Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: XJ budget Hack

Time Online: 20 Hrs 15 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    thanks for the reply sticky!
    where`d you purchase your tire groover?
    I dont like to "shop" online, and like the whole cash in hand sceneario, ya know?
    cheers!

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 19 Hrs 17 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 7 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNavigator View Post
    thanks for the reply sticky!
    where`d you purchase your tire groover?
    I dont like to "shop" online, and like the whole cash in hand sceneario, ya know?
    cheers!
    Yeah, I totally understand, but I bit the bullet and ordered off the net via a quick phone call. Do a search on "Ideal heated Knives" with the pages from Canada only box selected. The place was in Quebec that I got it from for 90 bucks to my door. There could be a better deal somewhere. Sorry can't remeber the name of the supplier.
    1991 Xj Gone to a new home.
    1948 willys Jeep pickup sitting and waiting.
    1984 toyota currently beating & building.

OF4WD #6069

A tree jumped in front of me when my front tires were off the ground. Totally not fair as I couldn't steer! The stock bumpers are just tin and did'nt stop much. Had to straighten out the fender & rad support and replace the beasls/markers.
    So, decided to make a bumper too. Wanted to use the stock mounts/hooks to mount off of. Pretty basic design, but I like how it looks so far. I used 1/8" thick 2" by 5" square stock. Just notched for the kinks. The recovery points were 3/8" thick, but decided to gusset w/ 1/4" making them 5/8". Not done yet with bracing, and I know 1/8 is a little thin, but it's not to heavy yet. I gonna have to put better coils in anyways, so I don't know why i care. It will get much heavier buy the time I'm done. The pics show the progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bumpie 001.jpg   bumpie 002.jpg   bumpie 004.jpg   bumpie 005.jpg   bumpie 006.jpg  

Time Online: 6 Days 14 Hrs 36 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    That's looking good man. That tubing will take at least one really good wallop and that's the main goal. Going to heavy would create more problems than it solves.
    Nice work!
    Tim
    '98 XJ 2dr. 3" and 33" ATs --His--
    '99 XJ 4dr. 3" and 31 AT's --Hers--
    '72 J4000 --Ours?--

It's all good.

Oops. double click
    Tim
    Last edited by TNC; 11-25-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: double post

Thx Tim!

I'm thinkin bout bracing from the tow hook area to the bottom edge/sides of tube. For strength at the corners where I tend to bump the most, and a sheet of aluminum for the front on an angle down to the front crossmember. Mostly to protect Tranny lines and stop large debris entering the holes to the engine.

Been lazy as ever. Welded in another gusset/beefer to the tow points after reading up on the physics of vehicle recovery. 7/8" thick now, instead of 5/8. Need to pick up my loaner tube bender to finish it off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jan 09 007.jpg  

Bought a cheap 8000 pound winch, so I ended up cutting up the new bump just after I painted it. Wanted the winch a little lower (2") then the bottom of the grill to help with air flow to the rad. Also, it helps center the pulling force in the body/frame.
    It sits back, in the grill about an inch to help with the approach angle. Thats one thing I hate about putting a winch on the front of an Xj; it eats the approach angle up. I tried my best to tuck it back without hacking the cross member up.
    May throw a hoop on it some day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jeepbump 001.jpg   jeepbump 002.jpg  

A had a little whieght gain issue with the new bump/winch setup. It sagged about 2" leaving me with about 1" lift over stock. So, I bought a set of V8 Zj springs. They were less lift then what was in there, so I bought another set of used, 3" Skyjacker coils(supposidly), and they did nothing also.
    I'm on a budget theme here, and decided to put my original Zj 4.0l coils back in, and add more spacers. Spot the budget hack styles! My cutting board is smaller now LOL. It's back to around 3-3.5" lift in the front with around 150-200 extra pounds of bumper/winch. It's got a total 4" of spacer, and Zj aftermarket coils. Thanks Tom for helping me hack it up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jeepbump 003.jpg   jeepbump 004.jpg  

Time Online: 22 Hrs 46 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    haha, np dude, this is amazing

stickyken,
    I hadn't been around for a dog's age here. Good to see your bumper come together. Looks good. Got some final pics?
    Tim

A stump caught my rear bumper on Green's so I made up a new rear bumper. It was kind of a quickie design, but it has ALOT more clearance then the stocker.

I cut the stock hitch off, and used it's mount for the lower skid part of it. The hitch reciver is more of a recovery point then for towing now since it's 4-5" higher. I warped the main tube burning in the reciver. DOH!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 026.jpg   027.jpg   001.JPG  

Time Online: 13 Hrs 32 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    nice build

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Wks 17 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 49 Secs

love it... budget hack is the shit!!!

2 words... TITS :confused:

/pressu

Thanks for the props.

My brakes decided to bitch out on me. The Gen 1 ABS systym in these early XJs is terriable, and down right scary. There is an electric vacum pump in place of a normal vacum diapham type booster. This pump runs both the ABS, and the power brakes. It stopped pumping, and I lost power brakes.
    Before it quit I would loose my brakes completely for moments on steep climbs/decents due to the fluid starving design of the reservoir. Jeep has a lifetime recall/warrenty on the system for good reason.

Just finished ripping out the old braking sytem, and put in a booster/master/pressure block(or whatever that thing is called) from a 93 xj.

....And a new waterpump, and dummy pulley that were on there way out.

I noticed last night my wood spacers are not holding up so well. One split, and half of it is gone. Was kinda a joke, but surprised they lasted 3 good wheeling trips.

Not much to take pictures of, but may snap a few of the windsheild frame repair im working on. The rust is bad enough that feet get wet when driving in the rain.

Done some maintanice to the heep. Planning on it being my main mode of trans. this summer. I figure thats why I have it right?
    The list that has been done.

-replaced the upper control arm bushings w/ poly style bushings.
    -new rear drums,pads, and adjusters.
    -Cold air intake/snokel re-vamp.
    -real 4-inch Rancho lift coils in the front.
    -newer stock tape deck that works.
    -4 used Dick Cepek Mud country tires, 4.25 Back spaced rims. Repainted and fake beadlock bolts removed.
    -Carpet removel, and floor repaired.
    -New inner axle seals in the front Dana30.
    -Fixed the rear axle seals with a little black RTV.
    -Change the oil, and used a zinc additive.

Just finishing up the floor work now. It is super smooth on the highway now compared to the Swampers. The tires don't stick out at all now, so the cops will be happy. It's gonna be nice having Auto trans., Keyless entry, and AC in my DD now. The 4" springs make it sit like it was before I had the winch, and bumper on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Insurance Jeep 005.jpg  

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Looks good!

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027