Thread: 8.8 install jeep zj

Time Online: 1 Day 1 Hr 11 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs

8.8 install jeep zj

Picked up the 8.8 3.73 LSD out of a 98 explorer about a month ago. Stripped factory brackets off preped for install. Was searching the net for a axle bracket set up for the 8.8 and ran across M.O.R.E www.mountainoffroad.com which had a kit for a TJ little different then the ZJ but with a little mod will work fine. Stopped by http://www.jeepmansoffroad.com here in hamilton to see about getting the bracket kit install. After talking to Alex about the kit i wanted to install he hand one there, to my surprize so i picked it up. So with everything needed for the 8.8 install i headed out to find a flange or ujoint to use the factory drive shaft. Next day i started the swap 11am pulled the Dana 35 out and set up my jig to take measurement's for lca,uca,spring pad's,shock mounts. Now time has come to set everything up on the 8.8 find centre and start marking out the mounting spot's. Very time consuming so don't be in a hurry take your time. I set the pinion angle @ 10 degrees and mount's @ 0 degrees for my lift setup. After all setup i started tacking everything in there proper spot's. Going back over all measurements to make sure everything is correct started weld everything solid. Finish welding at 10:30pm then started to reinstall axle under the jeep got the UCA&LCA mounted. Went to attach the track bar come to find out it was now to short so i cut it and lengthened it to work till i pick up an ajustable one. Next Installed spring's and spacers setting the weight down on them to hold them in place i attacked the shock's. Everthing was coming along great till i pick the jeep back up to check for binding an the spring's poped out :-(. Looking closer to see what was the cause of it i found i mounted the shock mount's higher then on the 35 so the shock is over extending by this time it was 1:30 am. So i was burned out i had my factory shock on hand so i put them on till i relocated the shock mount's lower. Next day 9 am I started making up brake line's and hooked up E brake's, ajusted the control arm's for proper drive shaft angle slapped the tire's back on took for test drive worked great. Very Happy with the swap next weekend i will fix the shock mount's. Here is a short clip and a few pic's. Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsJaL4aNtlU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8.8 install 024.JPG   8.8 install 033.JPG   8.8 install 037.JPG   8.8 install 042.JPG   8.8 install 046.JPG  

www.youtube.com/user/Badger5656
    www.cardomain.com/ride/3069834/Badger5656
    95 ZJ 5.2L
    Performance ecm, Full Flow Master super 40, 8" Clayton Front Longarm, HD Clayton Pitman Arm, HD Clayton Track Bar, eagle aloys 15x8's, 34x12.50R15LT trxus mt , Front bumper Titan 12000 Winch, Rear Bumper, 8.8 Rear Axle

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 41 Secs
    just a few questions for ya.

First off how much for the 8.8? if ya don't mind, as around here they are gold plated and go for $800... seriously.

Did you, or will you be welding the tubes to the pumpkin?

Do you plan on putting any kind of truss on it? I guess if you've already got all this it may be difficult, just wondering if there would be any benefit as you see it?

Looks pretty good, nice to see what one can do when they have the right tools and know how. Hope I can fly through an axle swap in a day or two if/when I get a good welder, oh and some skills.
    insert something witty here

Quote Originally Posted by beakie View Post
    just a few questions for ya.

First off how much for the 8.8? if ya don't mind, as around here they are gold plated and go for $800... seriously.

Did you, or will you be welding the tubes to the pumpkin?

Do you plan on putting any kind of truss on it? I guess if you've already got all this it may be difficult, just wondering if there would be any benefit as you see it?

Looks pretty good, nice to see what one can do when they have the right tools and know how. Hope I can fly through an axle swap in a day or two if/when I get a good welder, oh and some skills.
    I picked it up at a U pull for 2 bill's looked for some time to find one i wanted.

I did weld the tube's but not all the way around. I don't think i have the need since i'am not running big rubber or horse power as of now.

As for a truss when i go longarm then both front and rear will be trussed and tri linked. I think the benefit of a truss would be for extreme rock crawling or not keeping all wheels on the ground. My self i like mud so i'am not worried about twisting or bending the axle.

As for skill it's like anything if u got the cash to pay some shop to do it for u that is fine., U will not no learn how things work so u alway's be paying someone to fix it. But i took the time and did my research to see how other's have done it. Wouldn't have been able to do it but my boss is a good guy and give me free run of the shop and tool's. Cheers

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 5 Days 25 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Secs
    and we have just the trail to try it out in
    what can i say i got I got a jeep body and a jeep frame ,the rest is ford,chevy

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 9 Hrs 24 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 2 Secs
    Lookin good

Did you put the circlular spring retainer thing on the spring pad

Mine doesn't have them, but good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Reverage View Post
    Lookin good

Did you put the circlular spring retainer thing on the spring pad

Mine doesn't have them, but good idea
    I did figured it needed something there to help hold the spring from moving around.

Quote Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
    and we have just the trail to try it out in

Lol Scob i no u do i be out soon. Cheer's

Fixed shock mount's today an extended spring retainers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shock fix an flexing 006.JPG   Shock fix an flexing 008.JPG   Shock fix an flexing 016.JPG   Shock fix an flexing 009.JPG  

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    Just be careful. 8.8's are know for their thin axle tubes and tearing mount off of them.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.