Thread: Rattle and Finish on a New Tire Carrier

Time Online: 5 Days 8 Hrs 22 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Secs

Rattle and Finish on a New Tire Carrier

So I'm just about done my new tire carrier except for these 2 problems.

the rattle is caused because i think there must have been a peice of metal in one of the tubes before i closed it up. so now i need a way to stop it from rattling; i was thinking about drilling a few small holes and just loading it full of spray foam. any other ideas?

also looking for input on what kind of finish i should do. I dont really want to just paint it cuz ill be doing too many touchups, so i was thinking maybe rockerguard or truckbed liner ??? what have you used and how did it turn out?

thanks
    Just do it until it breaks, then fix it and try again.

Durham4x4
    President

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 1 Min 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    I was thinking the exact same thing for your rattle problem, fill it up with spray foam. As for the finnish, whatever you put on is going to get chipped eventually so I would go with whatever is easiest to touch up.
    OF4WD 5435
    2dr - 2010 - Rubicon
    Cake bakers united

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 43 Secs
    Etching Primer, with tremclad and a tiny bit of hardener. Truckbed liner will will still rust through if you use the CrappyTire Spray on stuff.

As for foam, ya, but do it right, Bumper make good air tanks for OBA systems, cut the cap and re-weld it, or drill a hole into it, tip it so slide the metal over the hole and plug weld it.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    As soon as you said "rattle" and "closed up", spray foam popped. It's the way to go if you're not using it as an air tank.

Primer and tremclad for finish - you know it'll get dinged up anyway
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 6 Secs
    spray foam sux monkey penis, its more surface area to collect moisture, yes moisture, even if its sealed.

drill a hole in an easy to reach spot, use a strong magnet to find the rattling piece and drag it to the hole, grab yer welder and weld the rattle at the hole, then proceed to weld the hole up.
    Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain

Yer hot, wet, and extremely satisfying. You always put a smile on my face and yer the first thing i want in my mouth when i wake up....aaaaaahhhhhh Coffee, my only friend.

Time Online: 4 Days 17 Hrs 42 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 23 Secs
    ya i'd agree with mayhem, have seen local guys do that to there frame thinking it will solve the rotting out problems, but it gets worse eventually...even if there was a tiny bit of moisture in the spray foam itself it WILL rot, maybe not right away but give it time....

would hate to see ya using the bumper when pulling someone out and ur bumper tears in half or pulls the tow point outta the bumper cuz it was rotted out...

cut her open and get her out !
    I Like My Women Like I Like My Jeeps..... Wet And Dirty!!
    89 YJ Islander 4.2L, SOA d30/d44 lock rite locker, tj shafts/297 u joints, 35x16x15 boggers, custom wrap bar, 15x10 american racing rims, AA SYE, Warn 8274, custom front/rear bumper, fog lights, teraflex high steer, 1 ton tie rods ends, 40 series flowmaster, leather xj power seats - SOLD!!
    81 camaro, TH350, 468BBC - SOLD!!

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    drill a hole in the bottom ,pump a bit of silicone.should stick like flys on ....

Time Online: 5 Days 8 Hrs 22 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Secs
    thanks for the tips guys some good points about the foam made.

Just FYI the rattle is in the carrier arms not the bumper so air is not even really an option in there without some creative tubing at least

Time Online: 2 Hrs 27 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    You can hear the rattle from your bumper??? Just get bigger tires and drive with the top down, you won't hear it again.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 8 Secs
    Can I suggest Line-X? The Cambridge Line-X dealer did a professional job applying their Line-x (spray on bed liner) in my interior, roll cage, side step/rocker guards, rear bumper and swing out tire carrier. They even sprayed a nice section to replace my door kick plates. I'm really glad I had it done. The stuff seems bullet proof. They guarantee their work for life, so worries from now on.

They said that they'd be happy to give any off roader who I send over there a discount. Tell them Andre sent you. I can send some pics if you'd like to see it on my Jeep.

Ask for Dan, or Dave. 519-621-0858. You won't regret it.
    82' CJ 7 with a few upgrades

Time Online: 6 Hrs 8 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by mayheminc View Post
    spray foam sux monkey penis, its more surface area to collect moisture, yes moisture, even if its sealed.

drill a hole in an easy to reach spot, use a strong magnet to find the rattling piece and drag it to the hole, grab yer welder and weld the rattle at the hole, then proceed to weld the hole up.
    I totally agree with mayham. I would just make a good thick oil grease concoction an spay it in there. The piece of metal will still move around but you wont here it and the carrier will never rust out from the bottom because it will be filled with grease.