Thread: 93 Lumina APV 3.8 Q's

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 54 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs

93 Lumina APV 3.8 Q's

I have a lumina apv 3.8 engine that needs a head gasket. Has anyone done this job? Do I need to drop the motor? What should I look for (other then warped heads)? Do I need any special tools? Is the head gasket kit complete or is it typical cheby and has no exhaust gaskets? Any help would be appreciated.
    OF4WD Member #5196

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Wish I could help more, but all I do know is that any engine work will be a serious PITA. My parents owned an APV, and my my brother & I dreaded hearing the words, "there's something wrong with the van..."

We never took on a project of this magnitude, but I think that in order to get a good shot at getting to all of the bolts on the firewall side cylinder head you may need to drop the engine. Unless there's a secret door behind the mile-long dash, there's very little room to get at anything on that side with normal tools (tools you'll have vs what a dealership might have.) Definitely look for warpage, and I'd also check to make sure there hasn't been any pitting of the cylinder walls. (Happened to a friend of mine, but he had a Toyota.)

There's a small access point at the back of the engine, where the firewall side exhaust pokes out and under the van. You can remove some of the heat shields and possibly unbolt the exhaust to get at things, but IIRC it's not much to work with.

Sorry I can't help you more.

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

OK thanks for that info, I have a feeling this is going to be fun. I was kinda hoping it would have a doghouse like a regular van has, but I guess I'm S.O.L. I guess I'm going to be having some fun .

Time Online: 6 Days 10 Hrs 27 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 31 Secs
    I have replaced a few engines in the dustbuster vans ,actually simple job,just unbolt the cradle and drop the motor and tranny on the ground .Which head is leaking ?you might get lucky and only have to do the front one,which I am sure can be done with the engine in place .

front

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    if your just doin the front head (closest to the rad) then no need to pull it out. what is the problem? leaks or no comprssion? the front head was notorious for burning valves and loss of compression. you would get a slight psst psst noise in the exhaust! depending on whos van it is ive actually done these heads without even taking off the intake, kinda butcher-ish, but if done properly wont hurt anything..
    just having good times wheelin with buddies...cheers!!!

no club! no affiliation...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    Or if it's the rear head take out the dogbone mounts and yank the engine forward. 6 hours and running

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 13 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs
    no need to pull the motor just pull it foward with a ratchet strap
    rockin the 95 xj custom 4inch lift and 285/75/16 bfg mud terrain km2 and bds discos R.I.P

98 xj 4.0L 5spd 4.5" zone lift and m/t sidebiters looking for 33s