Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titan Compressor on a tank

Time Online: 5 Hrs 21 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs

Titan Compressor on a tank

hey folks not a major build but a little project that I am in the process of working on...

first I had an old compressor that I recieved in which the motor and compressor were cooked, mostly I wanted it for the tank.

I recently purchased a Titan compressor from Duncan by which I was impressed, so I decided to increase its capabilities by adding a tank (keep in mind this was my own personal tank and may vary from those that may be sold by Duncan in the future)

I stripped the old stuff off the tank and cleaned it up and painted it yellow to match the black and yellow colour scheme I have decided upon for the xj.

I cut a peice of plate steel to mount on top of the tank...
    I did this for two reasons

1) I needed a larger surface area to mount the Titan compressor
    2) I wanted to add an ammo can for all of my small things, such as adaptors, tire deflators and so fourth.

Here are some pics of the partially finished product.

I am waiting to see if Duncan can obtain a few adaptors
    and I still have to add the ammo can.

This will be mounted in the rear of the xj

I also have a pressure switch mounted on the tank that has a DC rating and will check to see if it works ..... if not ..... I'll contact Duncan to see if he can get those too, but we'll see how the one I have works.

KLemme know what you guys think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the girls and compressor 044.jpg   the girls and compressor 045.jpg   the girls and compressor 046.jpg  
    PITBOYZ WILD CHILD
    PITBOYZ BRAMPTON CHAPTER (PB4L)
    OF4WD member # 2543

www.Pitboyz.ca

TEAM MOTIVE MEDIA

God made all people..... and Smith and Wessen made them equal.

Time Online: 1 Day 14 Hrs 17 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    looking good man... how big is it? how many gallons and actual size?
    PIT BOYZ - PB4L OF4WD # 4898 www.of4wd.com
    WHEN IN DOUBT... GO FULL OUT!
    1985 K1500. SBC, 700r4, 44 front, 14b rear 4:56 40" TSL's
    Drinks Well With Others!... WELL WITH MOST!
    PB4L

Gallons I don't know exactly
    but the tank is approx 24 in long and 10 in wide(straight across)

so what ever that calculates to be

I can post exact measurments this evening

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 2 Mins 50 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by TUGGER View Post
    I also have a pressure switch mounted on the tank that has a DC rating

Hahaha... Nice.

It's looking good Tugger, very nice setup, should be nice and compact, moveable from vehicle to vehicle, or take it out for more space. I'm VERY interested to see how it performs with tools and tire fills..
    ----------------------
    Justin
    2012 Subaru WRX STi
    1996 Dodge RAM 1500
    2009 CAN-AM Outlander 650 MAX XT

LugNutz is offline President of Post Whore Guild
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 16 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 9 Secs
    Looking good Major, looks like you left enough room for a second compressor if you need to. The tank label is a nice touch
    You never truly know your limits until you exceed them....

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 11 Hrs 29 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 21 Secs
    I have been playing around with some set ups as far as times etc and start up under pressure for the 3/4hp twin head.
    So far i have hooked it up to a 21/2 gallon ( I think ) tank the water extinquisher size is 19" long by 7" wide this is a little bigger than the tanks i want for the OBA but it at least gives me something to go on as far as the capabilities . 0- 50psi is 25 seconds 0- 150psi is 2min .
    It has been to cold outside for any extended testing but i did do one side of the TJ ( 2 tyres ) from 10psi to 30psi in real time as while i was going to the next tyre the compressor was still running filling the reservoir tank it took 4minutes which saved i minute per 2 tyres without the tank. ( when i tested it without the tank it was 2.30 mins per tyre).http://

http://

I like the top you have on the tank and it would be nice to know how long it takes to fill up that size. I would think you could nearly do two tyres without the compressor running
    Last edited by duncan; 02-12-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Once I get it all connected I will give it a test for you, taking a break from it for the weekend as my hands are sore. May try and see what I can find for adaptors today and see what I can come up with.

Like I said the tank is a fair size, but my theory was to fill the tank while on the trail and shut the compressor off, when done wheeling air up the tires and fill the tank as required lightens upthe load on the compressor I would think. Plus I can have reserve air for short bursts of an air tool if needed.

mostly for tires and the kids inflatable tubes for the snow hills and the lakes in summer

So are you going to put a regulator on your output and run the tank at high pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by grinthock View Post
    So are you going to put a regulator on your output and run the tank at high pressure?
    I have a reg from another compressor I may do it, the output shown was what was on the tank but i was going to change it to the output with a regulator that I have, just to help with the air tools

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Days 15 Hrs 27 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 14 Secs
    looking very nice man...I like it and it would match my YJ perfect
    S.S.O.
    OF4WD

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Very cool...

Tugger, that's some nice, clean fab work. The edges on the plate steel and paint work look like it's a factory piece! I really like what I've seen with the Titan Twin, (as I like to call it) and will eventually be picking one up someday. This makes me wish I had money burning a hole in my pocket.

Very inspiring. I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out!

PS: Take care of your hands. Infection can easily set in when dealing with dry, cracked skin & mechanical/fab work. Cutting tools, vibration, dirt & paint can do a number on your mitts. (I know, I have eczema and have gotten lectured by my Dermatologist. )

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    Looks good and clean. Personally I like to incorperate my tanks into bumpers and rockers. I have had tanks in the hatch area before, but I like to keep the things that can be relocated to areas that already dead space.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKMotorsports View Post
    Looks good and clean. Personally I like to incorperate my tanks into bumpers and rockers. I have had tanks in the hatch area before, but I like to keep the things that can be relocated to areas that already dead space.
    I had the idea of doing that many years ago when a friend in BC did it with his roll bar, I thought it was a neat use of space and I have seen it done in bumpers as well, honestly I'v never thought of it since you just mentioned it.
    Thanks for adding another potential project lol.

I'm gonna stick with this it seems adequate enough for my needs and the XJ interior is big enough for it

Ya, I've just used my XJ for trail access camping and full out campimg trip when all interior space execpt for front seats is used for Bear Proof Storage.

But yet, nice setup. Way to do something clean and not JeepDIY Slice her and Weld her Style.

LugNutz is offline President of Post Whore Guild
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 16 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 9 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by JKMotorsports View Post
    Way to do something clean and not JeepDIY Slice her and Weld her Style.
    Give him time, he's still got a set of 33's to fit on

so I spent a couple of hours lollygagging with the compressor today......

To begin

I added an air restrictor to the outlet, I'm hoping it acts as a regulator as it allows me to reduce the PSI exiting the outlet.

I added the ammo can to hold the bits and peices as well as pressure guage and tire deflators.

I added the hose from the compressor to the tank....as may be visible I attached the hose to the tank via some hose clamps, this allows me to use the original hose that came with the compressor (in the event the tank fails).

I also had to reinforce the upper plate that the compressor and ammo can are attched to because as the compressor got its rythym going it vibrate to much, so I added 4 selftapping teck screws to it.

Its not much but its kept me busy.

Here are a few more pics that I added
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails compressor 001.jpg   compressor 002.jpg   compressor 003.jpg   compressor 004.jpg  

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Day 20 Hrs 2 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 34 Secs
    Nice job Tugger. It is looking really nice. It will be interesting to see how long the tank takes to fill and how many tires you can do before the compressor starts up.
    2003 TJ Sahara. Custom Longarm Lift, 39.5" IROKs, tube fenders and body armor, Custom Roll cage, Warn 9.5 XP winch....

http://99.247.125.98/%7Epaulpoolsaar.../Pbfender4.jpg

that's clean work Tugger... Very pro looking, looking forward to performance numbers.

Are you planning to put an adjustable output on it?

Thanks guys

Justin I added an "air restrictor" to the outlet good up to 150 psi, I was kinda hoping it would act as a regulator of sorts, if it doesn't pan out I will be coughing up for a regulator.

It should be installed during next week sometime as my brother has now removed his rig from the shop I can pull mine in and do some small things to it, IE the compressor, cd player, locker, yadda yadda yadda so hoping to get some numbers up by next weekend for you guys

Man, I have 25-30 regulators at work the we removed from machinery as they are obsolete now. I you only lived closer you would have to cough up for one.