Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champion Winch install (pics)

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs

Champion Winch install (pics)

So Valentines day brought me a Champion 8000 winch. Let's not break out the "it's a POS" threads , she bought it for me and that's cool, so it's going on the 'Runner.

I started by removing the bumper and grill;

And decided the only mounting location with the "universal" plate was directly on the ends of the frame horns. Toyota has put 4 very heavy threaded nuts on the inside of the frame here for HD accessories, 2 M10s and 2 M12s. Given that the factory recovery hooks use only 2 M10's, I felt these will be strong enough.

I cut off the excess rail protruding past the crossbar with a 4" air cutoff wheel.

And ground them clean;

I mocked up the mount, and found the corners of the mounting plate would need to be trimmed to clear the body mounts;

Continued....
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

... continued!

With the corners trimmed, used a piece of cardboard to make a template of where the mounting holes needed to be drilled. I then transfered those marks to the mount plate, cutting only the two inner holes first, then checking that the outers would line up with the template. Measure twice, drill once

With all the mount holes done, it was a simple procedure to bolt the plate to the frame;

Clearance for the solenoid pack was acheved by removing the non-functional condenser fan (wire corroded away long ago), and the vertical hood latch support. Hood pins will likely be installed as a safety measure. The mount is very secure. Two of us (~400lbs combined) could stand on it with no deflection.

It was here that I discovered I had forgotten the installation hardware at home, and I was late for a Daytona party anyway, so I bolted the bumper back up for the drive home.

Total time today was ~ 2 hours. I will trim the bumper and valance to the correct shape of the Champ winch on Tuesday. I'm a little disappointed by the loss of approach angle, so a replacement bumper that mounts my winch higher is already being planned.
    Last edited by Noltz; 02-17-2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Duplicate picture

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 48 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    looks good man as long as your take care of the winch and dont do any REALLY hard pulls inless you have to it will last a long time worry free..

Also i saw you on saturday i think hahah at highway 5 and guelph line

Cheers!

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    I would rethink that mounting FAST!!!!! What breaks a Winch let alone a Champion faster is the flex on the mounting base. That setup will twist and snap your drum or 4 mounting points on a simple pull.

FYI My 8000lb is mount to a 1/4" plate that is welded to 2x 2x2 1/4 wall tubing. My bolt go through it all and I have dragged my XJ 2-3feet forward with me on the breaks trying to pull our sunken ForkLift out at work. Still works mint. I pull it apart and grease reqularly too.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKMotorsports View Post
    I would rethink that mounting FAST!!!!! What breaks a Winch let alone a Champion faster is the flex on the mounting base. That setup will twist and snap your drum or 4 mounting points on a simple pull.
    JK,
    I was sitting in front of the truck thinking how the twisting forces would be applied to that plate for exactly that reason, and I'm glad I wasn't over-analyzing it. Another tech suggested running 2 pieces of 2x2 box tubing along the bottom of the frame rails - utilizing 4 MORE heavy mount holes Toyota put in there - and weld the tubes to the bottom of the plate. This will provide rigidity to the plate and additional points for the pulling stress to be distributed along the frame.

When I got the bumper back on, however, I was not happy with the loss of approach angle. I've posted a query in the fabricators forum to have a proper bumper built for me to relocate the unit higher. If nothing pans out, I will definitely add additional tube to the bottom as you suggested.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 8 Secs
    I just went back and took a long hard look at my toy build pics and the only thing i can come up with that would form a sturdy and structurally sound base for a winch would require some welding, ill see if i can draw it up, i know u went through the frame horns but from what i remember they were like 18 guage steel no?

i like yer idea though
    Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain

Yer hot, wet, and extremely satisfying. You always put a smile on my face and yer the first thing i want in my mouth when i wake up....aaaaaahhhhhh Coffee, my only friend.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    Good to hear. Last think I think you want is the GF mad because you broke her gift. Exact reason why the wife will buy me tools, but not car/jeep parts.

The frame horns are pretty stout. Adding the 2x2 bar & additional mount points would double it's rigidity and cut the stress on the bolts in half. These would be very easy to fabricate, if the winch stays in it's current location. Welding is not a problem... we have a nice 220V Mig in the shop, but fabrication tools are very limited. No brake, tube bender, chop saw....
    Last edited by Noltz; 02-17-2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: ...add'nl info...

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 8 Secs
    this is just a quick drawing, and would cause you to modify yer bumper, but would better your approach angle and give more structure to the winch base, but im just tossin out idea's here thats all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails noltz.jpg  

Yep, I get yir idea there. Would raise the unit about 3" higher than it is now, and the fab would be fairly simple.

The 2x2 idea is illustrated here. Welds along the yellow, green represents the bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reinforced.JPG  

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Days 15 Hrs 27 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 14 Secs
    looking good Noltz. Are ya adding the tubes on the top or bottom? I'm thinking top...
    I'd add some weld to the tube at the vehicle side or did I miss that. If possible try to raise the winch out as much as possible so you're not hitting it on everything and it's not it the water...as much
    Last edited by Stix&stones; 02-18-2008 at 12:48 AM. Reason: can't work new laptop
    S.S.O.
    OF4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks&stones View Post
    looking good Noltz. Are ya adding the tubes on the top or bottom? I'm thinking top...
    I'd add some weld to the tube at the vehicle side or did I miss that. If possible try to raise the winch out as much as possible so you're not hitting it on everything and it's not it the water...as much
    Hey SS,
    The tubes would attach to the bottom of the plate, and continue under the frame rails of the truck, to tie the two together with more than 4 bolts. As a bonus, the tubes would prevent flexing of the ¼" plate that the winch mounts to. As JKM stated above, flexing is the #1 enemy of a winch, so it must be avoided.

Your suggestion to raise the winch was addressed earlier also. I'd like to raise the whole unit aproximately 12-15" w/a custom bumper, if someone can fab it for me (paid, of course). A related thread is in the Fabricators forum. I do not have a tube bender, and I don't wanna make it out of square/rectangular stock.
    Last edited by Noltz; 02-18-2008 at 01:41 AM. Reason: ...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 11 Secs
    if you get all the pieces cut, I'll burn it in when we do your rockers.
    CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!
    DINGA DING DANG, MY DANGA LONG LING LONG
    OF4WD#5576
    BOOYAH!!!

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 22 Hrs 48 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 54 Secs
    Heres how I did mine , I added the tube after I built the mounting plate. Used 1/4" plate and some 4x4 1/4" angle to build the mount. Used the 4 bumper bracket bolts and built upper mounts off the top of the frame for 2 additional 1/2" grade 8 bolts that goe through the face of the mount. Easy to build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 003.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy YJ View Post
    if you get all the pieces cut, I'll burn it in when we do your rockers.
    Thanks Dave. Nobody's up to building a whole bumper yet ...

Quote Originally Posted by M357.5 View Post
    Heres how I did mine , I added the tube after I built the mounting plate. Used 1/4" plate and some 4x4 1/4" angle to build the mount. Used the 4 bumper bracket bolts and built upper mounts off the top of the frame for 2 additional 1/2" grade 8 bolts that goe through the face of the mount. Easy to build.
    Excellent idea! Nice and simple to fabricate. It looks like you completely wrapped the front of the frame, or just the face and top?

Heres a pic of the back side , just caps the front + bottom of the frame. The front face is a few inches higher than the frame rails and thats where the upper bolts go through to attatch it to the upper brackets welded to the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0001.JPG  

How long did it take you to build that? Would you be interested in building another? It's precisely what I'm looking for, less the stinger bar. I see how you have the additional plate along the bottom to slide under the frame horns. Is that for a skid plate? I don't see any brackets to use the lower (factory recovery bracket) bolt holes...?
    Last edited by Noltz; 02-18-2008 at 04:10 PM.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 50 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    My Champion is a top mounter, with hardened bolts, nuts welded on under the bumper. Now that 1/4" mounting plate you have is bolted to the bumper with 6-8 hardened bolts and then the 4 hardened bolts through the winch itself, mounting plate, and 3/8" bumper. Used it on a couple of hard pulls but nothing yet that would require the snatch block. Winch didn't even grunt. I too took the cover off and covered the grounding cables and other attachments in the cover with dylectric grease.
    Bring back the Cherokee http://www.petitiononline.com/Cherokee/petition.html

say what you want about my wife, leave my jeeps out of it.
    93 HO, 4.5" skyjacker lift, taurus fan, H4 lights, champion 8000lbs winch, custom home made front bumper, rear hitch, 136 amp alternator, 5-90's full mains set replacement with main fuse. High idle on switch, rear cargo area full extension drawer cabinet. Dual Batteries, Sanden oba and removable doors.V8 ZJ tie rod replacement with OTK insert.

Ah, how simple that install looks . I think you stole that bumper off a 1890 Locomotive though. 5/8" of plate should be enough for a 8000 lb winch!

Its hard to see in the pic , but there are 4 holes ( 2 per side ) in the angle iron that use the factory tow point bolts. The winch mount itself was an hour or 2 , tube work was another couple hours then finish welding and paint etc.

I'd build another , but it wont be for awhile ( busy with the buggy...chassis will likely be 80 hours plus )