Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Tire Carriers post here

Hybrid View

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Custom Tire Carriers post here

I know there have been a lot of threads about tire carriers but they have all been about the latch or the hinge, simple problems really. I am in the process of building mine and am looking for original ideas. Have you done something special in your build, mounted your high lift where no-one else has, worked in storage that only you know about? If you have built a tire carrier your proud of please post here.

One thing I am specifically looking for is ideas on how to mount the tire itself, instead of lug nuts. I have seen what I call the big wing nut but nothing anyone has built. I like the idea but not sure how it would lock.

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 27 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    with the big wing nut, you could drill a hole in the shaft/bolt that the nut threads on to, and put a pad-lock through the hole to prevent un-threading
    CRAIG-3D CAD junkie-IMAX Screen designer

-97 ZJ #2 LTD...built,flogged & flopped all in a matter of 7 days..redefining luxury wheelin! 97 ZJ Laredo, hand built, abused, and jumped off a 12' snowbank... RIP

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    amo can storage

gas can

hinge, 1.25 cold rolled bar for a pin and 1.75 o.d. x .250 wall tube.

I also have a cargo rack that fits into the top of the carrier.
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 27 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    all clever ideas...what you keep in that ammo can? Im thinking of mounting mine on the rear bumper/chop tonneau for a bolt bucket. Stole the idea from Curt...never know when you need a random ass bolt for a greasy trail fix

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    tray with a 1" lip and tie down strap and welded links from a chain. simple and effective.

For some reason my simple builds always turn complex. I have put so much time into getting my bumper built I may as well make a cool tire carrier as well. I'll post pics when I'm done. I have a large ammo box I am going to hang over the back of the jeep, removable when not wheeling. Still deciding on where I want the high lift.

I saw a tire carrier in a parking lot with a very cool way of mounting the tire. it had a piece of tube that fit the inner diameter and a winged bolt that held the tire in 2 places. He also had a locking mechanism but by the time I got back with my camera he had left. It was the best looking design I've seen but I can't remember how the lock worked. The tube was tapered and angled so that putting the tire on would be really easy, no messing around lining anything up.

I like the idea of that pin you have Chris. Being supported top and bottom would add a lot of strength. Have you had any problems with it being metal on metal?

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 54 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    Kid,

you could always make a big single pin ala knockoff, and have a few washers in there, and a f-off big nut, with tabs mounted on it, to secure the tire to the pin. I'm mounting my tire on the trailer hitch with an upside down re-inforced trailer fender, and a big bolt to hold it in place, and a hole so I can cable lock it to the post holding the bolt. That way I won't get so muddy when I change tires.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 31 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 14 Secs
    Here's an original idea, compliments of JK's very own Morpheus:
    http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=65491
    Newmarket Swamper

OF4WD Member # 5246

I like Morpheus' build. I think I will have my tire on the bumper but that is a cool look.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 43 Secs
    I plan on doing the same as macka, some zerk fitting top and bottom to keep it full of grease with prevent binding.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

My Mood
    Angry
    Time Online: 12 Hrs 43 Mins 37 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    Hey Chris, no problems with lateral movement on the upright? Even with the weight of the tire? I wqs going to build mine more like a warn(triangle), but it was going to use space where my jack could have gone.
    read 'em and weep, the Dead Mans hand again!

This is a really nice one from Pirate. I want mine to be an air tank but that winch design is pretty cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winch Bumper.jpg  

I am not a big fan of having bumpers that air compressed air storage. If they are compromised in an accident, they will go ker-fuking-bang.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 16 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by macka View Post
    I am not a big fan of having bumpers that air compressed air storage. If they are compromised in an accident, they will go ker-fuking-bang.
    compressed air in a 1/4" wall tube is not a bomb. If compromised it will make a loud hissing discharge and nothing more. 120psi will not make schrapnel (sp?) out of 1/4" steel

Quote Originally Posted by loosecannon View Post
    compressed air in a 1/4" wall tube is not a bomb. If compromised it will make a loud hissing discharge and nothing more. 120psi will not make schrapnel (sp?) out of 1/4" steel
    I've seen 60PSI pressure welded vessels explode and scatter shrapnel when they get hit. Your idea of a loud hiss is wrong. Think of a paper bag when you pop it. Steel tubing does the same thing, except it can fragment, and when that happens, you can get into a bad situation for bystanders. I don't know if kid has a pressure ticket, but unless he is that good odds are an endcap will go flying. That is bad, especially if someone gets hit with it.

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by macka View Post
    I've seen 60PSI pressure welded vessels explode and scatter shrapnel when they get hit. Your idea of a loud hiss is wrong. Think of a paper bag when you pop it. Steel tubing does the same thing, except it can fragment, and when that happens, you can get into a bad situation for bystanders. I don't know if kid has a pressure ticket, but unless he is that good odds are an endcap will go flying. That is bad, especially if someone gets hit with it.
    It takes more than just pressure to shred steel. Yes maybe a weak weld can splinter off, or if a piece of metal is patched over a hole it could come off.
    Best case for a piece of shrapnel = a bumper end cap with weak welds will pop off when the bumper is hit or dropped onto a rock.

But in order for metal to fragment you require more then 120psi of pressure... much much more.

For a bumper/air tank to fragment, it would require more pressure than any common compressor could provide. I would worry more about the crap on the inside of the tank (weld dust/splatter) on the off chance I was close to it when it ruptured more than 'shrapnel' flying from it.

As stated 120psi -vs- 1/4" (heck 3/16") isn't enough to cause it to fragment. If your welds are good, they will be the weak point and they may crack causing the air to release rapidly, in which case cover your eyes (if your close and looking at it) while crap flies from inside (dust/splatter again) In fact the weaker your welds the less likely to 'fragment' the bumper is. A strong weld will allow more pressure to build, which in turn will provide a better chance of a shrapnel hazard. Either way it won't fragment the way people are worrying it might.

If you are capable of good welds, build your air tank bumper worry free. If you suck at welding, find someone to weld it for you.
    Last edited by beakie; 01-07-2008 at 09:13 PM.
    insert something witty here

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 50 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Not an issue of a bumper air tank exploding, the result is a bang but not threatening in the least.
    Bring back the Cherokee http://www.petitiononline.com/Cherokee/petition.html

say what you want about my wife, leave my jeeps out of it.
    93 HO, 4.5" skyjacker lift, taurus fan, H4 lights, champion 8000lbs winch, custom home made front bumper, rear hitch, 136 amp alternator, 5-90's full mains set replacement with main fuse. High idle on switch, rear cargo area full extension drawer cabinet. Dual Batteries, Sanden oba and removable doors.V8 ZJ tie rod replacement with OTK insert.

I do somewhat agree with Macka, a lot of potential energy there... However it is handy on the trail. When I have onboard air I will probably only keep it charged when wheeling. Until then I will probably take the risk.

Time Online: 5 Days 19 Hrs 2 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Secs
    thats a good point 120psi isnt very much
    love my 2.5