Thread: my 78 CJ5 needs a little work

Time Online: 6 Hrs 57 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs

my 78 CJ5 needs a little work

Hey Iíve had a 78 CJ5 sitting around for WAY too long now. Has anyone here done a frame up rebuild (thatís really a rhetorical question) on one? YJ, CJ, whatever close enough. Iím looking for some hands-on advice. Iím not really interested in more internet searching and forum browsing, so this is a shout-out to anyone who has done this before and wouldnít mind spending an hour or three in the near future taking a look at my pile of parts with me, shoot the shit, and have some free beer, pizza, whatever. No, you donít have to bring free beer for me, Iíll supply that. Due to budgetary constraints I cant feed a group of 20. Itíd be sweet if you could bring your CJ out too maybe itíll give me some inspiration. Or if you donít want to come out to uxbridge, Iíd still be interested in checking out your restored CJ and shooting the shit anywhere around the GTA.

Hereís a pic from over a year ago.. now the entire front end is removed as well. Just driveline, engine and frame and axels are left on this rolling chassis!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jeep 33.jpg  

Time Online: 1 Day 18 Hrs 34 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Secs
    what kind of condition is the frame and tub?? It would depend on how far you want to go?

Time Online: 6 Hrs 57 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    the frame i spent some time rebuilding the back end. welded up 2"x2" steel rectangular sections and used 3/16" - 1/4" steel plate to reinforce joints. just when i thought i was all done i found more at the front of the frame around the engine, and i lost momentum there. but its gotta be done! and after i do that i guess i'll send the frame to get sandblasted and por-15'd, or maybe do that myself, who knows.

i bought an steel tub but it turns out it fits 74ish CJ5's. outer dimensions are all i checked and they match but got it home and the mounts don't. I could fab up something to relocate the tub mounts so it fits my 78 frame, but since then I found a fiberglass tub and front clip that i figure i'll use instead.

i saw tonkatrunk is selling a CJ7 frame for pretty cheap so i've been contemplating using his frame and chopping it down to size, instead of screwing around with my frame any more!