Thread: Have clunking and vibration

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Day 13 Hrs 58 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs

Have clunking and vibration

Replaced lower ball joint and CV shaft in a 93 Caravan. When driving now, it vibrate's and clunks. Reason for replacing those parts is cause the lower ball joint broke, and the CV shaft pulled out of the transmission. This was all on the driver's side. Any idea's about what's happaning now? Yes, it drove fine before this!
    An offensive term for a white farm hand in the southern U.S, especially one regarded as uneducated or aggressively prejudiced...

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    You didn't mention if your "new" CV shaft is new or used. If it was a used shaft it might be a bad one. Only thing I can think of at the moment that would give you the clunk / vibration situation.
    Jermac
    O.F.4.W.D. #5199 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

did the drive shaft snap all the way back into the trans?? i know its a dumb question but ya gotta start somewhere. does it clunk worse when you turn corners"??

My Mood
    Stressed
    It was a new shaft, and it snaped in and locked into the transmission. When the old one pulled out it over extended each joint ripping the boots. I measured the shaft, and mounted the counter balance weight and put that on the new shaft and it got better. When turning left the clunking gets worse, and the vibration goes away. When turning right the clunking goes away and the vibration gets worse. When driving straight (forwards or backwards) the clunking and vibration are there. I called a buddy of mine, and he thinks it might be the output shaft barring in the transmission that got damaged when the shaft pulled out of the transmission. Any other advice?

id think that if it were a bearing you would hear a noise relitave to the speed at which you are driving, if it changes when you steer id have to say that its in your cv joints because the shaft does not change position when you turn only the cv joint does right.... i might jack the van up just so the tire is a couple inches off the ground put a long bar under the tire and lift up slightly and see if you can find any play.....

My Mood
    Stressed
    the whole shaft bounces when i run it on a set of jack stands. had it at a trans shop today and they said its in the spider gears have to rebuild the cairrer 500 to 700 bucks

ouch!!! could you not replace the assy. cheaper from the wreckers cheaper in yer laneway??? or ask if it could be done cheaper like that at the shop?