Thread: What welder to go with? Lincoln MIG-PAK 15/WELD PAK 175HD OR Hobart Handler 187?

Time Online: 10 Hrs 27 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs

What welder to go with? Lincoln MIG-PAK 15/WELD PAK 175HD OR Hobart Handler 187?

Can get a sweet deal on all 3 of these - new. Which one would you choose? Hobart is a couple hundred bucks more, all weld somewhere between 30 and 175amps. I don't weld alot but don't like to buy junk. I don't want to fork out close to $2000 for a Miller and I've heard that Miller isn't necessarily the best but I'm no expert. What about ESAB? Looking to spend no more than $1200.00 for a mig welder.... Thanks for any opinions....

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...t.aspx?p=61249 <-- weld pak 175hd

http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...ed/handler187/

Time Online: 4 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    i just got a lincoln 180 its was around 900 hun and its a sweet little welder. the mig pac 15 is a candian tire welder not sure , but i thought they dropped that model.
    xj with stuff

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 46 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 16 Secs
    my buddy has the lincon 180 from crappy tire. it goes on sale for $599. its fantastic. it'll do up to 180 amps, and you can get a spool gun and do aluminum. we made a snowplow for his 4 wheeler and welded 4 feet nonstop at full amperage, it didnt trip out. you do need to get gas its a night and day difference. it turns a good welder into a superstar.
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 2 Wks 7 Hrs 43 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 10 Secs

welder..

what are you planning on welding? i bought the MIG-PAK 15 from crappy tire last year. works great. for general fab. it more than met my expectations......
    it has been replaced with the 180, which is pretty much the same welder in a newer case. i would wait until it comes on sale at the ol' crappy tire......
    just an honest opinion........
    ITS ONLY WRONG IF YOU GET CAUGHT

I guess the MIG PAK 175 is from Home Depot.... goes for $699 regular price and I can get it for $500. I'll probably go with it just because I know I can get parts pretty easy and I've heard good stuff about them. Any other opinions??

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 46 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 16 Secs
    the mig pack175 is the replacement for the mig pack 15. the 180 is a new machine.

Time Online: 2 Days 11 Hrs 14 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Secs
    Hobart is now Miller and from experience that usually means that Hobart will become a lower end budget product and parts availability for older true Hobarts will become obsolete. Perhaps not in this case, but that's what often happens I've found.
    DONE with it!

Hodgi, would you say the Lincoln is a good machine? The Weld Pak 175 I mean.... it's the current one at the home depot....

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Time Online: 2 Days 11 Hrs 14 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Secs
    Ohyeah, the 175 and 180 are great. The wire feed mechanisms are all metal where some others are plastic and that's what makes them jam up. That's a damn good price too.

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 59 Secs
    I have used Rye_Guys lincoln and have a Millermatic 180. They both operate well, they do excel at different tasks and sizes. The Miller is a non- tapped machine which gives you much more fine tuning( if you have the ability properly tune it)

When purchasing my Miller- I compared Miller, Hobart, Lincoln( CTC and Weld shop versions) For my use Miller was the best machine. AS a side note, I paid $750 plus tax for the Miller--- same price as the Hobart. The weld shop Lincoln is around $850-900 for the "C" version. The "T" version is the same as the CTC version ( If someone tells you otherwise they are misinformed-- so buy the CTC version when it is on sale for $600( If someone tells you otherwise they are misinformed)

ESAB's lowest model is a level above all of these models--- didn't check the prices on it or evaluate it because it was out of my price range.

I can email you my spread sheet of the comparison if you'd like

Mike
    Last edited by Sidepipes; 05-22-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Time Online: 6 Days 15 Hrs 56 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    Lincoln welders sold through major retailers use a wide variety of names for the exact same machine. Weld-pack 175, Pro-Mig 175 etc. These are all exactly the same welder. This welder was replaced by the 180T and 180C.
    I bought my Lincoln 175 off ebay Brand spanking new for $420US, shipped to my door in Canada for $505 all said an done. If you are fine with Tapped voltace than the hobart 187 or lincoln 175,180T are both fine. I have always found that the only practical difference between Lincoln and Miller is colour. I have used a Hobart Handler 187 a few times. It has more voltage settings than my lincoln 175 but feels like it it doesn't make quite as much heat.

You can't really go wrong with any 175+ amp name brand machine. Buy the one the that is the best price, and take sometime to shop around.
    Prax Air wanted $950 for my welder when I bought it.
    Last edited by jonzer12; 05-22-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Time Online: 4 Hrs 3 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    I needed a robust welder to use in my business that remained somewhat portable. After a ton of research the MigPak 15 was the best bang for the buck by far. Mine has been in heavy use for the last 9 years without so much as a peep. I have done steel, ally and even scratch start TIG'ed with it with about $15 in parts.

My call would be Lincoln by a mile,
    The Sindakit is coming.....
    The SINDAKIT IS COMING MAN!!!!

It changes everything!!!!!

Time Online: 2 Days 1 Hr 17 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    I have a miller millermatic 180 with autoset. got it 1000 taxes in, and it is perfect. 5/16" thick single pass and a great range for all the suff I through at it. I would 100&#37; recomend it.
    Steve Rogers
    Crazy Bastard

Time Online: 2 Days 1 Hr 14 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    I bought a lincoln, had to buy one of the higher end ones because I wanted the infinate varibility on the dials. And I'm extremely glad I did too, makes it alot easier to fine tune the temp and wire speed to get the perfect bead and panetration.
    1998 TJ 2.5L LO- 4" RE/OME Lift, Bilstein shocks, 33" BFG KM2's, 8500lbs Superwinch, Front/Rear Warn Bumpers, LED tail lights, CJ Tailgate, superior axle seals, 4.56s, SOLID diff covers and Aussie locked front and rear & Taurus Electric Fan.
    Wheelin' Videos - http://www.youtube.com/thedude933
    Photography Available: www.ptpotter.com

Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 20 Hrs 15 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 52 Secs
    Chalk another one up for Lincoln. I've been very happy with my MigPak15 but I was talking with a fabricator on Friday who has lots of high end stuff but had nothing but praise for the MP15. He said he put 115 11Lb spools through it before it quit on him.

Over 1/2 a ton of wire .... trouble free , that's a helluva bang for the buck.

OF4WD member #5255

Looks like I'm going with the Lincoln Weld Pak. Picking it up Friday - thanks for all the advice guys!

My Mood
    Bored
    Time Online: 1 Day 17 Hrs 30 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Secs
    i have the 175hd and has been good.... built alot of stuff with it, very pleased for the price