peice of rubber you got were the throttle body or carb neck is were'd ya get it and would it fit on a stock 4.2 carb ??? be easy way for me to snorkel my carb 4.2L lol
    It's fuel injected, and the rubber joint is a flexible coupling you can get for ABS pipes - it's a 3" to 2" rubber coupling. The 3" side is about 3.5" in diameter, but the 2" side, being around 2.5" is a bit small to just put on cold. I heated the 2" side really well with a heat gun, then using a bit of liquid soap, I pushed it over the throttle body & let it set - it stayed that way. If you're planning on making a snorkel, I'd recommend finding a supplier of the thin wall ABS tubing (check the yellow pages - Canada 411 for plastic suppliers) to lighten the load - the standard drain pipe like I used is fairly heavy to have stuck up & flailing in the breeze. I was considering designing an intake that could be used for snorkel applications & will probably do so once I've got some time to talk with some of the plastics suppliers & it gets warm enough for me to set up a "heat box" outside. My heating setup leaves a lot of carbon monoxide behind, so I don't do that in my garage very often.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mildmay
    Posts
    1,927
    Time Online: 4 Days 17 Hrs 42 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 23 Secs
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
    It's fuel injected, and the rubber joint is a flexible coupling you can get for ABS pipes - it's a 3" to 2" rubber coupling. The 3" side is about 3.5" in diameter, but the 2" side, being around 2.5" is a bit small to just put on cold. I heated the 2" side really well with a heat gun, then using a bit of liquid soap, I pushed it over the throttle body & let it set - it stayed that way. If you're planning on making a snorkel, I'd recommend finding a supplier of the thin wall ABS tubing (check the yellow pages - Canada 411 for plastic suppliers) to lighten the load - the standard drain pipe like I used is fairly heavy to have stuck up & flailing in the breeze. I was considering designing an intake that could be used for snorkel applications & will probably do so once I've got some time to talk with some of the plastics suppliers & it gets warm enough for me to set up a "heat box" outside. My heating setup leaves a lot of carbon monoxide behind, so I don't do that in my garage very often.
    oh ok coooooooooooool, i wonder if i could get that rubber bushing u have on the thottle body to fit on my stock 4.2L carb ?? there isnt as much of a lip as the throttle bodies i noticed sooo

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,398
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by grinthock View Post
    The heat limits for ABS increase with wall thickness, so it depends.. the stuff you used looks pretty beef -- If you use that really thin ABS stuff, it melts quite early.
    I'm going to try some of the thinner stuff once the weather warms up. In my trials with the various thicknesses of easily available drain pipe, I found that I needed to apply a lot of heat for a fairly long period of time before I got the pipe to react like rubber. I found that if I tried to heat it up too quickly, it would scorch. Actually, I melted a jacket standing in front of my heat source & it didn't bother the pipe - a good testament to the heat resistance of ABS is the radiator fan shroud, it's certainly mounted in a hotter place than I'd place an air intake.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,398
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by 89_Jeeper View Post
    oh ok coooooooooooool, i wonder if i could get that rubber bushing u have on the thottle body to fit on my stock 4.2L carb ?? there isnt as much of a lip as the throttle bodies i noticed sooo
    You should measure the OD on the carb & if there isn't something available from the plumbing lines, a bushing that would fit could be fabricated fairly easily - it just takes a bit of time. The throttle body OD is around 2 3/4", if it was much larger, I would have used a 3" to 3" rubber coupling and fabricated an insert for the throttle body end to keep it air tight.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    thessalon
    Posts
    314
    Time Online: 1 Wk 23 Hrs 54 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    Rep Power
    10
    the rubber couplings he used are called FERNCO's and are available in all sizes
    from 1 -1/2 to 4X5" and bushings to get anywhere between, if its heat anyone is worried about, the gov. regulations changed and now all furnace venting must be done with a new "ABS" pipe that is much more durable to heat, its white expensive and thick, so i dont think it would bend. but the elbows alfons used looks good and im sure wont decrease flow to bad.
    anyway its just my .02

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,398
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by kylesYJ View Post
    the rubber couplings he used are called FERNCO's and are available in all sizes
    from 1 -1/2 to 4X5" and bushings to get anywhere between, if its heat anyone is worried about, the gov. regulations changed and now all furnace venting must be done with a new "ABS" pipe that is much more durable to heat, its white expensive and thick, so i dont think it would bend. but the elbows alfons used looks good and im sure wont decrease flow to bad.
    anyway its just my .02
    Places like the Home Depot carry a limited selection of sizes of those bushings, where would I find a supplier that has a larger selection?

    I shaved all pipes and couplings and chamfered them to fit together for smooth walls internally (I just needed to wipe the joints on the inside for a smooth finish), so there should be very little surface effect inside the pipe to slow down the air flow. If you do this, the connections set up real quick, so it's important to mark the angles properly so that you get it right the first time.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mildmay
    Posts
    1,927
    Time Online: 4 Days 17 Hrs 42 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 23 Secs
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
    You should measure the OD on the carb & if there isn't something available from the plumbing lines, a bushing that would fit could be fabricated fairly easily - it just takes a bit of time. The throttle body OD is around 2 3/4", if it was much larger, I would have used a 3" to 3" rubber coupling and fabricated an insert for the throttle body end to keep it air tight.
    yea, the OD of my carb is roughly the same as the throttle body, as i can fit a rubber hose intake from a fuelie jeep on the top of my carb all tho there isnt much for it to hold on to with tho is the only problem...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,398
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by 89_Jeeper View Post
    yea, the OD of my carb is roughly the same as the throttle body, as i can fit a rubber hose intake from a fuelie jeep on the top of my carb all tho there isnt much for it to hold on to with tho is the only problem...
    You don't need much, as long as there's room for a hose clamp - post a pic of the carb if you have one.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mildmay
    Posts
    1,927
    Time Online: 4 Days 17 Hrs 42 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 23 Secs
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
    You don't need much, as long as there's room for a hose clamp - post a pic of the carb if you have one.
    naw, aint got one handy right now.... all tho i will grab one for you 2morrow when im putting my new diff covers on

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Orangeville
    Posts
    1,998
    Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 2 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    Rep Power
    13
    What you need is the Silicone joiners that the rice shops use on intakes....

    Not sure where you can get them thou... They are the best because they are silicone, high heat, and you can clamp them to stuff...


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •