Thread: Stolen TDI rant

Time Online: 21 Hrs 40 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

Stolen TDI rant

This doesnít fit anywhere else on the site. This is the daily driver forum and I just lost mine. It was a 1999 VW Jetta TDI and it was stolen from out front of my house last week. I had bought it from a co-worker two years ago. Being a TDI it was just broken in at a little more than 200K on the odometer. One owner vehicle and clean inside and out. I still think $4500.00 was a hell of a deal. Sure the fuel pump went on it and ran me well over a grand to fix but thatís just what maintenance costs with any car or truck. I didnít have any grand plans for it other than stretching each tank of diesel to about 800K. I only had to fill it every month or so.

So now Iím waiting the two week period for the Cops to find it. The Insurance Company wonít even give me an estimate of what it is worth until then. Iíll have to sign over the ownership and on the odd chance they do find it afterwards I can only buy it back at auction. There is the trouble of having to file a second claim on my house insurance for the contents. (kid seats, jackets, sunglasses, cdís and a list of stuff thatís only important to me) Itís the same as losing your wallet. You donít care about the money but the IDís and little things that are individual to you and are hard to replace.

I know Iíll never find another TDI for the same price. There is the one guy selling a í96 on here in The Used Car And Truck Lot. 407K are a few more miles than Iím willing to deal with. Iíve looked on AutoTrader and all I can find there are 2000 and 2002 TDIís that are starting at $7000.00 to $9000.00 I seriously doubt the Insurance Company is going to be that generous.

If anyone has a heads up on something similar I would truly appreciate it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jetta_tdi_2[1].jpg  
    Sold the YJ, but dumb enough to dream about getting an XJ.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Time Online: 1 Day 2 Hrs 49 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    Sorry to hear man.
    I want a Grand Wagoneer!!

03 Tracker LT - DD
    96 Talon TSI AWD - Jack Stand Queen That's Almost Running Again
    08 JK Unlimited Sahara - 2.5" BB, 33" BFGs (Hers)

Time Online: 18 Hrs 56 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    If you really dig your heels in and let the insurance company know what they are going for on Auto Trader they'll eventually give you a reasonable replacement value for your VW. Never take their first offer. Insurance companies will try to give you as little as possible. My inlaws had their base model cavalier written off in their driveway by a drunk and were offered $1600 at first. It took about a month of hanging up on the insurance dude to finally settle with $6500. Insurance didn't want to keep paying for the car rental.

Good Luck

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    As F2B said up there, don't accept their cheque if your not happy with the amount. You have proof that it had 200k from the MOT (sticker renewal, asked for mileage). Print out all the Auto Trader ads and give them to your agent (or fax to office if you deal directly). Your $40/day rental will add up quick.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 6 Hrs 8 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    They are totally right. Don't tell them what you paid for it. Search auto trader for similar vehicles and even go to the dmv to find out what the vehicle is listed at. Print everything, make it organized and present it to them and you will get a fair market value for it. Don't be greedy, but they will low ball you like crazy so be aware of the real value and you will get it. Also if you don't have any other prior claims try to get something in writing that will outline the future implications of your insurance policy and let them know you will cancel your policy if you are unhappy. Play hardball good luck.

Time Online: 1 Day 11 Hrs 30 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    My friend had one of these 390 xxx kms
    He told me he could get 1000 km to the tank...

He sold it for $$2000 I believe... like alot of ppl said already don't settle for less than what its worth........
    Wanting a jeep jk x

Member of Tri-City Jeep Club (well sorta... I need a jeep first )

O|||||||O

Time Online: 21 Hrs 40 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    Update:
    The Insurance Company has offered $6300.00 for my TDI. (Minus the $500.00 deductible) Not a bad offer but falls short when I look for something to replace it. I was looking on AutoTrader and the average price of a 1999 Jetta is $5900.00 None of them are Diesels. I believe my car was in above average condition with respectable mileage and $400.00 above average isn’t cutting it. They also ignored the $2000.00 worth of recent repair bills over the past year.

This leaves me having to file a dispute the Insurance Company. I now have to hire my own Appraiser and for him to go head to head and barter out a final deal. Apparently Insurance Companies don’t go back and forth with their final offer.

Does anyone know a reputable Appraiser? Once again I would appreciate any info you guys might have. Still looking for another TDI.

Time Online: 1 Day 11 Hrs 30 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    try generationdub.com and vwvortex.com my friend recently bought an 01 for 6000 I believe but it ain't a diesel it was a 1.8 t

Time Online: 1 Hr 45 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    when my VW was written off I said FIND ME ONE to replace because I did not like there offer .. will thay did the leg work and found me 3 ( way above what thay offered ) we settled on one .. and would you know it the guy sold it the day before ..

I got a lot better deal out of them ehn I made them find the SAME car in as good shape ( and yes I had the bills to prove upgrades thay will not cover main. , I lost out on band new tires .. cuz ' you had to replace them'

Good luck

if you have Pics of the car that will also help
    OF4WD member # 4799

Karolina's Border Collies
    www.Karolinabc.ca

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    Find another comparable Jetta at Volkswagen. Make sure it's roughly the same; TDI, mileage, condition, colour... Most used car lots have registered appraisers. Explain your situation and I'm sure they'll help you out in an attempt to sell the car.

The $2k in repairs, unfortunately, is yours to bite. That's vehicle maintenance costs, but it does go to show to the insurer that your vehicle was in above-average condition and you require the same of the new vehicle.

Stick to dealerships on this... even if you don't buy the final vehicle from them.

Time Online: 1 Day 15 Hrs 27 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Secs
    Volkswagen...he did you a favor