Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new bumper (work in progress)

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

My new bumper (work in progress)

hey guys,

just cut up the steel and tacked the just of the bumper together today. took me about 5 hours of work so far, since everything didn't fit up the greatest, and since this is my first one. I'm a better welder then I am a fitter lol. anyways, as you see in the pic, its just tacked, and hopefully this week some time I will get to bending my bull bar to go over my winch, I've got to fab up a plate for the front for my roller fairlead. and some shackle mounts on the front. I'm going to tig all the seams you see there, and grind them down, real nice and smooth, and then the last thing to do will be either just sandblast it, and put a couple coats of paint, or I'm also goign to look into powder coating it. haven't found a place around here to do it yet, but I'm sure there is one somewhere.

as it stands now, I don't really have any bracing in the back, I should have taken a picture of the back, but any suggestions on how to brace inside the bumper just to stiffen it up, since it's goign to wanna twist with the winch on there and all that. I dunno.

tell me what you guys think.

thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bumper_001.JPG   Bumper_002.JPG   Bumper_003.JPG  
    99 Jeep Tj Sport

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 11 Secs
    thats nice work, btw. I would put vertical gussets inside, then box in the rear and burn it in real good and it should be good n strong. dont forget d ring tabs that run all the way through.
    CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!
    DINGA DING DANG, MY DANGA LONG LING LONG
    OF4WD#5576
    BOOYAH!!!

My Mood
    Devilish
    Time Online: 1 Wk 11 Hrs 13 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 36 Secs
    Here are my thoughts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bumper.jpg  
    "You want that bolt loosened or can I break it?"
    Pit Boyz Rock'n it OLDSCHOOL

Organizer of the KING OF THE SHIELD http://kingoftheshield.com/ Teaser Video
    SUPPORT LOCAL EVENTS, COME OUT AND COMPETE WITH YOUR RIG!

Time Online: 5 Days 19 Hrs 2 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Secs
    looks cool man, x2 on the gussets, and box whatever you can. looks like your gonna be welding for a while haha are you just going to weld some nuts on the underside for the winch bolts?
    love my 2.5

My Mood
    Devilish
    keep in mind that winches bolt in from the bottom. ^^

thanks guys, I'll keep you posted on what's going on, and pics and stuff if you want.

ya, it's gonna take a while to tig all those seems, but I'm just gonna take my time, want it to turn out nice. thanks, ya, my dad was saying to box in what I can, and I go ahead and cut some gussets, and get those in there whereever I can.

Time Online: 5 Days 4 Hrs 45 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 25 Secs
    what thickness metal did you use? and what did you use to cut it looks like you did a really good job.
    Longarms, spool, 38s, and car seat. The coolest way to get to daycare

well, I was goign to use 3/16 aluminum. you have no idea how light it would have been lol. if my dad was around today to help me tack, I would have used it, but instead I used 3/16 mild steel.

oh and how I cut it. when I'm not working out in the field as a millwright, I work in a welding shop as a welder, so we have all the stuff you need to pretty much do whatever I want, it's pretty convienient that's forsure. I cut all the steel up on the shear at work.

btw, I'll be building this bumper, and a rear bumper with swing out arm. if there is an interest, I would be willing to build some extra's if anybody is interested in buying them.

anyways, I'll keep up posts in regards to the progress of this bumper, and if anybody is interested, just let me know. thanks.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    Weight? I hope you have some spring spacers to level it back out.
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

Time Online: 5 Days 12 Hrs 52 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 27 Secs
    Lookin good. Should be mint once done. Could prob sell a few if you wanted.
    1998 Chevy K-1500

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 48 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 45 Secs
    Nice, all i gotta say is don't grind the welds. Some nice painted tigs.
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Time Online: 2 Days 2 Hrs 29 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    That looks great, Matt. Superlifts seem to always ride higher in the front so the extra weight will help.

LC.
    So I installed the flux capacitor but the Jeep just won't do 88 mph.

- '97 TJ, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance

- '99 WJ Limited 4.7, 2" RC BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess

Time Online: 12 Hrs 38 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    You may want to consider bolting the winch on before you even mount the bumper. It's pretty tight in there with the front cross member and brake line running accross on the front. I have tried to unbolt my winch from mine and have had no success and have had to take the whole bumper off to do so. If you plate in the back the way you have it shown that will hold mud and water, you may want to consider drain holes, or some shapely plate accross the back so you are not fully welding the bottom accross the whole way... just passing thoughts... looks good.
    Last edited by highonlifeandglue; 02-06-2008 at 10:38 AM.
    Pete
    -'04 TJ-

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 1 Min 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    looks good....

I for one would be interested in a rear bumper/carrier if the design and price is right...keep us posted
    OF4WD 5435
    2dr - 2010 - Rubicon
    Cake bakers united

Quote Originally Posted by highonlifeandglue View Post
    You may want to consider bolting the winch on before you even mount the bumper. It's pretty tight in there with the front cross member and brake line running accross on the front. I have tried to unbolt my winch from mine and have had no success and have had to take the whole bumper off to do so. If you plate in the back the way you have it shown that will hold mud and water, you may want to consider drain holes, or some shapely plate accross the back so you are not fully welding the bottom accross the whole way... just passing thoughts... looks good.
    ya good idea, I'll have to figure out something, so the bumper doesn't fill with mud, we do more mud around here then rock, and it's not gonna take long for that to happen. lol, thanks for the input.......... back to the drawing board.

chris, and bam bam, please read this post.

bam bam, I was wondering how I am goign to get those gussets in my bumper when I have that piece of pipe running from one frame rail to the other frame rail in the front. Unless it is safe to take that off, I'll have to make the gussets more into a "C" shape to fit around the cross member.

Chris / loco, see what's he talking about, remember the other day we were talking abuot that line running across the back of the stock bumper, pretty sure now that is a brake line.

and as for the guy who had interest in a rear bumper with swing out, when I am done this, I will be designing that rear bumper, so we'll see what I do, not quite sure yet. I really like the look of ARB's rear bumper with swing out, so I was thinking abuot working off that, but I dunno. never know.

as for the tig welds on the front of the bumper, I think I am goign to grind those all nice and smooth, I like that look better. it shouldn't make too much difference, because I put random stitches all over the place, on the inside of the bumper. and everything is tacked corner to corner, so there should be plenty of penetration for me to grind them basically flush. I just like the way everything looks like it's 1 piece. we'll see though. I shuold go work on it now.. kinda lazy today though lol.
    Last edited by streetslicks; 02-06-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Time Online: 2 Days 2 Hrs 29 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by streetslicks View Post
    ...Chris / loco, see what's he talking about, remember the other day we were talking abuot that line running across the back of the stock bumper, pretty sure now that is a brake line...

Haha, yeah, last Sunday I saw it on mine when we were putting the winch on. Never knew it was there. If I recall right it was on the back side of the crossmember, so shouldn't it be out of the way?

LC.

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 54 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    streetslicks,

use a flap wheel to clean down the welds, it takes a little longer but its so much prettier when your done. I like the 80 grit on the 4.5" grinder for that kind of work.
    OF4WD Member #5196

Time Online: 12 Hrs 38 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    The brake line is on the rear of the cross member, but it is there none the less.

You could move the gussets to just the outside of the frame rails to get the same effect. You could probably get away with out the gussets, depending on your locations for the d-rings mounts. I would also consider using all 6 of the nut inserts the four on top of the frame and also the two on the bottom (but I assume most would do that anyway). This would help to alleviate the need for the gussets inside the bumper between the frame rails. But if you wanted to get fancy you could have the gussets cut to fit around the crossmember in like a 'c' shape lie you mentioned.

When I did mine I made the top plate/winch mount large enough that it also tied into the sway bar mounting holes so it has the extra strength of 4 more bolts holding it to the frame.
    Last edited by highonlifeandglue; 02-06-2008 at 03:59 PM.

My Mood
    Devilish
    ^^ I agree

Dude. Ill bring the Fj over and show you how it drains and how the boxes are. Looks good btw. I may get you do do a rear one for me.
    85 CJ-7, 350ci, 350 turbo, B&M shifter, Edelbrock carb, K&N filter, springover + adda a leaf, 5"body lift, Rancho shocks, 38"x12.5" TSL's, CB, 9500Lb winch, Lincoln Lockers front & rear, Toyota axles

2007 Fj Cruiser, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Rear Locker, K&N intake, Borla exhaust, Cobra CB w/ Bandi mount, AllPro skids, AllPro Swaybar liknk, Expedition One front bumper w/ Piaa 510 ion Fogs and 12000 LB Titan Winch, JL Audio speaker upgrade, Pinstripes c/o Jeep trails