Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Champion Winch install (pics)

Time Online: 46 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    M357.5 that looks better than an Aftermarket, maybe you should start your own business

Do you have design drawings we could use to make one for Noltz?
    Last edited by king_gogan; 02-18-2008 at 09:21 PM.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 50 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    Ah, how simple that install looks . I think you stole that bumper off a 1890 Locomotive though. 5/8" of plate should be enough for a 8000 lb winch!

Lol, I hear ya Noltz, actually it's a chunk of angle iron I got free from work, it was used on the loading docks to bump up to. Not the easiest stuff to work with but solid. I still have a chunk there thats 20' long for the rear with my name on it, just need a hi ho to get it home.
    Bring back the Cherokee http://www.petitiononline.com/Cherokee/petition.html

say what you want about my wife, leave my jeeps out of it.
    93 HO, 4.5" skyjacker lift, taurus fan, H4 lights, champion 8000lbs winch, custom home made front bumper, rear hitch, 136 amp alternator, 5-90's full mains set replacement with main fuse. High idle on switch, rear cargo area full extension drawer cabinet. Dual Batteries, Sanden oba and removable doors.V8 ZJ tie rod replacement with OTK insert.

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Days 15 Hrs 27 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 14 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    Hey SS,
    The tubes would attach to the bottom of the plate, and continue under the frame rails of the truck, to tie the two together with more than 4 bolts. As a bonus, the tubes would prevent flexing of the ¼" plate that the winch mounts to. As JKM stated above, flexing is the #1 enemy of a winch, so it must be avoided.

Your suggestion to raise the winch was addressed earlier also. I'd like to raise the whole unit aproximately 12-15" w/a custom bumper, if someone can fab it for me (paid, of course). A related thread is in the Fabricators forum. I do not have a tube bender, and I don't wanna make it out of square/rectangular stock.
    Hey Noltz...I apologize if what I said came across wrong...I wasn't trying to knock what you are doing in any way. I was just thinking if you could mount the tubes on the top you wouldn't lose any more clearance and still prevent flex...you may just need to add a couple of gussets to attach the tube to.
    I hope the customer bumper works out for you...thats definitely the best way to go...good luck and I'm sure you will find someone to help you out. If not and you want a heavier piece of bent plate to mount your winch let me know I might be able to find some around at work...you would just need to drill your own holes.
    S.S.O.
    OF4WD

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks&stones View Post
    Hey Noltz...I apologize if what I said came across wrong...I wasn't trying to knock what you are doing in any way. I was just thinking if you could mount the tubes on the top you wouldn't lose any more clearance and still prevent flex...you may just need to add a couple of gussets to attach the tube to.
    I hope the customer bumper works out for you...thats definitely the best way to go...good luck and I'm sure you will find someone to help you out. If not and you want a heavier piece of bent plate to mount your winch let me know I might be able to find some around at work...you would just need to drill your own holes.
    Uh, nope! I completely understood what you were suggesting... good ideas! Gogan is currently looking for a piece of 4" angle iron for me to build off of, and ChevyYJ is deep in thought of how to extend the frame rails forward, to mount it YJ style . I'll keep the thread updated.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 1 Day 19 Hrs 48 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs
    Noltz, I was thinking of getting some kind of tube winch bumper for my runner. I liked m357.5's design, minus the stinger(no offence m357.5) If you find some one to build it, I would be willing to pay to have a 2nd one made if they have the time/materials ect....
    1988 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ62 Beige 4DR/V6, Auto/33" BFG A/T's
    1990 Toyota 4runner SR5 Black 4 DR/3.0L V6, Manual/31's/6" Skyjacker/Welded Rear/
    2001 Chevy Silverado LS Ext Cab 4X4 Pewter/265/75/16 BFG A/T's KO
    1991 Chevy Tracker Tintop Brown 2DR/1.6L 4cyl Auto/31" SuperSwampers

Back Again !!

Sorry for the delay folks . It's still not 100% done, but it onboard and functional.

I didn't like the loss of approach angle when installed as I had shown earlier. I know there's going to be compromise when adding a winch, but as I've learned there are better ways. And given that we're quite slow in the shop, there's not a lot of extra cash floating around, so I decided to go ahead with what I had.

Getting back to 'er;

Pulled the front off again, measured up a piece of box tube I had.

And made it into a solid perch on the front of the frame rails.

Trim, trim away...

to be continued...
    Last edited by Noltz; 02-25-2008 at 12:11 AM.

Told ya I'd be back

Mark for winch plate bolts...

Assemble and mount to truck! This is that whole "do it upside down" thing that's in the assembly manual. And very helpful to have two friends near by.

90% tightened. I had to cut a socket down to fit my air ratchet down the box tube. I did cut an access hole for the middle bolt, then forgot to tighten it before I mounted the winch. ! It's gotta come off again one more time though for more bracing.

As I took it home last night (shop closed.. had to go!)

Forgot my camera to the shop today, but the work is pretty self explanitory;

Trimmed the bumper to fit around the winch assembly, nice and tight. I also trimmed away underneath the bumper on the driver side for easy access to the remote plug. Attached my plate and tested my connections. Ignore the wrench in the cable... I forgot my hook !

So, I'll still have to brace it up some more, but I think it'll do until I can afford the time or money to get a proper, full on bumper built. Once braced, I'm quite confident it'll be a welcome addition to my onboard gear.

Last edited by Noltz; 02-25-2008 at 12:14 AM. Reason: One more picture

Time Online: 1 Day 1 Hr 37 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    Looks pretty sweet!
    Good Job!
    OF4WD# 5253
    1989 Islander YJ SOLD
    1997 TJ Sahara 35s, Warn 8000, Jet Chip, Flexilite Fan, 6 inchs of lift. blahSOLD!
    1999 Ford F-150 4X4

02 Polaris Sportsman 700
    RDC lift, RDC Relocate , blah, blah, and blah.

good job man, she looks tough and mean now.

Time Online: 1 Day 43 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    man that looks nice and clean tucked away into the bumper. good job man

Final update for this project, I think.

Took it off, cleaned where I was welding

Started burning. Seamed the perch to the winch plate, then added gussets. I haven't welded for about 7 years, so some of it is kinda bad .

Since it was still warm, I cleaned it down and shot some flat black at it.

Back on, wires attached.

And I finally put the hook on.

Thanks for everyones help!!

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Days 15 Hrs 27 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 14 Secs
    Hey Notlz...
    I'm sure you have put a lot of time and effort into mounting your winch...so please don't take what I am about to say personally or the wrong way. This is just my personal option and observation...you can take it or leave it...the choice is yours...and I could be wrong

These channel mounts are made to have a substantial structural support (i.e. the vehicles frame or heavy duty bumper), fully under them that will resist all the forces, that the winch is going to apply to it. The way you were talking about extending the frame rails and mounting it YJ style (if it was done right) could have achieved that.

The way you have supported the channel mount, there is a good chance something will fail and someone could get seriously hurt. Now even with the bracing added it could be dicey. I know you said in one of your posts this was a temporary solution, until you build or have a bumper built for you, I still think that would be your better and safer solution.

You could still use what you have for “looks” but I would not use it for recovery. In the 12 years or so I have worked in the structural steel industry, I have had the unfortunate opportunity to see what happens when things are under engineered and failure occues...believe me it’s not pretty…so if nothing else have a look at what you have and think about it.

It's the internet... I take nothing personally

I appreciate all suggestions on how to build something better. That's part of what makes this hobby so great - everyone wants to help the next guy. I did and still do want a full bumper built for the truck. I've got a couple things working against me to mod this thing: It's my DD, it's our slow season (lack of $$$), and I can't disable my truck for more than 2 hours at a time (CT lets me use a bay, but I can't live in it ).

The unit is really quite strong on it's own - I just need to find a better way to tie it to the frame. ChevyYJ is a professional welder and we've been talking about that very problem. In the mean time, if I do need to use it, I'll be sure to use the snatch block and put at least half the load back down to the tow hooks.

Time Online: 6 Hrs 10 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    I can't say anything about the structual integrity or the strenght, as my knowledge in that field is poor.
    However, I realy like the aesthetics of it!
    Good job!
    BEST4X4XFAR
    2002 Range Rover 4.6HSE Borrego Edition - Adventure Package, Dual Exhaust...
    1999 Volvo V70 R AWD- .:Ti Silver/Black:. SportsWagon
    1990 Land Rover Range Rover 3.9L V8- .:SandGlow Yellow:. Modded - Trail Rig-SOLD
    "Public Roads-Gov't Waste"
    1991 BMW M5- .:Black/Black:.Modded - Autobahn Machine-SOLD

Noltz, you see the bush bar on the front of my truck (avitar photo). Could I mount a winch to that(if somesort of mounting plate was fabbed)? would it be strong enough?

I'd say no. That's the factory bush bar, attached by 4 bolts in the bottom of the frame. Not designed at all to handle stress - it's purely aesthetic. I've got the same bush bar for my old 3'rd Gen.