Thread: whats the difference between tranny

Time Online: 1 Wk 23 Hrs 54 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs

whats the difference between tranny

yep, i need to know how to tell trannys apart, the guy said it wsa outt of a cherokee, couldnt tell me much more, I may be in the market for one and this is a screaming deal i would rather not pass up only if its the AX-15
    someone posted pics on here on all the different models, If I could get that or directed to that I would appreciate it, I tried the search but i honestly couldnt find it,

thanks Kyle

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    6 cyl 5 speed jeeps are AX-15's from about 89-02

4 cyl of the same years are AX-5's and are not compadiable.

Say what year and model of jeep do you have?

Time Online: 1 Wk 23 Hrs 54 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    i hvae a 92, but am not sure what the cherokee was that the guy had a trans for,

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    i got an 89 with the BA10 Peugeot, i can tell you that the check/fill plug is on the drivers side and drain plug is on the lower front under the bell housing. I'm certain that the AX plugs are located in different spots, i.e... passenger side and under the case. hope that helps

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    You have an AX-15 with an internal slave a 23 spline output and a 3/4 inch input. Any '92 heep 5 gear from any model will be the same so long as it is a 6-cyl

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Here's what Novak has to say about identifying an AX-15...

Identification
    "The 4wd version of the AX15 transmission case is 16-1/2" long. It features a cast aluminum case with a cast-aluminum mid-plate. The case is generously ribbed and features the shifter in the rear quarter of the assembly. In the vein of newer transmissions, the AX15 uses dowel pins for bellhousing alignment.

The 4wd version of the Jeep AX15 has a 23 spline output shaft for connecting to the transfer case input shaft. This shaft protrudes about 1/2" past the rear face of the transmission.

The AX15 was used with an internal slave/throwout assembly up through the 1993 model year. In 1994, a more conventional slave cylinder and cross-arm were used. The input shaft is a 10 spline x 1-1/8" and its stickout length is 7-1/2".

1988 to 1991 AX15 input shafts have a smaller (~19/32") pilot tip. 1992-1999 AX15's have a larger (~3/4") pilot tip.

The AX15 looks similar to the AX5 and are they are occasionally confused in identification as well as interchange."

Here's a link to the site, it has piccies! http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ax15.htm

AFAIK the BA-10 is easily identified by it's case. It bolts together lengthwise, in what's known as a 'clamshell' casing. Here's what Novak has to say about identifying it...

Identification
    "The BA10 as found in Jeeps is 16-7/8" long. It's case is split longitudinally down the center. Its case and tailhousing are made of cast aluminum and its shift control is located in the rear portion of the transmission. Its bellhousing mounting face has five mounting studs and two dowel pins for alignment.

In terms of identification numbers, it may have a "SIMI" and "3.283..." cast into the front and side of the case."

Here's a link, also with piccies! http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ba10_5.htm

Take this identification guide & their advice with a big old grain of salt. According to Novak, the BA-10 only came with the 4.2 in-line six in Jeep products, and we all know it came with the 4.0 in-line six as well. The most useful aspects are the piccies.

HTH!

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

Time Online: 1 Day 13 Hrs 23 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    They're on the nose for the most part. Easiest way to tell an AX-15 from a Pukehole 10 is the case split. The BA-10 is down the middle and has an oddball fill-hole. You need to either buy a dealer ratchet peiece or file down a 3/8 drive rachet to get it out. The AX-15 is exactly what they say up there. With Exceptoin.

1989 XJ's got AX-15's midyear. Build dates of April 89 and later have AX-15's

Time Online: 4 Days 1 Hr 24 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Secs
    oh transmissions...I thought you had questions about transvestites the slang is trannies..damn why did they steal that one