Thread: First YJ Build!

Time Online: 1 Day 20 Hrs 1 Min 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs

First YJ Build!

Want to get some input on my build idea, this is mostly new to me, and could use the feedback. I want to keep this a DD (if needed to be) but would like it to be cabable offroad.

I have a 1990 YJ, 4 cyl, 5 speed. D30/35s with 4.10's (I believe) and bone stock. I have started taking the Interior out, I want to clean it up and will either HippoLine or Line-X the inside of the tub.

I plan on going with 33"s at this point, but am stuck on what lift to go with. I have it down to 2 choices and would like to see what everyone thinks.

#1) SUA with 3.5" BDS leafs and a 1" shackle giving me a total of 4.5"
    #2) SOA with stock leafs (flat) and shackles giving me a total of ~5.5"

Both lifts need the Steering and the SYE/CV issues addressed. Cost wise it should be cheaper for the SOA because of using the stock leafs and shackles (till i break them) right?

Is there any big advatage to one over the other? From what I understand the SOA gives you more flex and with flat springs it should ride a little better but is there anything I am missing??

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 42 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 47 Secs
    Is this jeep different from the 2 you are selling or are you keeping one now?

Time Online: 6 Hrs 8 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    I would suggest go with the 3.5 BDS. Lifetime warranty, and if you are keeping it as a DD it will give you a lot more control and will feel a lot closer to what you have. I think you can fit 33's under the 3.5 comfortably without the shackle lift (but check). I don't know about more flex with the soa. I imagine it would give you the exact same amount of flex as a stock, only you have the ability to fit larger tires without rubbing. Check with someone who has done it, but IMO Stock springs only flex as much as stock springs flex, it doesn't matter where they are. If the money is available I would go with the BDS.

Yes this is one of the ones I was selling, didnt get a whole lot of input on a package deal for everything I had so I am just going to go on and build them up.

I never thought about the SOA with Stock springs not flexing that much, can anyone confirm this? I like the BDS for the warranty on it. I think the 4-5" lift is the area i want for this Jeep and I want to compare the performance and ride on the 2 options.

I'm running SOA and have no complaints. If you want to go that way I can send you some detailed pics to help with the build.

What size leafs and tires are you running? Most of what I have read for SOA involves going 35" tires or more and I didnt know if it would be overkill for 33"s

Nevermind, I just read your sig and that pretty much answers my question lol. Did you try the SOA without the 2" leafs at all?

No, the extra leaf was installed when I got it. I could run 35's easily with no problems but chose to go with 33's because I locked the front and plan to lock the rear and thought it would be less risk of breaking axles on the 30/35.

I have a set of stronger axles on order and would consider selling the 33's and moving to 35's if you need a set of rubber. they are 33 12.5 15. 4 are brand new less than 3 tanks of gas and the spare is at about half tread.

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvTopless View Post
    .....Both lifts need the Steering and the SYE/CV issues addressed. Cost wise it should be cheaper for the SOA because of using the stock leafs and shackles (till i break them) right?

Is there any big advatage to one over the other? From what I understand the SOA gives you more flex and with flat springs it should ride a little better but is there anything I am missing??
    When addressing the SOA cost and performance, there's more to it than just putting the springs on the top side of the axle. The steering geometry needs close attention and adding hi-steer will increase the cost quite a bit. If you're looking for an easy "bolt-on" for 33" wheels, my preference would be a spring under lift kit, and as already mentioned, a 3.5" would probably do it, but I'd probably go for 4.5" and later on, if you want to go for a larger tire like a 35, you could add a 2" body lift.

I'm running SOA no high steer, no problems. And I drove it lots with no SYE, just a longer rear shaft. Front shaft was fine. It has a 1" Tcase drop which I'm removing now that I have the SYE and longer shafts. Oh ya and I have a drop pitman arm too.

BUT... I also agree with Alfons above. A kit and later a BL makes sence...

I appreciate the input, I know with the SOA that there are a lot of extras that have to be considered. I am using the money that I would spend on Leafs and Shackles as a total for all the extras that I would need for doing the SOA over the SUA.

I am more concerned with performance and ride quality, but with using stock leafs and shackles will I get the ability that a typical SOA would give or am I just fooling myself?

Time Online: 41 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    if you are going SOA the best thing to use is a set of old yj leafs as they flex like crazy. when you get into lift springs they are a whole lot stiffer and you lose that flex.

if you have the skills and equipment to do a soa then there is no question. that is the way to go!! because if you end up likeing wheeling you are going to end up with a SOA jeep anyways!

and in my oppinion 33's are the ideal tire for a SOA yj with stock drive train.

just my $.02
    95 yj on ford 60's, 4.3, 700R4, Flipped 300 and 38's

R.I.P. www.kanrok.com R.I.P.

Thats sort of what I had thought, well half of it at least lol. I was pretty sure you lost some flex with bigger springs due to the stiffness they hold, but wasn't sure what results the stock ones would give me. I agree about the 33"s being good with stock drivetrain, being it a 4 cyl I know that going much bigger is probably going to get me into trouble.

Time Online: 5 Days 19 Hrs 21 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by screwen View Post
    if you are going SOA the best thing to use is a set of old yj leafs as they flex like crazy. when you get into lift springs they are a whole lot stiffer and you lose that flex.

if you have the skills and equipment to do a soa then there is no question. that is the way to go!! because if you end up likeing wheeling you are going to end up with a SOA jeep anyways!

and in my oppinion 33's are the ideal tire for a SOA yj with stock drive train.

just my $.02
    ^^I agree, however do not cheap out on the steering especially if you plan on running it on the road. I've run the drop pitman arm, cross-over drag link and a full high steer and there is no comparison. The stock YJ leafs are great for flexing as mentioned until they bend/break. You should also invest in or build some sway bar dico's if you plan on doing lots of on-road driving. SOA is definitely not the cheap way to go by any means, but IMO it flexes and rides way better.
    OF4WD #5272
    '85 CJ7 Stock
    '03 Rubi, Nth Degree 4.5" LA, TT, Armoured.